Bad framerate --> No logic

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Hello guys, Im really upseat a bit now. I am using a Fujitsu Sieamans with Pentium 4, 3.00 Ghz, 2.00 GB ram, and using Radeon 9800 Pro (256 mb). The problem is that when i play Daoc, DR for example or ToA, I have really bad framerate while playing RvR etc, its almost constatly a yellow or red "F" triangle. I have also updated latest drivers etc and it imporved a little. I have no idea why my computer is doing this to me. I have a mate that runs almost the same as me except he have 1.0 gb ram and 128 mb grafic card. He can run 2 DR accs at the same time without any lag even at thoose big ml raids where it is about 100 ppl, He using best grafic without any kind of lag. So I wonder, What the hell is wrong with my computer ? Ive just re formated it again and installed all drivers etc, and still sucky framerate. Im really bothered with this because it's hard to do anything fun in RvR when the time comes to have any fun. So, If there is anyone that have any clue what the hell this is about, please help me! Thanks

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
post specs and more info, could be a number of things virus, spyware, conflicting drivers, chipset drivers or bios settings?

Has this happened recently or has it always been the case since you got the system is it new etc etc etc

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Is there lots of hard drive acitivity when you lag ? This can indicate lots of textures being loaded into the graphics card's memory, which can slow things down (especially if the camelot directory is not excluded from the live virus checking, or is on a slow disk, a fragmented disk, or is on a disk not currently runnning as Ultra DMA due to Windows or BIOS settings, or if you're out of main memory and it's shunting stuff to Pagefile in order to load the textures).

Things I always try to do to ensure performance :

Stick quality of graphics to Performance rather than Quality on the Graphics card.
Exclude Camelot directory from live AV checking (but make sure it's included in a weekly check).
Set colour depth to 16 bit rather than 32 bit (you can't really tell visually).
Defrag the drive frequently (I use DisKeeper Pro, set to defrag when the screensaver is on, to keep the drive in top condition).
Make sure there are no unneccessary programs that use significant memory, processor, network or hard drive access running on the PC (ie Messenger, file sharing progs, big downloads, etc). I don't do too much task killing, but you can if you want, and are careful (lots of sites on the net, but your milage may vary, and you can screw things up).

That's all assuming you've got all the drivers sorted.
Remember, install chipset drivers first, then graphics drivers. Make sure you have no yellow or red flags at all in Device Manager.

Always do a decent Virus and spyware scan, too. It's worth checking your Firewall for any unusual activity as well (Stuff from GOA network being blocked, stuff outbound from your PC being blocked - can be virus/spyware).

Darzil

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
post specs and more info, could be a number of things virus, spyware, conflicting drivers, chipset drivers or bios settings?

Has this happened recently or has it always been the case since you got the system is it new etc etc etc

Is this enough info for you ? And btw, It has always been like this, nothing that happend the past few weeks, :(

< Processor >
Model: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Speed: 2.99GHz
Performance Rating: PR3981 (estimated)
Cores per Processor: 1 Unit(s)
Threads per Core: 2 Unit(s)
Internal Data Cache: 8kB Synchronous, Write-Thru, 4-way set, 64
byte line size
L2 On-board Cache: 512kB ECC Synchronous, ATC, 8-way set, 64
byte line size, 2 lines per sector

< Mainboard >
Bus(es): X-Bus AGP PCI IMB USB FireWire/1394 i2c/SMBus
MP Support: No
MP APIC: Yes
System BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS // Phoenix Technologies Ltd.
4.06 Rev. 1.05.1627.01
System: FUJITSU SIEMENS D1627
Mainboard: FUJITSU SIEMENS D1627
Total Memory: 2GB DDR-SDRAM

< Chipset 1 >
Model: Fujitsu Siemens Computers 82865G/PE/P, 82848P
DRAM Controller / Host-Hub Interface
Front Side Bus Speed: 4x 200MHz (800MHz data rate)
Total Memory: 2GB DDR-SDRAM
Memory Bus Speed: 2x 133MHz (266MHz data rate)

< Video System >
Monitor/Panel: Plug and Play-bildskärm
Adapter: RADEON 9800 SERIES
Adapter: RADEON 9800 SERIES - Secondary
Imaging Device: TwinkleCam Pro USB Camera

< Physical Storage Devices >
Removable Drive: Diskettenhet
Hard Disk: WDC WD2500JB-55EVA0 (233GB)
Hard Disk: SMSC USB 2 HS-CF USB Device
Hard Disk: SMSC USB 2 HS-MS USB Device
Hard Disk: SMSC USB 2 HS-SD/MMC USB Device
Hard Disk: SMSC USB 2 HS-SM USB Device
CD-ROM/DVD: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B (CD 32X Rd) (DVD 4X
Rd)
CD-ROM/DVD: _NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A (CD 40X Rd, 16X Wr) (DVD
5X Rd)

< Logical Storage Devices >
1.44MB 3.5" (A:): N/A
Hard Disk (C:): 233GB (210GB, 90% Free Space) (NTFS)

< Peripherals >
Serial/Parallel Port(s): 2 COM / 1 LPT
USB Controller/Hub: Intel(R) 82801EB USB Universal Host
Controller - 24D2
Controller - 24D4
Controller - 24D7
USB Controller/Hub: Intel(R) 82801EB USB2 Enhanced Host
Controller - 24DD
Controller - 24DE
USB Controller/Hub: USB-rotnav (hub)
USB Controller/Hub: USB-masslagringsenhet
USB Controller/Hub: USB-enhet (sammansatt)
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub: OHCI-kompatibel IEEE 1394-värdstyrenhet
FireWire/1394 Controller/Hub: OHCI-kompatibel IEEE 1394-värdstyrenhet
Keyboard: Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/
2 Keyboard
Mouse: Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical
Human Interface: Microsoft USB Wheel Mouse Optical

< MultiMedia Device(s) >
Device: Creative Audigy Audio Processor (WDM)
Device: Creative Game Port

< Communication Device(s) >
Device: MSP3885-E 56K PCI Modem

< Printers and Faxes >
Model: Automatisk HP LaserJet 1100 på BENGT-
HKHVUBAH3

< Power Management >
AC Line Status: On-Line

< Operating System(s) >
Windows System: Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86)
5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

< Network Services >
Adapter: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Is there lots of hard drive acitivity when you lag ? This can indicate lots of textures being loaded into the graphics card's memory, which can slow things down (especially if the camelot directory is not excluded from the live virus checking, or is on a slow disk, a fragmented disk, or is on a disk not currently runnning as Ultra DMA due to Windows or BIOS settings, or if you're out of main memory and it's shunting stuff to Pagefile in order to load the textures).

Things I always try to do to ensure performance :

Stick quality of graphics to Performance rather than Quality on the Graphics card.
Exclude Camelot directory from live AV checking (but make sure it's included in a weekly check).
Set colour depth to 16 bit rather than 32 bit (you can't really tell visually).
Defrag the drive frequently (I use DisKeeper Pro, set to defrag when the screensaver is on, to keep the drive in top condition).
Make sure there are no unneccessary programs that use significant memory, processor, network or hard drive access running on the PC (ie Messenger, file sharing progs, big downloads, etc). I don't do too much task killing, but you can if you want, and are careful (lots of sites on the net, but your milage may vary, and you can screw things up).

That's all assuming you've got all the drivers sorted.
Remember, install chipset drivers first, then graphics drivers. Make sure you have no yellow or red flags at all in Device Manager.

Always do a decent Virus and spyware scan, too. It's worth checking your Firewall for any unusual activity as well (Stuff from GOA network being blocked, stuff outbound from your PC being blocked - can be virus/spyware).

Darzil

Already tried evertyhing u said, its still the same problem, :(

Saraden

Loyal Freddie
i got amd 3000 64, 1gb ram, geforce 6800 gti, and i am far from flawless gameplay as well. On crowded areas i get aroudn 20 fps on DR client, and i would really excpect to get more. Annoying when you can't find out what's wrong.

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Saraden said:
i got amd 3000 64, 1gb ram, geforce 6800 gti, and i am far from flawless gameplay as well. On crowded areas i get aroudn 20 fps on DR client, and i would really excpect to get more. Annoying when you can't find out what's wrong.

Agree mate, but the silly thing is that there shouldn't be any lag :/

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Do you get any random reboots or crash's either in game or doing anything else?

Try running memtest86 for a good length of time www.memtest.org you should have no errors.

Could it be a temperature or power issue?
how does your pc cope with something like 3dmark or other games?

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
Do you get any random reboots or crash's either in game or doing anything else?

Try running memtest86 for a good length of time www.memtest.org you should have no errors.

Could it be a temperature or power issue?
how does your pc cope with something like 3dmark or other games?

Well, I almost never get any crashes or random reboots, but yeah, It has happend a few times though. When playing CoD 2 for example, And using 800x600 resolution and lowest grapfic etc etc it is very bad framerate aswell when there is many enemies around. Other games such as Starcraft or Baldurs Gate 2 is no problem. I will try running that test and see what happends. Thanks !

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Okey, Ive tested the memtest, I had no errors, so whats next or aint there any solution?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
CocaCola said:
Ive dl and installed it, still same problem, sigh :/

Some ati cards seem to be affected more than others, my X1800XL and 9800 pro and even my 9700 pro are fine, tested all 3 with DR in jordheim and they are fine.

May be worth a try to upgrade chipset drivers and try using custom drivers (Omega Drivers)

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:
Some ati cards seem to be affected more than others, my X1800XL and 9800 pro and even my 9700 pro are fine, tested all 3 with DR in jordheim and they are fine.

May be worth a try to upgrade chipset drivers and try using custom drivers (Omega Drivers)[/QUOTE

Well, How do I upgrade chipset drivers? Do i need to buy something new ? And how do I download Omegad Drivers ?

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
CocaCola said:
Naffets said:

May be worth a try to upgrade chipset drivers and try using custom drivers (Omega Drivers)[/QUOTE

Well, How do I upgrade chipset drivers? Do i need to buy something new ? And how do I download Omegad Drivers ?

Your chipset drivers are those relating to your motherboard, from what you've already posted I cant determine the brand or model so cant find them for you just go to the manufacturers website and find the correct ones.

the omega drivers are basically the same as catalyst drivers with different settings etc and can be found here http://www.omegadrivers.net/ before you install them uninstall your existing gfx driver via control panel then use driver cleaner pro to remove any stubborn bits left over and install them.

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
CocaCola said:
Your chipset drivers are those relating to your motherboard, from what you've already posted I cant determine the brand or model so cant find them for you just go to the manufacturers website and find the correct ones.

the omega drivers are basically the same as catalyst drivers with different settings etc and can be found here http://www.omegadrivers.net/ before you install them uninstall your existing gfx driver via control panel then use driver cleaner pro to remove any stubborn bits left over and install them.

Allright, Ive got the latest version of chipset already, gonna try install omega driver now, thanks

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
OKey, Ive got omega drivers now and fps is showing, It really strange beacuse Im running on like 35-40 for 5 secs or something and then it drops dwon to 1-10 and then back to 35-40, and it goes on like that. Strange :/

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
CocaCola said:
OKey, Ive got omega drivers now and fps is showing, It really strange beacuse Im running on like 35-40 for 5 secs or something and then it drops dwon to 1-10 and then back to 35-40, and it goes on like that. Strange :/

Odd, sorry my explanation was vague earlier, i was probably working at a guess. This sounds silly, but try a defrag, i've had a problem before where my system dropped to a very low number of fps for a few seconds then skipped back up, i seem to remember that fixing it.

Another thing or two to try, try running the game in 2000 compatibility mode (Right click the icon you use as a shortcut, click properties, goto compatibility, selection win 2000 from there, click apply and ok)

Try setting no page file in windows since you have 2gb of memory, see how you get on with that. To do so, right click my computer, left click properties, click on advanced, then under performance click settings, goto advanced and then change. Select no page file on any drive, click apply, reboot and see how you get on from there. I'll check back tomorrow to see how you are getting on.

Edit: I have more things that are worth running through, but try these first.

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Thegreatest said:
It could also be that your cpu or gpu is getting too hot...

Well, Its the same problem when Ive just started up comp and loged than if it has been on for some hours. And the computer doesn't feel to hot and it doesn't make any sound. Any way to check it?

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Naffets said:
Odd, sorry my explanation was vague earlier, i was probably working at a guess. This sounds silly, but try a defrag, i've had a problem before where my system dropped to a very low number of fps for a few seconds then skipped back up, i seem to remember that fixing it.

Another thing or two to try, try running the game in 2000 compatibility mode (Right click the icon you use as a shortcut, click properties, goto compatibility, selection win 2000 from there, click apply and ok)

Try setting no page file in windows since you have 2gb of memory, see how you get on with that. To do so, right click my computer, left click properties, click on advanced, then under performance click settings, goto advanced and then change. Select no page file on any drive, click apply, reboot and see how you get on from there. I'll check back tomorrow to see how you are getting on.

Edit: I have more things that are worth running through, but try these first.

Oh well, it doesn't jump now atleast, and in housing im running on like 5-20 fps :/ , and overall i get about 15-25 fps. Only time the fps is steady is when Im not moving. When i move it goes down to red.

SkarIronfist

Fledgling Freddie
Well I would look at your processer usage. Use the task manager to see if you are capping out at 100%.

If you are, then swap tab and see what processes are utilizing the most resource.

If you aren't at 100%, then its not likely to be cpu holding back the frame rate. Remember it will probably start dropping down, when you alt tab away from DAOC. If its 100% then check that its DAOC thats sucking the cpu utilization. If its 100% and its DAOC, then its time for a CPU upgrade.

When you start moving do you experience alot of disk access, then if no it means you aren't experiencing to much texture swapping.

But to be honest I suspect the card, the 9800 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

But all I can recomemd there is borrow your friends gfx card for the weekend. You said he had a good card. Try that and see what happens. Gfx card swap is nice and straight forward (What card did you say he had?).

BTW what connection are you using to your DOAC servers and are you sharing that with anyone else ?

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
daoc takes up 90%-95% of my 3700 San diego core amd processor running at 2.8ghz, i need a new cpu apparently? My cpu has more throughput than a A64 FX-57 so I seriously doubt cpu is the cause of this problem tbh, particularly since im at in excess of 90fps in most areas. It's either graphics or hdd imo

9800 pro is an old card, even the 256 model will struggle these days. I'd recommend getting an X800XL AGP or so if you dont want to swap board, no matter what anyone says that WILL improve your performance ingame. (I have an X800XL in my work system and i had a 9800 pro at home with the rest of the two rigs the same so i can vouch for the difference)

X800XL AGPs retail at about 130 quid atm i think.

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
SkarIronfist said:
Well I would look at your processer usage. Use the task manager to see if you are capping out at 100%.

If you are, then swap tab and see what processes are utilizing the most resource.

If you aren't at 100%, then its not likely to be cpu holding back the frame rate. Remember it will probably start dropping down, when you alt tab away from DAOC. If its 100% then check that its DAOC thats sucking the cpu utilization. If its 100% and its DAOC, then its time for a CPU upgrade.

When you start moving do you experience alot of disk access, then if no it means you aren't experiencing to much texture swapping.

But to be honest I suspect the card, the 9800 is getting a bit long in the tooth.

But all I can recomemd there is borrow your friends gfx card for the weekend. You said he had a good card. Try that and see what happens. Gfx card swap is nice and straight forward (What card did you say he had?).

BTW what connection are you using to your DOAC servers and are you sharing that with anyone else ?

Well, It looks like this...

attachment.php

And im sure it's not my graphic card. Ive talked with a friend who knows much about stuff like that and he told me that i defenitly didnt need to buy a new card. And Im on 8 mbits/s sharing with another comp in my home network. I never have latency problems. It is just the framerate or fps. Btw, Ive heard that it might work to have "checksum" deactivated, but unfortinly I it is not in the list. :(

Attachments

• namnlös.JPG
    namnlös.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 35

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Oh well, I did the 3DMark03 and guess what ? I scored 4600ish. Hurray! I can't belive what is so bad :(

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
Download http://www.hdtune.com/ and run the error scan and benchmark.

Also http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php will tell you what temperatures are (it also has a tab for S.M.A.R.T) which will help you see any faults with your hard disk.

your graphics card isn't terrible and should run doac without a problem I'm using a 9700pro and have decent frame rates.

CocaCola

Fledgling Freddie
Yeke said:
Download http://www.hdtune.com/ and run the error scan and benchmark.

Also http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php will tell you what temperatures are (it also has a tab for S.M.A.R.T) which will help you see any faults with your hard disk.

your graphics card isn't terrible and should run doac without a problem I'm using a 9700pro and have decent frame rates.

attachment.php

This is my temperature, any ideas?

Attachments

• temp.JPG
    temp.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 40

Pirkel

Fledgling Freddie
CocaCola said:
attachment.php

This is my temperature, any ideas?

Ehm that 3rd temperature is WAY to high .. nothing on your pc should be 127c ever :(

Phoebee-v-

Fledgling Freddie
Pirkel said:
Ehm that 3rd temperature is WAY to high .. nothing on your pc should be 127c ever :(

:eek6:

agree..... under 50 is good under 60 is okey over 70 you should do something. over 100 I wouldn't consider starting it at all....

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
That must be a misreading tbh, the pc wouldn't turn on if a component were that hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom