Back Pain

opticle

Part of the furniture
http://www.patient.co.uk/health/Back-Pain.htm is worth a read. There's some good info there.

Rest is actually contraindicated for non-specific low back pain (i.e. no clear cause) - doctors recommending bed rest and time off work has been shown to prolong symptoms and worsen long term outcomes.

Hope it gets better, I had some back problems a while back - sucked massive balls, took about a year but got better :)

Zede

Part of the furniture
Colour, high detail. 2 Weeks healing time. 2 arms, back piece, leg piece (next week)

your obviously not using Bepantham then ! 2 weeks is ridiculous. 1 week with the bep and not even a scab forms, done and dusted in 7 days.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
I had a herniated disc in my mid back when I was 22, 36 now and between 22 and 35, twice a year I would be laid up for 3 days or so, followed by 3 weeks of noticing the pain.

What changed in the last year? After much physio and drugs in the preceeding 13 years, the only thing that has made a difference is a Tempur mattress.

Not some shitty budget mattressman special, the real deal.

I would happily appear on a cheesy advert for Tempur, they're fucking great.

And you don't have to pay the vat if you have a genuine medical reason for getting one :D

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Best advice I can give you is to stay the hell away from chiropracters - once they sink their claws into you they get you for life as a regular because all they give is temporary relief of symptoms in my opinion.
Well duh. Chiropractic is total bolox :)

Wij

I am a FH squatter
In what way exactly?

In the way that it is made-up bolox. Long established as quackery without any evidence to back it up. They may quote shaky studies showing a small benefit but that is easily explained away by both the placebo effect and that a certain amount of massage can help relieve a range of pains to some extent. It certainly has no greater benefit than any massage and it's key claims, namely those around subluxation, have been shown to be dangerous.

Check out the history around the treatment. Weirdos with no idea about evidence or efficacy.

About as convincing as reflexology (look up the history of that too :/) but actually dangerous.

Discussion of... http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=155947

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Not to sound snobbish laddey, but you do get what you pay for with mattereses, and frankly I wouldn't sleep my worst enemy on that.
I just spent 850 quid on this its got 1450 more springs than the one you have hehe ,.. and its lovely .. well i like firm beds :)

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Hey Laddey, nice to hear from you again! How's life treating you(besides the back problems)? And how's Megs doing?

Vladamir

FH is my second home
In the way that it is made-up bolox. Long established as quackery without any evidence to back it up. They may quote shaky studies showing a small benefit but that is easily explained away by both the placebo effect and that a certain amount of massage can help relieve a range of pains to some extent. It certainly has no greater benefit than any massage and it's key claims, namely those around subluxation, have been shown to be dangerous.

Check out the history around the treatment. Weirdos with no idea about evidence or efficacy.

About as convincing as reflexology (look up the history of that too :/) but actually dangerous.

Discussion of... http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=155947

Their anatomical knowledge is no different to that of a physio or an osteopath; it's merely they way they reason decisions thats different and that's based on a different treatment philosophy. I'd actually argue in a lot of cases that their knowledge of the neuromusculoskeletal system outweights that of a physio (and I speak as a physio) in a lot of cases because that is their pure focus.

A lot of people, rightly or wrongly, are quick to externalise causes for their pain because a quick fix didn't help, rather than addressing the only 23 hours and 30 minutes of their day spent in crap postures, movement patterns and so on :p

rynnor

Rockhound
I would be a bit careful discussing them - they are quite litigious.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Make sure your matress is top quality also - I used to get some back pain while lying on my bed (where i do a lot of reading) - bought myself a really decent matress and i've had no pain since.
Best advice ever. We spend 1/3 of our lives in our beds. Spend the money on a fantastic mattress and quality duvet/mattress covers. I spend the same amount on my spare room as my bedroom as I believe that if I want to sleep in a great environment so should my guests.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...mation-claim-against-simon-singh-1945827.html

You have to remember that the common sense outcome doesnt always happen at law - Singh won but it cost him over 200K.
He attacked a specific organisation, you can't be sued for thinking it's quackology, anymore than I can get sued for thinking that X-Factor is shite television. Others would disagree with me, but I haven't accused Simon Cowell of making the whole thing up and defrauding the British Public.

There's a big difference in law.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
X-Factor is real! As much as Star Trek :)

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
I cannot praise osteopaths highly enough. I'm a nurse and, like all nurses..prone to back pain. I 100% guarantee they will at least be able to assess you and tell you whether its muscular or skeletal, and probably give you some pain relief too. They are nothing like chiropractors, very gentle for the most part and treat the body as a whole, rather than just the affected area. By all means go to the Drs, and get a referral for some physio and probably an x ray too....just to make sure you haven't buggered a disc or something.
Don't use heat for an acute injury, use ice. An ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the affected area for 15 mins every hour as often as you can manage. Simple over the counter painkillers such as nurofen and paracetamol may help, particularly the nurofen seeing as its an anti-inflammatory, and you can take them together with no problems.
If you can, try and get hold of some stuff called Biofreeze
http://www.amazon.co.uk/mn/search/?...hvadid=8877858373&ref=pd_sl_389qtpux5g_b&rd=1
Its wonderful stuff and is currently really helping me with a very painful pelvis (complication of pregnancy.)
If you do a manual job and you HAVE hurt your back, then time off is really the only answer...unless you can do some non manual work like admin. Keep moving as much as you can, and if you're going to swim, swim backstroke or crawl, NOT breast stroke as it puts your upper back and neck in an odd alignment unless you're an olympic class swimmer.

For some info on osteopaths, and to find one near you
http://www.osteopathy.org/

Happy to answer any questions :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I cannot praise osteopaths highly enough. I'm a nurse and, like all nurses..prone to back pain. I 100% guarantee they will at least be able to assess you and tell you whether its muscular or skeletal, and probably give you some pain relief too. They are nothing like chiropractors, very gentle for the most part and treat the body as a whole, rather than just the affected area. By all means go to the Drs, and get a referral for some physio and probably an x ray too....just to make sure you haven't buggered a disc or something.
Don't use heat for an acute injury, use ice. An ice pack or a pack of frozen peas on the affected area for 15 mins every hour as often as you can manage. Simple over the counter painkillers such as nurofen and paracetamol may help, particularly the nurofen seeing as its an anti-inflammatory, and you can take them together with no problems.
If you can, try and get hold of some stuff called Biofreeze
http://www.amazon.co.uk/mn/search/?keywords=bio freeze&tag=googhydr-21&index=aps&hvadid=8877858373&ref=pd_sl_389qtpux5g_b&rd=1
Its wonderful stuff and is currently really helping me with a very painful pelvis (complication of pregnancy.)
If you do a manual job and you HAVE hurt your back, then time off is really the only answer...unless you can do some non manual work like admin. Keep moving as much as you can, and if you're going to swim, swim backstroke or crawl, NOT breast stroke as it puts your upper back and neck in an odd alignment unless you're an olympic class swimmer.

For some info on osteopaths, and to find one near you
http://www.osteopathy.org/

Happy to answer any questions :)
Hello!

Can I have a bed wash please? (ignore Vae :p)

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
Hi Deebs :)
Normally I would say yes with no hesitation....however, due to barely being able to move at the mo with said pelvic pain I am going to have to respectfully decline :(
Sorry :(

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

sayward

Resident Freddy
My physio is an osteopath. If you've seen everyone you can and it's nothing major I strongly reccommend rolling on a tennis ball. Lie on the floor, bend your knees, put the ball where it hurts and try and roll. You can also press it into the worst spot exactly like a physio would with his thumb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom