Asus A7N8X-Deluxe SATA question

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I have a Asus A7N8X-Deluxe mobo and am looking at finally investing is a nice big Serial ATA drive. The only problem being I can't remember if it supports the nice, small SATA cables (You know, those thin red things).
Does anyone have this motherboard running a newer SATA drive. I'll look through my mobo stuff tonight and see if there is a daughter board that came with it for these connections, but I can't see any onboard. According to the Asus stie it support SATA, I'm just wondering if they're confusing this with the RAID controller that is onboard.

I was looking at this drive http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=74108

Any help would be appriciated.

Vae

Resident Freddy
I'm pretty sure I have that motherboard (not the Raid version) and there are two SATA connections onboard (the small red cables) as I'm running a nice fast Raptor 10K rpm drive as my main HDD off it. I think they're in a different place to the IDE cables though.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Ok, that's filled me with some hope. I think I'll still have to bide my time till I get to check out my machine tonight. Oh well, I needed to open it to sort out a memory upgrade anyway :)

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
there on the far end of teh board, well away from teh CPU and chipset

there should be a silicon image chip down that end, there not too far from it

Attachments

• mobosata.jpg
    mobosata.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 33

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
Ive got the self-same board with 2 Segate Barracuda's strapped to it, both plugged into the nice little socket thingy's.

:)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Oh sod it then. I'll make my order and I should be able to cancel it if for some reason I've got the motherboard model wrong :)

.Wilier.

One of Freddy's beloved
dont forget, if you get an oem model, you'll probably need a SATA power cable and a red connector cable too (unless you already have them from your mobo)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
That's ok. If I haven't got any then I'm sure I can find one or two lying around at work :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Yup, I have my SATA drive running from a nice ickle red cable. They give you 2 in the motherboard box.

wyrd_fish

Fledgling Freddie
.Wilier. said:
dont forget, if you get an oem model, you'll probably need a SATA power cable and a red connector cable too (unless you already have them from your mobo)
western digital have both SATA and molex sockets

there's even a little sticker warning not to use both :/

Whipped

Part of the furniture
All in and working fine. Didn't have any SATA power connectors from my PSU so it's a good job I picked up a seperate cable from work.

Plugged in the drive and went to enable SATA in the BIOS and couldn't find it anywhere and it wasn't detecting it. Then I remembered that I'd disabled the SATA chip on-board to speed up the boot process. Doh!! A quick jumper change later and it was plain sailing.

Now to hit the pr0n sites! :)

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
On the same subject -

I have the same board but I cannot for the life of me get SATA to work with it.

Plugged the HD and stuff but windows won't recognise it.

Can one of you lovely lads tell the BIOS settings etc that you have.

Ta in advance.

WPKenny

Resident Freddy
I'll have to wait till my next reboot to check but I also have a A7n8x-deluxe running two SATA drives.

As far as I can recall there's an option that flashes up on boot where you can go into the SATA config menu. Maybe it's just for RAID I don't know. Then you need to install some drivers in windows to get it to recognise the drives.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
They are detected on a separate page to the normal IDE stuff. Enable anything that says SCSI or RAID in your bios.

Also, when you install the drive, you need to tell windows what drivers to use. Your motherboard will come with those drivers. Shove them on a floppy, and when you're installing windows keep your eye out for an 'F6 for 3rd party drivers' thing on the blue screen bit. Dunno about adding a drive and not having windows on it, but you can't install windows onto the SATA drive without a floppy - unless someone slipstreams an XP installation.

Trem

Gah! So I can't do it until I do an install of XP?

Knackers to that.

Thanks for your help fellas.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Not sure if it's true with that board, but you certainly can install XP to a fresh sata disc in some situations. On a machine I set up for a friend a couple of weeks ago you can alter a bios setting to put the drive in IDE mode (obviously will depend on your controller/bios) which then makes windows see it as a normal drive.

Trem

I'm your friend...set mine up for me :(

Vae

Resident Freddy
I set an SATA drive up as new on this machine (with the Asus motherboard) using a slipstreamed Win XP cd with the SATA drivers and SP2 added into it.

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
if you haven't got the new version of xp including sata drivers, simply wait until it asks you if you want to install seperate drive controllers, say yes and stick in a disk with your sata hd drivers on. (there should be one with the mobo if there isn't you should be able to download it easy enough)

I run raided sata drives on my system and it's rapid :)

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom