ATI Radeon 9800 Pre-Order

S

Sawtooth

naw convert dollars into pounds mate. They like to rip us off. I'm going to buy one in the US later this year and save myself some dosh.

J

Jonty

It has to be said that our friends across the pond usually pay in dollars what we pay in pounds, regardless of the exchange rate. Thankfully £399 is beyond the market range even for the UK, although I wouldn't put is past some retailers :)

Kind Regards

S

Sawtooth

Doubt it, I paid £300 for my last card and doubtless will again if it means D3 will run better.

J

Jonty

How much?! Ouch! :D hehe

Kind Regards

Edit ~ Still steep, but a little more like it . . . Blisware

S

Scooba Da Bass

No, I held off since everyone in the world said they were shit

J

Jonty

Originally posted by leggy
I'm sorry but £370 is a joke.
I agree :D It brings little that the 9700 Pro doesn't, apart from added performance and the F-Buffer (although even the latter will rarely come into play in today's applications). It should be interesting what the 256Mb model will retail at. Hopefully prices will drop soon as there are very few people, whom I know, who are willing to part with that amount of money for a product whose younger brother delivers much the same power at a fraction of the cost.

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
No, I held off since everyone in the world said they were shit
I agree (again) :D It's a shame, as I really think it was a victim of its own hype. But thankfully the NV35 should be here much sooner than expected, and this one ought to deliver on the promises made. Early indications seem to suggest it even kicks the 9800 Pro into touch, which is saying something, although how it will fair against the R400 is anyone's guess.

Kind Regards

E

Embattle

Originally posted by Jonty
It's a shame, as I really think it was a victim of its own hype. But thankfully the NV35 should be here much sooner than expected, and this one ought to deliver on the promises made. Early indications seem to suggest it even kicks the 9800 Pro into touch, which is saying something, although how it will fair against the R400 is anyone's guess.

You getting a little too close to blind faith ;)

I'm very close to ordering one but my GF4 still manages tbh.

J

Jonty

Originally posted by Embattle
You getting a little too close to blind faith ;)
I'm very close to ordering one but my GF4 still manages tbh.
Come come, I'm not that bad :p I love the 9700 Pro, I'm just not too keen on the 9800 Pro when they launch it with a price like that. I don't much care for the 5800 or 5600 range, either. But I have faith in the NV35, though it isn't blind. The card is powerful, more so than any on the market bar (one would assume) the R400. It ought to be cheaper than the 5800 Ultra and should be available very soon (whether by IBM or TSMC).

So there you go. Trust me, it'll be good. Whether I'd say order one is a different matter. I know I like nVidia, I can't ignore that, but early indications are good, far better than they were than the NV30.

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

I didn't say the GeForce FX was cheap (and you had to find the most expensive card with the most elaborate bundle, didn't you!?) :p But in all honesty, just looking at the market in general, prices for the high end cards are very expensive. And, I personally don't believe the 9800 Pro is worth £370. R&D for a card like that costs relatively little (unlike, say, the 9600 Pro etc) and all the manufacturing processes are already established.

Perhaps the only justifcation for the GFFX's price is the fact it was aimed at the top 2% of the market; the R&D costs for such a card were very high; the manufacturing processes had to created from scratch and the components were extremely expensive. But I'm not making excuses; I would have to have more money than sense to shell out that amount for a card which performs the way the GFFX does.

As for the NV35, my comments have some basis in reality (not much, but some ;)). The NV35 has been tapped out and running ever since CeBIT where it was demoed. TSMC have already produced a sample of the final cards and full production will begin soon in order to meet the May shipping deadline. Lots of people have access to these cards, it's merely NDAs (sadly broken in some cases) which prevent the benchmarks and (p)reviews from doing the rounds.

Yes, I'm happy to admit I'm an nVidia fan boy. But that doesn't mean I can't step back and see the bigger picture. I've bought ATi's graphics cards in the past, because I admire them and think the process they've made in such a previously monopolised market is amazing.

Some come on, don't fight, make love, not war ... erm, I don't know how to finish this sentence :p hee hee, but trust me, the NV35 will be something special. If not I'll streak through my hometown with nothing but a couple of ATi logos protecting public morality :p

Kind Regards

Jonty

Disclaimer - The above forfeit is not a statement of fact or future intention, and ought not to be considered legally enforcable ;)

E

Embattle

I'll stick to my guns on this Jonty, I said the same when people were raving on about how great the NV30 would be, until some real benchmarks, reviews, etc appear you just don't know how this will pan out.......you can hope/wish for the best but that is all :)

The retail price of cards is not based as much as it used to be on the R&D costs involved in making the card, after all these are always normally recovered, it tends to be based on what people are willing to pay and for high end cards it seems people are willing to shell out considerable amounts of money.

E

Embattle

Oh btw we get overchanged for these graphics cards normally in the UK ;)

J

Jonty

Okay, I'll capitulate, since you tend to be infinitely wiser than myself in such matters :D I'll hope for the best, but expect the worse :)

*Jonty takes off his 'nVidia fanboy' hat and puts on his 'Impartial Observer' hat* :cool:

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

Oh btw we get overchanged for these graphics cards normally in the UK
Now that's one thing we can both agree upon :D hee hee.

Kind Regards

J

Jonty

LOL! What has he done to a perfectly good Shuttle?! I wonder if the NV35 will be a single slot solution? My feeling is that it will be, in which case our friend above may be a little disappointed. Whatever the case, I don't think I would have had the guts (or the tools for that matter) to do that to my Shuttle :)

Kind Regards

B

bodhi

I bet that guy feels a bit silly really. I mean he could have had a 9800 for the same price, had a faster card and not had to cut a hole in his case. If that was me I'd feel a bit of a tit tbh.

E

Embattle

If that was you I would be fucking amazed....you've just bought an nVidia product ;)

L

lovedaddy

yep

got a few at work - very nice cards. People definetly prefere them over the GeForceFX.

B

bodhi

If that was you I would be fucking amazed....you've just bought an nVidia product ;)

Hehehhe. Believe it or not a long time ago I replaced my Rage Fury/V2 SLI combo with a TNT2 Ultra. Three months later the Rage Fury/SLI were back in my machine as the ATi drivers caused less crashes, the Rage 128 was just as fast in Q3 and SLI was faster in everything else. I have never touched another nVIDIA product since.

D

Deadmanwalking

Im getting one free some time in the next 2 weeks :p SO NAH!

Users who are viewing this thread