Assignment; any input is appreciated.

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
So, got a short assignment and where else to ask but here.

"Research about business practice in an English speaking country of your choice, and also take in account how women's conditions in the workplace have improved. Compare this to business practice in your home country: what are the differences and similarities? Focus especially on how you need to act differently if you were going to do business with people there compared to at home. Write a document of approximately 500 words. Remember to clearly reference your sources in the text. Add a complete reference list at the end of your text and make sure to include name of author and title of texts used."

Since I've never worked or really done any intricate business-transactions or worked at an 'English' workplace, could you guys point out some basic stuff.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
The technological advancements in cooking gear has vastly improved sammich making abilities.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
They do what men do, only shitter.

They've also made firemen and policemen extinct. Firefighters and Police Officers have replaced them.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
They do what men do, only shitter.

They've also made firemen and policemen extinct. Firefighters and Police Officers have replaced them.
Actresses and comediens lots of extinct professions now.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

It's interesting how it works in finland. All are just the same, there never were any male/female modifiers. Well, there were some with the -tar ending, but thosewere very rare.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Policeman
Fireman
Workman

Now XXXX person of non descriptive gender with feelings too you sexist bastards!

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
May be interesting to look at the recent stuff the BBC have been directed to doing for comedy or game show panels... must have at least 1 woman....

Gwadien

Uneducated Northern Cretin
May be interesting to look at the recent stuff the BBC have been directed to doing for comedy or game show panels... must have at least 1 woman....

Hmm, I disagree.

BUT, that could be a good comparison - Show a non-realistic example of it - the BBC purposely trying to fix things so they're 'equal' even though the real work place may (or may not) reflect this.

Not necessarily on merit, but more on 'balancing the books?'

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I can post something better later, but with reference to women, they're really big into promoting "Women in IT" and putting forward women for industry awards and recognition. Try the following:

http://womeninitawards.com/

https://www.everywoman.com/about

I'm not sure if you have this in your country? If not, maybe you could write about that.

If it wouldn't be too troublesome, that would be great.

Been browsing a page regarding this, would you say it's accurate:

http://businessculture.org/northern-europe/uk-business-culture/business-etiquette/

http://businessculture.org/northern-europe/uk-business-culture/

Going for the angle that UK business etiquette is very strict with regards to negating possible discrimination as compared to Swedish business culture where there really aren't any 'rules'. A lady friend of mine have been called a animal lover and left-wing extremist just due to expressing concern about the current affair in businesses today. Ironic isn't it.

Good angle?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
You could mention that its generally a bag of bollocks and its mostly the best person for the job, gets the job. It isn't the employers fault that women are not qualified for roles, its the education system or the women's life choices.

There are plenty of women in finance for example because they are qualified to be there.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You could mention that its generally a bag of bollocks and its mostly the best person for the job, gets the job. It isn't the employers fault that women are not qualified for roles, its the education system or the women's life choices.

There are plenty of women in finance for example because they are qualified to be there.

Sorry but that's a load of bollocks. From an education POV there are more women coming out of university in Europe than men (60/40) and not just in artsy fartsy courses (more female business, law, economics and accountancy grads). There is some argument about lifestyle choice*, but in the EU that should be less true than the entirely women-unfriendly US employment market; end yet female representation on Boards is still less than 20% and female CEOs are less than 3%.

There will always be a lower number of women in senior positions to men as long as the "lifestyle choice" of extended maternity care exists. However, the way to level the playing field isn't to tinker with maternity care (which is reasonable to very good in most of Europe) but to vastly improve paternity care. If employers had to make the same consideration that a man might (or indeed is compelled to) take extended time off when he has kids as they do about women, they'd have to alter their thinking a lot. Right now its easy for empleyers to covertly discriminate (or even unconciously discriminate).

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Yeah but no.

Re-read what I said and its context. "IT"

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And your point is?

I can post something better later, but with reference to women, they're really big into promoting "Women in IT" and putting forward women for industry awards and recognition. Try the following:

http://womeninitawards.com/

https://www.everywoman.com/about

I'm not sure if you have this in your country? If not, maybe you could write about that.

If it wouldn't be too troublesome, that would be great.

Been browsing a page regarding this, would you say it's accurate:

http://businessculture.org/northern-europe/uk-business-culture/business-etiquette/

http://businessculture.org/northern-europe/uk-business-culture/

Going for the angle that UK business etiquette is very strict with regards to negating possible discrimination as compared to Swedish business culture where there really aren't any 'rules'. A lady friend of mine have been called a animal lover and left-wing extremist just due to expressing concern about the current affair in businesses today. Ironic isn't it.

Good angle?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
And my point is "read the whole fucking thread". Dumbass.

I did, and someone mentioned the IT industry...in post 2, ffs.

I am not sure how you are struggling to keep up?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I work in IT, specifically HPC- software/OS engineering. There are no women.

TdC

it's my incredibly awe-inspiring metro-sexuality I guess :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We had a really cute seventeen year old girl start in our department, man she had some body on her AND me and her ended up in a club on a works do, just the two of us, she spots a girl , decides she's a lesbian, goes over and has a full on necking session with her...I'm like fuk..she says don't tell anyone and I never did.
Everytime girl on girl came up in work she would look at me and smile...I was fukin dying to tell everyone, but it was better it being our secret.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
We had a really cute seventeen year old girl start in our department, man she had some body on her AND me and her ended up in a club on a works do, just the two of us, she spots a girl , decides she's a lesbian, goes over and has a full on necking session with her...I'm like fuk..she says don't tell anyone and I never did.
Everytime girl on girl came up in work she would look at me and smile...I was fukin dying to tell everyone, but it was better it being our secret.
Why didn't you take a pic?

TdC

if it was a gay dude rather than a chick Job would have told us this story long ago :)

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I was deep in the friends zone, which is only right cos I'm older than her dad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom