PS4 Backwards Compatibility

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Probably because people have been asking for it for so long, ever since the older PS3 models that had backwards compat stopped getting made people were demanding it, nice that sony started to listen though.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
All PS3s have ps1 emu, it was just the fats that had ps2.
Played a bunch of rage racer and time crisis on my ps3 :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I thought this was always going to happen, didn't they announce it at one of the early reveal conferences?

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Good idea though really, means when I finally do get around to buying a PS4 i'll likely be able to get FF1-12 on the PS4 and/if they allow PS3 games to work on the PS4 (not sure if they already do or not) i'll even be able to get the newer ones just to finish off the collection so to speak.

I like this idea

Bigmac

Part of the furniture
Another reason to pick a PS4 over the xbox 180 if you ask me.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I thought this was always going to happen, didn't they announce it at one of the early reveal conferences?
My surprise is that it will be local not through online means.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Think they just reprogramming the old games to be sold on ps store to be able to run on ps4. Not like you can put your ps1 disk in and it will work

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
They will be making a load of older games available on Sony smart TVs and "other" devices soon™ too so fingers crossed that other devices includes PC!

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I can see the Playstation Now service being a bit shit to start with, but getting better over time, much like Netflix did.
As for emulating PS1 and 2 games on the PS4, it makes sense. That way the Now service is only streaming PS3 games. It's not like the PS4 can't handle emulating pre-pre and pre-pre-pre gen software

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
I will probably get a PS4 in the summer but still love the Xbone right now. Never understood the fanboi mentality and the vitriol that it seems to inspire. Each unit has its own merits and for Middle East Xbox is better with local servers available. Closest Sony ones are in EU so 150+ mS ping to start, not great for FPS which most of the kids play, including my son.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I will probably get a PS4 in the summer but still love the Xbone right now. Never understood the fanboi mentality and the vitriol that it seems to inspire. Each unit has its own merits and for Middle East Xbox is better with local servers available. Closest Sony ones are in EU so 150+ mS ping to start, not great for FPS which most of the kids play, including my son.
dont play fps on a console dur !

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Dur dont let your son play FPS ona console it's child cruelty
lol, I figure its better than vegging out in front of the goggle box. He's active plays rugby, football and waterpolo so I have no issue with some gaming in his spare time. Hell I could hardly tell him no when I like gaming myself.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I meant get them playing FPS on a pc with a mouse and keyboard like they are supposed to be played.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
A console fanboy mate of mine is lamenting the amount of games that have been released (on either console) seems there is just a trickle at the moment. Seems more quality is still being released on PS3 lately.

I am glad I didn't get the PS4 on release now, will get it in a couple of years.

leggy

Probably Scottish
A console fanboy mate of mine is lamenting the amount of games that have been released.

He's obviously found a secret stash of games from a parallel universe where the next gen release lineup isn't a bag of shit.

Agree with you regarding the PS3. I bought one instead of the PS4 and have had a great time playing all the old exclusives and the fucking awesome selection of free games with the PS+ sub (including XCOM.... FREE!) :)

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
A console fanboy mate of mine is lamenting the amount of games that have been released (on either console) seems there is just a trickle at the moment. Seems more quality is still being released on PS3 lately.

I am glad I didn't get the PS4 on release now, will get it in a couple of years.
That's exactly where I hit with PS3, wait for the Slim, wait for the Slim!

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
I got my old shape PS3 just after the slims came out, was about £150 new in a clearance sale

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Still got an old shaped ps3 with a 300gb hdd added into it

ECA

I am a FH squatter
He's obviously found a secret stash of games from a parallel universe where the next gen release lineup isn't a bag of shit.

Agree with you regarding the PS3. I bought one instead of the PS4 and have had a great time playing all the old exclusives and the fucking awesome selection of free games with the PS+ sub (including XCOM.... FREE!) :)

Demon souls, dark souls, dark souls 2. get on that shit :)

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
GT6 too, the best driving game on the planet and not on the latest consoles. And for the final fantasy fan boys (like me!) FF10 HD in March.

I am surprised they didn't release them on PS4 exclusively, they would blow X-Bone 180 out of the water even more.

leggy

Probably Scottish
Demon souls, dark souls, dark souls 2. get on that shit :)

I got demon souls and dark souls a while back but Dark Souls gives me the rage :) .... had to give it a rest until the additional stress fro work subsided :)

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
GT6 too, the best driving game on the planet and not on the latest consoles. And for the final fantasy fan boys (like me!) FF10 HD in March.

I am surprised they didn't release them on PS4 exclusively, they would blow X-Bone 180 out of the water even more.

Good God, I agree with raven on something. I think I need a lie down.

(GT6 rocks, even though it killed my PS3 Fat).

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
They'll be raking money in if their emulation works out.

"Emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom