Audio Books?

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Does anyone know anything about audio books? From a google search I can see that some companies offer downloads of books in MP3 format so would be interested if anyone has experience of this.

To cut a long story short my uncle is terminally ill in hospital and, although he loves books, he is too fatigued to lie there and physically read a book. I am in two minds whether to buy him a small personal tape player and some cassettes or an ipod, or similar, and download some books for him. He is 74, mind, so not very good with gadgets.

Would be very grateful for any information or advice from forumites. Many thanks.

NB. This is a copy of the post in the Books section as I'm hoping that the general forum will receive a quicker reply. Apologies if this is spamming but I am hoping to get something sorted out for my uncle tomorrow as he doesn't have all that many 'tomorrows' left.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
http://www.audible.co.uk/

Catsby uses this system, and likes it. Catbsy also got a free "chav accessory of the year" ipod shuffle, which was nice. Catsby thinks it should be perfect for your needs.
If Catsby is to be very honest, the sound quality doesn't matter too much with the spoken word, and audigy is simple to use with itunes and an ipod (Catsby uses a 40 gig ipod).

Catsby wishes you luck in finding what you need.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I'd just buy a cheapo cassette walkman, and go to your nearest Waterstones and buy some audio books from there.

Motorway service stations sell them as well.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Get a portable CD Player that can also play MP3s from CD-Rs (example), then can get audio books in any format and it's dead easy to use.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Catsby said:
http://www.audible.co.uk/

Catsby uses this system, and likes it. Catbsy also got a free "chav accessory of the year" ipod shuffle, which was nice. Catsby thinks it should be perfect for your needs.
If Catsby is to be very honest, the sound quality doesn't matter too much with the spoken word, and audigy is simple to use with itunes and an ipod (Catsby uses a 40 gig ipod).

Catsby wishes you luck in finding what you need.

An Ipod *shuffle* is the daftest thing to buy for an MP3 audio book if there is more than one MP3 involved. You will end up with your story being played in a jumbled up order.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Unless of course you just don't choose shuffle and play them in the correct order.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
babs said:
Unless of course you just don't choose shuffle and play them in the correct order.

I thought thats all the ipod shuffle did...was play mp3's in a random order...thats why its called a shuffle....but i could be wrong i guess.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Either or.... It has a play in order mode, and a shuffle switch.

Catsby

One of Freddy's beloved
dysfunction said:
An Ipod *shuffle* is the daftest thing to buy for an MP3 audio book

Catsby disagrees. The daftest thing, in Catsby's opinion, would be a fifty pound wheel of cheese.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Obviously it would have to be Brie. Anything else would just be silly.

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I've not had much time this week to reply to this thread and people's comments/advice, we've been back and forth to the hospital day and night as his condition worsened and the end was expected.

Unfortunately he was too weak to listen to the audio books in this last week before he died, but I am very grateful for the advice offered.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
my deepest sympathies matey

Draylor

Part of the furniture
:(

It was a nice thought - in the end being there in the final days was all that mattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom