Backwards nutcase country

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
signed.

now just awaiting the "we cant mess in other countries affairs" group.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Signed aswell, what an absolute pile of crap.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Well its not that unusual for over the top sentences to be handed out in the UK for what could be claimed as self-defence so I struggle to see what your problem with this is. Perhaps you have more detail than the incredibly one-sided story from the linked article.

Clearly the self-defence argument wasnt accepted and she was found guilty of murder. In many countries that have the death penalty as an option it would be used in a murder case.

It might seem extreme: but your reaction is just typical 'Daily Mail reader' bollocks.

DaGaffer

Tom said:
Probably fruit/veg.

Can't say I notice stuff like that. I've googled this story and I have to say I find it odd that it only seems to be popping up on right-wing American Christian news sites and blogs. Nothing on the BBC or Reuters or AP and this is a fairly old story according to the original link (Jan 7).

I'm no big fan of Iran and I really do think Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is a nutcase (even the Ayatollahs think he's off the reservation), but I'll reserve judgement on this; I'm sure its possible, but the internet throws up a lot of crap.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
How about boycotting Saudi Arabia as well, where they execute people for the crime of being Gay?

Although that wouldn't be a huge issue over here, because they are quite clearly our friends. Saudi arabia is almost as bad as Iran in terms of it's human rights abuses, but that is overlooked a lot of the time.

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Nazanin, who was 17 years old at the time of the incident, said that after the three men started to throw stones at them, the two girls’ boyfriends quickly escaped on their motorbikes leaving the pair helpless.

What the fuck kind of men are they? They run off and leave thier girls behind?

They're almost as bad as the people attacking the girls in the first place tbh, christ, thats shamefull.

Signed

Dukat

Resident Freddy
Personally I dont rate the poor girls chances - look at the history in that news article:

Last week, a court in the city of Rasht, northern Iran, sentenced Delara Darabi to death by hanging charged with murder when she was 17 years old. Darabi has denied the charges.

In August 2004, Iran’s Islamic penal system sentenced a 16-year-old girl, Atefeh Rajabi, to death after a sham trial, in which she was accused of committing “acts incompatible with chastity”.

The teenage victim had no access to a lawyer at any stage and efforts by her family to retain one were to no avail. Atefeh personally defended herself and told the religious judge that he should punish those who force women into adultery, not the victims. She was eventually hanged in public in the northern town of Neka.

Sorry if this sounds at all racist, but just lately, the more I hear about Arabs (and the middle east in general), the more I'm disgusted with the lot of them, I mean just who in the hell does this kind of thing to a 17 year old girl??? :puke: "Sickening" is putting what I'm feeling right now lightly.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Dukat said:
Personally I dont rate the poor girls chances - look at the history in that news article:

Sorry if this sounds at all racist, but just lately, the more I hear about Arabs (and the middle east in general), the more I'm disgusted with the lot of them, I mean just who in the hell does this kind of thing to a 17 year old girl??? :puke: "Sickening" is putting what I'm feeling right now lightly.

Yes it does sound racist.

For the following reasons.

The laws in question (sharia) are (loosely) based upon islam and in fact are socio political tools for control.

Not all Arabs are Islamic. About 10% of arabs are Christian, and 10% of the population of Israel define tehmselves as christian arabs (and subsequently are one of the most oppressed gorups in the world...)
Most Muslims don't subcribe to sharia law anyway, most condemn it as much as we do.

DaGaffer

yaruar said:
How about boycotting Saudi Arabia as well, where they execute people for the crime of being Gay?

Although that wouldn't be a huge issue over here, because they are quite clearly our friends. Saudi arabia is almost as bad as Iran in terms of it's human rights abuses, but that is overlooked a lot of the time.

You'll get no argument from me. Saudi Arabia is probably worse than Iran. At least Iran has an electoral system of sorts, and (despite this article) I understand women have more rights in Iran than Saudi (I don't know if that's just a Shia thing though; Saudi Wahabiism is pretty hard-core).

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Not really racist. The trouble is you lot over here pontificating about such topics are irrelevant.
The thing is a lot of people in a lot of the countries not considered "western" are in the dark ages as far as religion and economics are concerned. We then try to judge them by our standards, and impose democracy upon them, when really thats the last thing they want or need or trust.

Oh dear what have I said :(

dysfunction

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
Not really racist. The trouble is you lot over here pontificating about such topics are irrelevant.
The thing is a lot of people in a lot of the countries not considered "western" are in the dark ages as far as religion and economics are concerned. We then try to judge them by our standards, and impose democracy upon them, when really thats the last thing they want or need or trust.

The right thing tbh...

Go Throd!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Cheers mate :)

No-one liked my link though, not even a little titter ... :(

Dukat

Resident Freddy
yaruar said:
Yes it does sound racist.

For the following reasons.

The laws in question (sharia) are (loosely) based upon islam and in fact are socio political tools for control.

Not all Arabs are Islamic. About 10% of arabs are Christian, and 10% of the population of Israel define tehmselves as christian arabs (and subsequently are one of the most oppressed gorups in the world...)
Most Muslims don't subcribe to sharia law anyway, most condemn it as much as we do.

Yea, I can see what you're saying there.

I didnt mean to sound like I meant every arab, I understand that there are exceptions to the rule, and that probably alot of them are not like the people in these news topics, point taken. ;)

Even so, what in the hell were those blokes doing running away and leaving the girls like that?

Regardless of all other facts in this case, I just cant understand why, much less how those men could run away on thier motorbikes and leave the girls to be attacked.

I dont know about anyone else here, but I'd rather face the chances of being killed fighting off the gang attacking the girls than run away and let them be attacked like that.

Doubt I'll ever understand cowardice like that, truely sickening.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
throdgrain said:
Cheers mate :)

No-one liked my link though, not even a little titter ... :(

I had a little titter, she was quite fun, but that was a long time ago...

Calaen

throdgrain said:

I agree with you Throd, this kind of justice no doubt helps keep the crime rates down I would suspect.

However taking what little information there is in that report, how can someone have no access to lawyers at all? I would expect many females would do the same thing if they were in the same situation. In this case how can you blame her.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Thats exactly my point though cal. They behave like this, we say "how can they have no access to lawyers?" etc, the reason is,as much as anything, because they dont live in a western democracy, they really dont subscribe to the rules and way of life we set out for ourselves. In many ways , they really do live in the fucking dark ages as far is religion is concerned, and religion pervades every aspect of thier lives.
They say every other second, somewhere in the world, someone dies. How many people are murdered, or suffer outrageous wrongs, somewhere in the world, every minute. What can we do about it, really? Not a lot, and even when we do, albeit misguidedly in the case of Iraq, they dont want out help anyway.

Will

/bin/su
DaGaffer said:
Thought so. Didn't take much effort to see they have an axe to grind. Like I said, it doesn't mean there isn't a grain of truth to this, but the lack of 'real' coverage makes me doubtful.
The lack of a full name makes this story impossible to verify. I can't find a primary source, or anything which isn't the same article rehashed.

Calaen

throdgrain said:
Thats exactly my point though cal. They behave like this, we say "how can they have no access to lawyers?" etc, the reason is,as much as anything, because they dont live in a western democracy, they really dont subscribe to the rules and way of life we set out for ourselves. In many ways , they really do live in the fucking dark ages as far is religion is concerned, and religion pervades every aspect of thier lives.
They say every other second, somewhere in the world, someone dies. How many people are murdered, or suffer outrageous wrongs, somewhere in the world, every minute. What can we do about it, really? Not a lot, and even when we do, albeit misguidedly in the case of Iraq, they dont want out help anyway.

You are very right, but when it is brought to your attention it makes you wonder. Its like people standing out of side of shops with money collection tins I cannot walk past without giving money. I pay a monthly fee for Orphans in third world countries. Just to know I could be helping someone out is a nice thought.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
I worry more about our own country tbh.
When I learned Gordon Brown was going to borrow money to give 8 billion pounds to third world countries that was the final nail in the coffin of my Labour voting years. I never asked him to do that, as far as Im aware that was never a stated intention in the labour electoral campaign, Im amazed hes done it.
On a far more interesting note though, you playing in the match tonight on aztec or what big boy ? :)

Moo

Fledgling Freddie
I forget that we in the west are so very enlightened and people in any country that does anything we disapprove of are 'backward nutcases'.

Grow up.

DaGaffer

throdgrain said:
I worry more about our own country tbh.
When I learned Gordon Brown was going to borrow money to give 8 billion pounds to third world countries that was the final nail in the coffin of my Labour voting years. I never asked him to do that, as far as Im aware that was never a stated intention in the labour electoral campaign, Im amazed hes done it.
On a far more interesting note though, you playing in the match tonight on aztec or what big boy ? :)

Labour Manifesto 2005 said:
Aid is currently 0.36% per cent of national income and they have committed to raise to 0.47% by 2008. Their manifesto says they have a “timetable – 2013 – for achieving the UN target of 0.7 per cent”.

UK GNP is over £1 trillion. All that's happened is that Brown has brought in a very long-standing UN/G8 commitment to fruition slightly ahead of the manifesto schedule, but actually a long time behind the original commitment to the UN.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Moo said:
I forget that we in the west are so very enlightened and people in any country that does anything we disapprove of are 'backward nutcases'.

Grow up.

Since when would a potential rape victim be sentenced to death in this country, and without legal representation at that?

Like I said, and if it is true, they need dragging into todayworld.

And just in case someone says "none of our business naa naa", just because the bloke who fixes cars at the end of the road tortures cats for fun doesn't mean I can't critisise it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom