ATI, NVidia & the third way

S

smurkin

Volari Duo V8 Ultra - 5600+ - 3D MARK 2003...

What do you recon fellers...is this a good score (compared to say a 9800 pro) ? I am finding it very difficult to find any meaningfull info (that isnt in French)....it would be nice to think there is a third way :D

some background stuff here

E

Embattle

Sounds good but for me it needs to be properly tested before I believe that ATI or Nvidia really have any competition ;)

P

pcg79

Originally posted by smurkin
Volari Duo V8 Ultra - 5600+ - 3D MARK 2003...

What do you recon fellers...is this a good score (compared to say a 9800 pro) ? I am finding it very difficult to find any meaningfull info (that isnt in French)....it would be nice to think there is a third way :D

some background stuff here

post stuff in french and ill translate (or use babelfish ;p)

S

smurkin

theres some French stuff here ...but I'm 99% sure its just the company blurb (although it does suggest a 3dmark for a 9800 of 4800+)...still, this is purely academic as it appears the actual hardware is, as yet, nowhere to be found :rolleyes:

J

Jonty

Sounds interesting :) That said, one of the problems is a lack of optimised codepaths in games and such. For example, Half-Life 2, Doom³ and other games optimise their codepaths for either nVidia or ATi cards, to ensure they perform the best they can. When you try and run a card on an unoptimised codepath, or on the 'wrong' codepath, as perhaps illustrated with nVidia and Half-Life 2 recently, the results are disappointing. Sadly this makes it hard for alternative cards to really establish themselves, despite performing well in benchmarks and such.

Also of interest may be S3's DeltaChrome chipset, which, on paper at least, seems interesting :)

Kind Regards

A

Anasyn

Originally posted by Jonty
Also of interest may be S3's DeltaChrome chipset, which, on paper at least, seems interesting :)

About the only place S3 chips are interesting, or indeed any good, apart from bins though :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom