Auschwitz

ScoobyDoo{KEA}

Fledgling Freddie
im planning a trip with my missus to the above hopefully sometime this year,really want to go as my missus grandfather was there(she is 1/2 polish) and she wants to see what he had to go through etc...anyway just wondered if any of you guys had been and what you thought.and can anyone suggest the cheapest way of going .dont know whether to fly and get a hotel close by or to drive and camp.planning on visiting Birkeneau as i believe its only walking distance from the above.think there will be a lot of tears on the trip but its something she really wants to see.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Was gonna make a joke type of post, but then thought, wrong place.

Over the sea ferry or fly(UK i assume?), rent a car and drive there, camp for authentic WW2 feel. Also can get her mind off things when you can throw the "imagine us being UK soldiers, camping here, near enemy lines".

Darthshearer

Can't get enough of FH
Scoob Ive been, I have a mate who likes in Krakow so we went from there. Youll not regret it mate, emotional as fuck like and thats without me having any history!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Was gonna make a joke type of post, but then thought, wrong place.

Over the sea ferry or fly(UK i assume?), rent a car and drive there, camp for authentic WW2 feel. Also can get her mind off things when you can throw the "imagine us being UK soldiers, camping here, near enemy lines".

Your knowledge of WWII is a bit vague isn't it?

Yeah, like Darth said, go from Krakow, which is a nice place anyway.

mycenae

Can't get enough of FH
I've been 3 times.....not 'cos I wanted to, but 'cos I couldnt bear to let others go by themselves. I know Krakow quite well as am also 1/2 polish. I wouldn't suggest camping mate....better to fly to krakow and stay in one of the many cheap hotels and rent a car/use one of the many coach trips to go. I would suggest that you combine the trip to Auschwitz with a trip to Wieliczka (the salt mines.) Birkenau is NOT within walking distance, and I would certainly dissaude you from doing both in one day....you'd both be an emotional mess.

There are many trips for very reasonable money that will take you on a coach to auschwitz in the morning and then the salt mines in the afternoon - a great way to put it to the back of your mind, and the mines are amazing, really worth seeing. PM me if you want to know anything else.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
On a faintly related note, Im going to Normandy again this year, in a few days.
I'm arriving 5 June and leaving 7 June, so Ill be there for the D-Day celebrations. I only hope there's a few of the old boys there, I'd be so proud to have seen that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom