Autotrain - what is it ??

Siden

Fledgling Freddie
Heard it mentioned a few times, could someone explain pls !

Siden AKA Skek lvl 9 Pala Excal

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Put simply its the games way of making sure certain characters don't gimp themselves beyond all recognition. In a slightly more complex way of putting it - its like this...

If you don't put any points in a specline which autotrains then every so often (every 8 levels I think) you'll recieve a free level in it at no additional cost. Some people use this to their advantage to get more spec points out of their character. So to give the classic example, an SB lvl's up to 50 without speccing anything in stealth - when he reaches lvl48 he'll have gotten 12lvl's of stealth for free. This means they have more spec points to spend in other areas.

I'm not certain on this point but I seem to remember sombody saying if you spec in an autotraining line even once it will stop autotraining for good.

...thats not exactly the best explination for it (it makes more sense if you see it once) but its the best I can come up with this early in the morning. As a Paladin I think you can autotrain your 'Chants' line, however I wouldn't recommend it unless you have an extremly understanding perma-group (or sombody to Plvl you) to help you to lvl50.

bad context I know but i've seen a couple of Shaman's removed from groups because they didn't have high enough end regan (at which point we then have none and people start whining because they don't like to hunt without end :rolleyes: )

Siden

Fledgling Freddie
ahh

sounds useful if I ever get to use the /level command. Right now as a super-gimpy n00b I'd best leave autotrain well alone :D

Skek.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
autotrain doesnt work with /level
paladins can get away with no auto-training anyway so you dont need to worry.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Mabs said:
autotrain doesnt work with /level
paladins can get away with no auto-training anyway so you dont need to worry.

It does work for me...I really dont understand why most people cant get it to work but I can...Well either I am damn lucky or the other people just dont know how it works :eek6:

Crowley

Fledgling Freddie
to get autotrain to work with /level command do this:
put 1 point in the spec line you want to autotrain ect. stealth,
at level 20 or 40 do /respec stealth

then you will autotrain

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Yes it works that way to me :)

For example, got the following spec on one of my lvl 24 scouts:

21 Bow
19 Stealth
15 Thrust
10 Shield

Whereas only 9 shield is possible without autotrain..it's maybe not much but who can say no to 1 free point in a skill :)

Shafu

Fledgling Freddie
Autotrain was originally intended to help newbies from gimping their character, but in reality autotraining is used by the more experienced players to squeeze the most out of their character.

Assassins autotrain stealth. This means that if you do *not* put any points in stealth as you level, your trainer will keep your stealth spec at 1/4 of your level. This adds up to 77 spec points if you autotrain all the way to lvl 50 (lvl 48 to be exact). Some players think it is worth the trouble. Some players do not.

Although I have never tested it, Im positive that you *cannot* use the /level command to autotrain. I have heard a lot of people claim that they have, but there are a lot of players who have misunderstood what autotraining means (maybe I am one of them :)). I am pretty sure that the reason the poster above me (Thegreatest, lvl 24 Scout) was able to get a few extra autotraining points is *not* because he autotrained from level 1-20 (with the /level command), but because he autotrained from level 20-24.

edit: I just checked a character builder. It seems the Scout spec above is only possible if he autotrained from 1-20, so I stand corrected. :eek:

Influenza

Part of the furniture
After the latest patch(patches) using /level to 20 then putting 1 into a line then respecing it to get the autotrain points seems to no longer work.
It did before the latest patch but not after it seems.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
Influenza is right it doesnt work for me anymore either, seems they 'fixed' it at patch 1.67. I've tried to autotrain either longbow and stealth with my new thid scout (not even sure if stealth is autotrained with scouts) but I still got 1 point in the autotrained skill after using /respec. I've tried it 5x but it didnt work. So I stand corrected, doesnt work anymore :)

Btw Thegreatest is my lvl 50 armsman but thats not the issue here :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom