PC Master Race Back4Blood

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Anyone else playing this?

Didn’t really want to stump up cash for it but have free Xbox Ultimate Pass so got it for nowt. Quite enjoying it tbh. More than I did L4D.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sorry Wijlet but no, it's awful.

Had such high hopes for it but then the beta was awful and the cards are just unnecessary complexity.

😐

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Sorry Wijlet but no, it's awful.

Had such high hopes for it but then the beta was awful and the cards are just unnecessary complexity.

😐
Not really. They add grind but then allow you to combine them to make builds. Higher difficulties aren’t possible without a good build. Just like Diablo or something. No big deal. There are guides :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not really. They add grind but then allow you to combine them to make builds. Higher difficulties aren’t possible without a good build. Just like Diablo or something. No big deal. There are guides :)
Can't agree with that, takes whether you're any good at a game away and transfers it to whether you've done enough grinding.

The fun of L4D was it was pick up and play and the variable was the squad. It's not a better recipe just different.

I don't begrudge anyone playing though, as they said on the escapist you're not getting L4D3 so take this or leave it, I'm just leaving it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Can't agree with that, takes whether you're any good at a game away and transfers it to whether you've done enough grinding.

The fun of L4D was it was pick up and play and the variable was the squad. It's not a better recipe just different.

I don't begrudge anyone playing though, as they said on the escapist you're not getting L4D3 so take this or leave it, I'm just leaving it.
You don’t need a good deck for Recruit level though. Any old shit plus common sense will get you through. Even on higher levels if you’ve got a squad who don’t alert the horde constantly.

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
I'm getting a deja Vu here.

I completed it on Veteran and haven't really had the urge to do the hardest difficulty.

The deck shit is cool when you have a bunch of cards, Meg is just one of those boomers that complain about new stuff ;)

Wij

I am a FH squatter

I completed it on Veteran and haven't really had the urge to do the hardest difficulty.

The deck shit is cool when you have a bunch of cards, Meg is just one of those boomers that complain about new stuff ;)
You did it online with randoms?

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber

I didn't glen a thread! :eek:

I don't see grinding as a massive value add is all. Costume stuff fine, achievements fine, quest items fine, mandatory hours of time investment to fully enjoy your purchase nah.

Gwadien

I didn't glen a thread! :eek:

I don't see grinding as a massive value add is all. Costume stuff fine, achievements fine, quest items fine, mandatory hours of time investment to fully enjoy your purchase nah.

I mean, it's hardly grinding - something that I'd define as doing something over and over again in order to do something else? You play *the* game, and that's how you get the cards. I barely grinded the game, that's why I suggest to everyone to start on Veteran, because you'll get the cards through repeated failures of missions which is more rewarding when you don't know what the next mission is going to be.

Also, purchase, that's probably where the disparity comes into it - I think it's a £20 game, but I didn't pay £20 for it. I probably wouldn't be impressed if I paid full price, much like all the other '£50' (also on gamepass) games like AOE4.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I mean, it's hardly grinding - something that I'd define as doing something over and over again in order to do something else? You play *the* game, and that's how you get the cards. I barely grinded the game, that's why I suggest to everyone to start on Veteran, because you'll get the cards through repeated failures of missions which is more rewarding when you don't know what the next mission is going to be.

Also, purchase, that's probably where the disparity comes into it - I think it's a £20 game, but I didn't pay £20 for it. I probably wouldn't be impressed if I paid full price, much like all the other '£50' (also on gamepass) games like AOE4.
If it was £20 it would be far more forgivable. But it's not £20 and it's also got a £20 annual pass that they hit people up for and have now discounted before a stitch of DLC had even been released.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I paid nowt except my Xbox pass.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm with @MYstIC G - I was thinking of getting this but I'm dead against upgrades in these sorts of games.

Hats? I'm all for 'em. Better *whatever*? .... :(

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm with @MYstIC G - I was thinking of getting this but I'm dead against upgrades in these sorts of games.

Hats? I'm all for 'em. Better *whatever*? .... :(
I don't get it. It allows you to build decks for different play-styles and roles. You can create a build that is great at taking down the big beasts at the expense of crowd control or vice versa. Or a speed-runner. Or a tank. Or super-healer. Gives it a bit of an RPG edge.

Good to have a mixed group, and to let people know what you're good at when you start a run so you know what to expect from each other and can coordinate.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
I don't get it. It allows you to build decks for different play-styles and roles. You can create a build that is great at taking down the big beasts at the expense of crowd control or vice versa. Or a speed-runner. Or a tank. Or super-healer. Gives it a bit of an RPG edge.

Good to have a mixed group, and to let people know what you're good at when you start a run so you know what to expect from each other and can coordinate.
Because it's like TF2 when nobody wants to be a doctor except amplified because either people can't be X because they don't have the build or they'll never be X because they've got build Y and that's it. Plus it's not an RPG its an FPS.

In L4D those decisions are all simpler and less immersion breaking.

That plus money grubbing developer = bad
Like I said though Wijlet, none of that matters of you're enjoying it.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
It's not really like TF2 because the medic can still get all the same guns and upgrades and still spends most of the time doing killing.

But as you say, no big deal. People like different things. S'all good :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
It's not really like TF2 because the medic can still get all the same guns and upgrades and still spends most of the time doing killing.

But as you say, no big deal. People like different things. S'all good :)
Well xbox game pass is £1/month for 3 months, so I guess I'll have a go :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I did that and then I’ve got a promo from buying my gaming laptop too.

I can also share it with my son. Would be stupid not to really. Been caning Forza and B4B on it and still need to start on Halo infinite and AoE4…

Gwadien

I can also share it with my son. Would be stupid not to really. Been caning Forza and B4B on it and still need to start on Halo infinite and AoE4…

You can use it on top of the free trial, you may aswell go find your son a new account trial for £1.

Unless he already has an Xbox sub that is ofc. (Which is the case, you still may be able to use a free trial for PC too)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

What is your name on Xbox? Haven't seen a player called HourlyWanker?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm a bit "meh" about it. Just halfway though the first act. The lack of them putting in any story about the characters means I dont' really give a shit about them. And the lack of pushing the horde back with a click of your left mouse button means you don't feel like you're wading through a big pile of zombie shit.

Pretty. Pointless.

Maybe it'd be better with a load of people. But I liked No Mercy (for example) not just for the map but because of the story told as you went through it - then I enjoyed it a second time round because you felt like you were working through that story a bit.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I'm a bit "meh" about it. Just halfway though the first act. The lack of them putting in any story about the characters means I dont' really give a shit about them. And the lack of pushing the horde back with a click of your left mouse button means you don't feel like you're wading through a big pile of zombie shit.

Pretty. Pointless.

Maybe it'd be better with a load of people. But I liked No Mercy (for example) not just for the map but because of the story told as you went through it - then I enjoyed it a second time round because you felt like you were working through that story a bit.
Left click fires gun or swings bat. You can push them back with your fists while you reload.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Left click fires gun or swings bat. You can push them back with your fists while you reload.
Yeah, it's a bit shit. (And punch 'em is bound to V, so it's clearly not a core mechanic). Right click (sorry) used to be push 'em back with your gun. A much more satisfying mechanic.

They tried hard with the "cards cards cards" sell at the beginning too. But I got bored of it and wanted to get into the story. Turns out the story is "you don't know anyone, they don't talk to each other, shoot some shit with zero emotional hooks to hang your peril on"...

I doubt it'll get booted back up tbh. Already downloading Halo Infinite's campaign and Humankind.

Edit: And the hot tub I've rented is warming up. So as soon as that gets hot I'm going to sit in that (in the pouring rain) and continue to drink the remaining 65 pints of Ysgawen I've got in my barn :)

Last edited:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You need a story to shoot zombies? If Left 4 Dead had one I’m fucked if I remember it :)

Gwadien

Give Riftbreaker a go too, if you like Factorio/satisfactory - worthabuy gave them game of the year.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Yeah @Scouse you're chatting arse, there was no story with L4D either...
Hard disagree. Apart from the setting (the zombie outbreak was still relatively new to the characters) there was real character development. They talked to each other as they met up, introduced each other. As they went through the game they developed relationships. It was really cleverly done from valve - was a big value-add. The writer worked on both these games and the Portal games IIRC.

I sunk hundreds of hours into both L4D and L4D2 - I clealy like the genre. But there's a fuckton of FPS's - but it was the polish that valve applied that made me want to.

That and the other game mechanisms were important in creating a feel. This, however, feels like a pretty but dumb girl to me - it looks great but there's absolutely nothing that's hooking my interest.

I played a few hours of Halo Infinite's single player campaign last night. It's got more interest because there's a semblence of a story going on. However, it feels almost identical to the old games. I think I want more from games nowadays if I'm going to burn life up on them.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Yeah @Scouse you're chatting arse, there was no story with L4D either...
There's no big long explanations but there's a story woven in as otherwise nobody would care about Bill's sacrifice

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
There's no big long explanations but there's a story woven in as otherwise nobody would care about Bill's sacrifice
It's what Valve do really well - that makes their games that little bit head-and-tails above everyone else's. They weave a story into the game - whilst you're playing it - as opposed to cutscenes and the like.

It boggles my mind that it's not the "standard" now. Game designers should know better - they've had twenty years of example on how games should be made to bring your audience along (your buyers, who pay money) and they should be aiming for that emotional connection as a minimum.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the thing. The people who made "the greats" are sidelined (or didn't get what they actually did) and bombastic idiocy is the order of the day.

What puzzles me is that they must know that they've got 95% of game of the year in the bag - and that 5% that makes game of the year is the emotional experience. But they don't cater for it from the beginning :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom