Baby Smacking - Is it acceptable?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Just saw on the news that a study showed that 80% of people would like a shop employee to intervene when a toddler is being smacked in their shop. What a load of ballony. I don't want anything to do with customer's and family relationships as a shop employee.

That said, do you think baby smacking is acceptable? Only at home? Or in the public too? If you don't think it's acceptable - how are we to show dominance over our children?

I know when I was a toddler, the fear of having a good ol' smack made me shut up...

Anywho, discuss!

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I lock all my babies in the basement with the lights off and occasionally throw scraps down to them when I can be bothered.

Milo (the eldest) is turning into a right little fighter, he's killed two of his brothers already, I'm so proud.

But when they do get out of hand, i.e. when trying to escape I've got an iron rod which does the job. A few swift blows to the head tends to stop them trying to escape, or anything else for that matter.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
youre sposed to teach them how to behave , teaching kids that smacking stuff is a solution is in general thought to be a bad idea :)

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
its fine. i wouldnt intervene. if the kids being smacked they did something wrong.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
Its a strange topic :-0

By all accounts if you believe in smacking your child to teach discipline, then your child should know what it can and cannot get away with. So when they are out shopping if the parents says no the child knows it if goes off on one a it will get a smack which should act as a deterrent to bad behaviour.

The problem I have is when parents who normally would not discipline their child and are just stressed out pissed off with the hassles of everything take it out on the kid when they are in a shop.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i think the only parents who smack kids are the pussy parents who have no conviction. the type of parent who cant make their kid do something from telling them to do it. the only way they can make A TINY HUMAN listen to them is with a bit of violence. there is something deeply wrong with them as a person if they cant dominate a little kid by only using their words, imo.

apparently i was never smacked (and i dont remember being smacked either) but if my mother told me to do something i sure as fuck did it. if she gave me that certain look that struck terror into my very being, i didnt need to be assaulted :p it is assault no matter how you look at it. but for some reason assaulting a child is less frowned upon than assaulting an adult? oh well.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
United Nations human rights standards prohibit all corporal punishment , so consensus seems to be that its illegal.

why anyone would think it wasnt is a mystery :)

Calaen

All that human rights shit is bollocks. How they can stand in the corner of a multiple rapist and murderer and tell us normal people that they still have rights shows what a joke this world is.

dub

One of Freddy's beloved
All that human rights shit is bollocks. How they can stand in the corner of a multiple rapist and murderer and tell us normal people that they still have rights shows what a joke this world is.

normal people exists due to society upholding law , feel free to bite the hand that feeds you thou :)

Calaen

normal people exists due to society upholding law , feel free to bite the hand that feeds you thou :)

Upholding should not be giving a murderer any rights. Plus I work to feed myself thank you.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
smacking is fine imo, crosses the line abit when the smacker starts laying into the kid cos they're having a bad day. But how else are these chavs of tomorrow gonna learn some fcking manners.
Funny thing is all the people that grew up being smacked turned out fine and banned it, and now w/o smacking chav's were born xD

leviathane

Part of the furniture
The problem I have is when parents who normally would not discipline their child and are just stressed out pissed off with the hassles of everything take it out on the kid when they are in a shop.
yea, when backed up with a legit reason on teaching kids discipline, doesn't have to be a hard smack just something to let em know NO then can't see the harm.
But don't think public displays of smacking are appropriate tbh.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
there is a hell of a difference between disciplining children and OMG CHILD ABUSE!!1

as long as you smack them, not beat them, and do it consistently then i have no problem with it.

tris-

there is a hell of a difference between disciplining children and OMG CHILD ABUSE!!1

as long as you smack them, not beat them, and do it consistently then i have no problem with it.

so why cant i smack an adult if they are out of line?

right, because its abuse.

you dont need to smack kids to teach them anything, if anything its poor parenting that leads you to have to smack a kid.

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's a useful last resort.

Toddlers don't have a sense of right and wrong and sometimes can't be reasoned with. If your child is on a rampage and speaking/shouting isn't getting through, sometimes a smack is enough to stop them.

As long as it isn't abuse, you shouldn't interfere.

Mojo

Fledgling Freddie
It's a useful last resort.

I agree, It has it's place but as a last resort, I don't smack my kids, and I don't need to but if I did I would like that right. It never did me any harm.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
I dont think smacking a child is right, at all.

As Tris pointed out, you cant smack adults, so why should it be OK to smack a little child? If anything, I think the parent who would smack their child is lazy, can't be bothered to get through to the child, so the parent chose the easy way out, violence. It can get pretty ugly effects. What does the child learn? If someone near him, lets say in school, annoy him or does something bad the right thing would be to smack him, which then could lead further.

No, I wouldnt say smacking a child is acceptable, at any time.

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
I very rarly smack my children and only in extreme cases I feel that it works better if they know theres a possability of it happening rather than a certainty or no chance at all.

I dont feel its wrong to smack within certain parameters but would always prefer to resolve something in other ways, however children are children and sometimes its the only way of restoring order.

If I was employed somewhere and witnessed smacking taking place I most certainly would not intervene unless ofc it was way out of line.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
so why cant i smack an adult if they are out of line?

right, because its abuse.

you dont need to smack kids to teach them anything, if anything its poor parenting that leads you to have to smack a kid.

firstly, i think you should be able to smack adults, and nasty scroty teenagers.

secondly, toddlers and small children do not have boundaries, these need to be learnt, smacking a child once should be enough , rather than repeatadly telling it stuff beyond a given level. tell them NO three times, then smack them.

Tip

One of Freddy's beloved
My daughter has had 2 smacks from me in her life and she is 13 years old now, and those smacks were more like boundry smacks tbh, talking > smacking.

smack your kids and you bray hell into them, not out of them.

Himse

FH is my second home
Haha, no offense but all these people who are "anti smacking" are just plain silly to be honest, its only a simple way of disciplining the child, because if they are being a right little shitbag, "Stop That" isn't really going to help, i guess pain will always stop a kid in his tracks.. as some people said above me, they have no boundries and smacking > talking.

It makes me angry to be honest, all these politically correct people are just fucking up the world for everyone else.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well i got plenty of smacks, fists in face, pots thrown at me and i'm *twitch* allright :D

Actually my dad, burn in hell if ya ever die you bastard excuse for an air vacuum, taught me well with those little punchbag exercises. I've never hit anyone, nor have i been hit by anyone else.

Not aiming to make children out of my pewpew's so that's not gonna be a problem.

Tip

One of Freddy's beloved
Haha, no offense but all these people who are "anti smacking" are just plain silly to be honest, its only a simple way of disciplining the child, because if they are being a right little shitbag, "Stop That" isn't really going to help, i guess pain will always stop a kid in his tracks.. as some people said above me, they have no boundries and smacking > talking.

It makes me angry to be honest, all these politically correct people are just fucking up the world for everyone else.

Depends on the child, my daughter is a little angel :)

Serbitar

Fledgling Freddie
i see nothing wrong with a smack on the arse, its not going to do any lasting physical or mental damage.

Its when the smacker uses either too much force - i.e. enough to leave a bruise, or is repeated in their smacking that it becomes abuse and should be stopped. a single smack is more for the shock to the child than anything else

tris-

im not PC in the slightest, could say im anti-pc. i just dont agree in smacking a small child, i think its weird that people even find it acceptable.

if the parent had some conviction about them and could put fear into the kid without smacking, they wouldnt need to smack them. if the kid is at a level where smacking is needed, maybe the parent should blame them selves instead of the kid. the parent has let them get out of control and is now too lazy to resolve it and would rather use violence.

Marc

FH is my second home
A clip round the legs does no one any harm and yes, I think in the right circumstances its ok. A simple "no" doesnt always work. I dont have children of my own, but a lot of my mates do and they arent naughty children at all, but sometimes they get carried away which a smack the round the legs soon sorts out.

When i were a lad, it was socially accepted that if you were naughty, you got smacked. Hell I even used to get a smack round the head from our local policeman. Its all about classic conditioning, Pavlovs dogs and all that. If you are naughty and you just get told off, big deal, its not going to stop you doing it again. If you get a smack round the legs, its going to make you think again.

Marc

FH is my second home
im not PC in the slightest, could say im anti-pc. i just dont agree in smacking a small child, i think its weird that people even find it acceptable.

if the parent had some conviction about them and could put fear into the kid without smacking, they wouldnt need to smack them. if the kid is at a level where smacking is needed, maybe the parent should blame them selves instead of the kid. the parent has let them get out of control and is now too lazy to resolve it and would rather use violence.

haha will tell my mate that tonight that hes a shit dad because when his two lads fight (2 lads, by the way, who are the nicest kids you could meet), the elder one doesnt leave off when he tells him to. (im not talking about a proper fight, they are 4 and 5)

Corran

Part of the furniture
Just saw on the news that a study showed that 80% of people would like a shop employee to intervene when a toddler is being smacked in their shop. What a load of ballony. I don't want anything to do with customer's and family relationships as a shop employee.

That said, do you think baby smacking is acceptable? Only at home? Or in the public too? If you don't think it's acceptable - how are we to show dominance over our children?

I know when I was a toddler, the fear of having a good ol' smack made me shut up...

Anywho, discuss!

Most kids need a good slap to be kept in check. No matter what punishment you give them they dont care most the time. However smacking has to be done in moderation and you cant do it in a way to cause alot of pain. Just enough to teach them. It actually makes them scared to misbehave!

Often when im out i want to hit some kids for 6 as the parents just let them get away with anything, but thats just me :)

[HB]Jpeg

Loyal Freddie
i think the only parents who smack kids are the pussy parents who have no conviction. the type of parent who cant make their kid do something from telling them to do it. the only way they can make A TINY HUMAN listen to them is with a bit of violence. there is something deeply wrong with them as a person if they cant dominate a little kid by only using their words, imo.

apparently i was never smacked (and i dont remember being smacked either) but if my mother told me to do something i sure as fuck did it. if she gave me that certain look that struck terror into my very being, i didnt need to be assaulted :p it is assault no matter how you look at it. but for some reason assaulting a child is less frowned upon than assaulting an adult? oh well.

Do you have kids ? my guess is no.(cousins/kid brothers etc dont count)

i personally think its ok to smack a child.. but not to forcefull.. just enough to know it is being nawty.amd should stop.

i do disagree with the parents tho that seem to drag the kid by there arm and when moaning to much they slap back of there legs really hard

i think its a case of the force u put into the smack thats right or wrong

Morphius

Fledgling Freddie
my mum has never smacked me or my brother and from what i've been told the naughtiest thing I did was pour a pack of rice crispies all over the floor. My parents would tell me off and seeing as my mum is a reception teacher she's quite good at it. We never went too far cos we could understand from facial expressions and tone of voice that it was not in our best interest to continue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom