Asking employers why they didn't hire you...

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Is this considered acceptable or the norm?

I know for uni applications, you could email the university to ask why they rejected you (to strengthen future interviews etc.) and sometimes some would give you an honest individual answer.

But how does it work for employment? Am I right to expect a generic type-cast answer anyway, since I imagine people discriminate in terms of age etc. but are clever enough not to actually show it in their decision process. Or ofcourse, the person in question may be lacking something - which is why I'm eager to ask, to improve for future applications.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
There is no reason why they wouldn't if requested. Though in today's climate when people are seeing 100s of CV and probably 10s of interviewees for a position I doubt they have the time, doesn't hurt to ask though.

I have only ever not got 1 job and the guy explained why he hadn't picked me when he phoned me, I was happy with that.

Vae

Resident Freddy
Depends on the company (particularly the size of company). For a larger company I'd expect a general response that you were good but there was a better candidate. They would likely be concious of being sued if they give any indication that there might have been any possible discrimination (e.g. because of age).

I'd suggest asking for feedback rather than asking why you weren't hired.

Noc0de

Can't get enough of FH
I don't see why not. It's not going to count against you or anything and might help you in future interviews. To be honest, the organisation should probably be giving you this sort of feedback anyway - but it does often depend upon the HR processes followed.

You never know, it may count in your favour if the 1st choice candidate decided not to take the job and you're fresh in their memory showing signs of initiative in following-up why you didn't get it first time round etc.

Dr_Weasel

One of Freddy's beloved
Its law that they have to provide feedback if asked for. They also should hold to any interview notes for a period of time I cant recall, after the interview in case they ever get sued for discrimination etc.

However, that said, Even though they have to provide feedback, theres nothing stopping them saying "you were good, but someone had more experience, better suited, etc" and giving you a general answer.

You might get a good one though who will give you candid feedback.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Its law that they have to provide feedback if asked for.

This is true, and frankly when it happens its a pain in the arse. I had to give feedback recently and, "I found you unpleasant and so did everyone else" isn't the answer I gave.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
This is true, and frankly when it happens its a pain in the arse. I had to give feedback recently and, "I found you unpleasant and so did everyone else" isn't the answer I gave.

I've had to bite my tongue soo many times when giving interview feedback. I believe you have to hold interview notes and CV's for 6 months from when you interview/ accept the CV.

nath

Fledgling Freddie

Ooo, what did he do that was so unpleasant?

Thadius

Part of the furniture
It is annoying when companies you have applied to dont send you a letter/email back saying thanks but not thanks.

If your on Jobseeker's, showing replies from employers helps. Then you dont look like a scote who just wants to claim the cash and do sweet fa

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
1. You won't get told the truth.
2. If you're thinking about applying for another, or same role at the company your initial rejection normally will not affect your chances adversely. Asking why you didn't get the job will close this door.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i think the answer to that question might be too irrelevant.

"why didnt you hire me"

'someone else was better than you'

it might be better to ask

"can you give me any feedback on my interview"

'yes. you didnt come across as very confident, it might have helped to project your self a bit more bla bla'

Zenith.UK

Part of the furniture
My wife applied for a Midwifery course and got selected for interview. She attended the interview but didn't get in. The college offered her a feedback meeting, which she accepted.

At the meeting, the main interviewer told her that she seemed to lack some self-confidence, but they couldn't fault her academic record. They also said that she should reapply the following year.

She reapplied the following year, got the interview and got the place.
Her course co-ordinator later told her that she got the place BECAUSE she had reapplied. Many people said they would reapply, but only one actually did. :)

Sometimes sticking at it pays off in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom