ATI Radeon 9200

M

Mid - Kirinia

A question for anyone that uses this graphics card...

Should it have a fan? :scared:

I recently bought a new computer and after playing about 3 or 4 hours of daoc the screen freezes, and if I reboot it only takes 10 minutes to freeze again. I'm pretty sure my graphics card is overheating.

Anyway after it freezing up again and again I got really annoyed so took a look inside my comp to see if there was anything wrong in there. The first thing I noticed is that the card has a heatsink but not a fan, and the second thing I noticed is that in the slot directly underneath the card was the 56k modem, and it must have been about 1mm away from the graphics card's heatsink.

So I moved the modem down to the bottom slot to give my graphics card some air, and I'm hoping this might solve the overheating problem, but I'm not sure if it will ...

Has anyone else had a problem with this particular card overheating? And do they really still make graphics cards without fans?

Thanks for your help.

F

frogster

Your card is designed to run without a heatsink, but thats not to say with it running at 100% for 3-4 hrs it wont over heat.
From the symtoms you describe it sounds like over heating.
Run your machine without the side panel on. If this helps you really need to think about adding more system fans to make sure there is plenty of cool air being drawn over the gfx cards heat sink.

A simple intake fan at the front of your machine ~£2 and/or an Exhaust fan that sits in a pci slot below your gfx card ~£3

http://www.aria.co.uk/DisplayProducts.asp?Category=13&page=3&orderby=

M

Mid - Kirinia

Thanks for that. Ordered myself one of those PCI slot fans. Can't go wrong at only 3 quid really.

Users who are viewing this thread