Ascar

T

Tom

Anyone been down to Rockingham? I was working there yesterday, was pretty good stuff, apart from the fact that they kept crashing :/ They take ages to clear the cars away!

Y

~YuckFou~

Not been yet, though might go in the summer. Oval racing is an aquired taste tbh.
I went to the Indy 500, although the race wasn't very good the "event" was pretty spectacular, ASCAR/NASCAR usually provides some close races though.

G

gremlin

Yep, was at Rockingham back in 2001 for the opening weekend (combined it with a visit to Santa Pod which is only ~30mins drive away).

It was mostly unfinished at the time but I was seriously impressed.. i've been to many of the main race circuits in England and thought the rock was excellent.

During the recent business that Silverstone was possibly losing the Brit GP I could only think they should hold it at Rockingham - the infield race circuit meets F1 standards istr and the facility is light years ahead of the dump that is Silverstone.

O

old.UKTwister

silverstone is a pretty crappy track too, brands hatch is cool

T

Tom

I'm quite fortunate in that my work has allowed me to see many circuits across the world, and in this country. I have to say that Silverstone is making big strides, the european circuits may look pretty on television, but some of them leave a lot to be desired.

Having said that, everybody knows that Silverstone was originally an airfield, and I think there is a mentality that it somehow must remain so!

I was very impressed by Rockingham, the facilities appear to be very good, although there are some serious jobsworths working there. When we parked up and tried to walk in, the chap at the gate said 'you can't come in here, this is a vehicle gate, you have to use the pedestrian gate' even though we were working there. Then we got held up at the pedestrian gate, we got through eventually, they didn't even check my pass (I didnt have one!)

Race control were not very helpful, my camera position was on the inside of turn 2, on a raised grass bank, and in front of the armco dividing the oval from the inner circuit. I refused to work the position, because I had nothing to 'hide' behind, and asked if I could stand behind the armco (much safer). Race control said not, because there were things happening on the inner circuit. Eventually I moved the camera down behind the concrete barriers on the oval circuit. Guess what? Nothing happened on the inner circuit all day.

The only problem I can see with oval racing over here is the length of time they take to remove crashed/broken cars from the circuit. It's ridiculous that as many as 20 laps can be lost while 1 car is moved away. Out of a 60 lap race, thats not much fun for the spectators.

T

Tom

Originally posted by old.UKTwister
silverstone is a pretty crappy track too, brands hatch is cool

Brands is a better circuit for racing, but the facilities for spectators are absolutely pathetic, much much worse than Silverstone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom