Help As everything else is dead :p I need some good advice =)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
I still have some weeks on my classic friar (US servers) and it seems I'm often enough getting bashed down by the same classes over and over, so I thought I might ask for some ideas to improve my chances.

First of all the information about my char.
Spec:
  • Staff: 50
  • Enhancement: 46
  • Rejuvenation: 25
  • Parry: 2

R4L1 with:
  • Static Tempest 1 [5]
  • Wild Healing 2 [4]
  • Augmented Dexterity 3 [10]
  • Mastery of Pain 3 [10]
  • Long Wind 1 [1]

My equipment is top notch with omnis all over the place, using a dragon staff (3.3 speed for fast procs) with 1646 WS buffed (all buffs capped with s/c charge). I also carry a staff with a 56 d/q debuff proc, but that one doesn't seem to get off that often.

Basically my problem seems to be, that I can either smash down my enemies or lose hard after some time. I can nuke down some ppl easily, other ppl with the same class take me down within seconds (…like Maulers or Vamps for instance. Some die in under 20s, some take me down v. quickly). I wouldn't even say that shields are the problem. Thanks to dex3 and the new shield cap, I can hit through defense quite well. It's just that sometimes I seem to miss a LOT of styles or I just can't put out enough dmg with healprocs to keep myself alive.

Another problem is the lack of a good stun style, as the only "anytime" stun has no bonus to hit and is thus near to impossible to land. On the other hand, the HoT-anytimer uses up too much endo when facing end-drain classes like vamps/maulers.

Would it be a good idea to let go ST for something else?
Use a slower staff, even if that wouldn't cap my attack speed anymore? (and besides, the stats/procs on the dragon staff are awesome :) )

Or any general advice on how to best face Maulers/Champs/Wardens?

No idea how many people used to solo on a friar or how many still do, but I'm glad for every single input that can push me forward =)

Mageslayer

Fledgling Freddie
hmm maulers/champs/wardens are quiet hard targets for any melee class so dont blame urself :)

there were only few active friars in dyvet when i played and i didnt have any problem taking them down with sb, but i guess it depends on their playstyle and how they put their ra's. Never met any with Reflex Attack for example.
Friar rr5 is ok but only good for selfhealing, those who keep attacking will get kited.
It helps if u have basic knowledge of all classes u fight against. Keep playing ur class, eventually ull beat those classes aswell :)

Mageslayer

Fledgling Freddie
btw i suggest u change ur 3.3 spd staff, its way too fast and ull prolly hit like my granny :)
get the slowest staff around and use celerity charges as Tuthmes said. Its quiet expensive to run with those goodies things all the time but its worth it.

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Celerity is your friend!

Edit: So is purge :|

btw i suggest u change ur 3.3 spd staff, its way too fast and ull prolly hit like my granny :)
get the slowest staff around and use celerity charges as Tuthmes said. Its quiet expensive to run with those goodies things all the time but its worth it.

Hmm OK, that means I'll try to use s/c pots and cele charges instead, but with a much slower staff.

I tried to look around a bit and saw that the Big3 staff has nice procs (then again, the CL staff has the perma melee resist bonus and melee dmg is the thing that scares me most ^^ ).

But I didn't really get what you mean by "those who keep attacking will get kited"

I also agree that purge is nice to have, but: drop ST1 for purge1? What pisses me off is the 15min RUT and knowing myself I'd hold purge back for some special situation (that will never come up in the end).
Purge for champ debuffs to be free for 30s at least? There are not many assassins fighting and the one SB that plays is cannonfodder most of the time, due to my high evade and his lack of defense vs. staff attacks (which in return heal me).

I thought about Reflex Attack, but that's a thing I can maybe take once I'm RR6 cause it's 40 points for RA3 already … and even then I'm not sure I can live with LW1, WH2 and MoP2 only :< Maybe RA2 is OK already, but I'm not sure, especially now that they stealthnerfed it to not work when you're stunned anymore :(

Mageslayer

Fledgling Freddie
some friars use their rr5 and attack opponent while emselves cant be hit for some secs but it aint worth it and they get kited, thats what i meant.
and if u soloing alot i think u got too much points in rejuv, more parry wouldnt hurt :)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
some friars use their rr5 and attack opponent while emselves cant be hit for some secs but it aint worth it and they get kited, thats what i meant.
and if u soloing alot i think u got too much points in rejuv, more parry wouldnt hurt :)

Ah OK I see =) Well I thought about a swich from reju to parry aswell, but the greater heal at 25 saves a lot of times when healing midfight in ST or similar situations.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Hmm OK, that means I'll try to use s/c pots and cele charges instead, but with a much slower staff.

I tried to look around a bit and saw that the Big3 staff has nice procs (then again, the CL staff has the perma melee resist bonus and melee dmg is the thing that scares me most ^^ ).

But I didn't really get what you mean by "those who keep attacking will get kited"

I also agree that purge is nice to have, but: drop ST1 for purge1? What pisses me off is the 15min RUT and knowing myself I'd hold purge back for some special situation (that will never come up in the end).
Purge for champ debuffs to be free for 30s at least? There are not many assassins fighting and the one SB that plays is cannonfodder most of the time, due to my high evade and his lack of defense vs. staff attacks (which in return heal me).

I thought about Reflex Attack, but that's a thing I can maybe take once I'm RR6 cause it's 40 points for RA3 already … and even then I'm not sure I can live with LW1, WH2 and MoP2 only :< Maybe RA2 is OK already, but I'm not sure, especially now that they stealthnerfed it to not work when you're stunned anymore :(

Either get purge 1 or 3:

Purge 3 (30)
Wild Healing 1 (1)

Or

Purge 1 (5)
Static Tempest 1 (5)
Aug Dex 3 or 4 (10 or 20)
MoPain 3 (10 or 0)
Wild Healing 1 (1)

Or (if you're really gay)

Purge 1 (5)
Ignore Pain 2 (15)
Static Tempest 1 (5)
Aug Dex 2 (4)
MoPain 1 (1)
Wild Healing 1 (1)

Personally i'd choose the last one or the first one. I know getting ip seems a bit gay, but sometimes you get burts of dmg (pa, thanes, etc). If you dont kill a frair quick, you wont kill it ever! Imho reflex Attack is nice when you dual wield something, or are high enough rr to affort it.
Aug dex is nice, but your ws will keep sucking even @ higher lvls. Dmg wise i never really found it impressive when i raised my dex. However... You will cast quicker, your ws will raise a bit and your dmg will do to. All together still one of the most important ra's to get for a frair.

Watch out for desease btw.

Also dont forget your self celerity buff (just like the vw'rs). Its really nice to pop it and once its gone you can buff yourself with haste in combat anyway.

And get a 5.+ spd staff fgs...

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Ah OK I see =) Well I thought about a swich from reju to parry aswell, but the greater heal at 25 saves a lot of times when healing midfight in ST or similar situations.

Yeah i keep banging my head on friar specs aswell... Raise parry with MoParry l8r or something :p

aika

Can't get enough of FH
"parry" , "ultimate recovery", byebye :>

sup tuth!

aika

Can't get enough of FH
they changed it now, last time i played it was after I parried, which was better tbh ;)

liloe

It's my birthday today!
Yeah i keep banging my head on friar specs aswell... Raise parry with MoParry l8r or something :p

I'm thinking of buying a parry myth … and I already started working on a new friar temp which includes the CL staff ^^ Just not 100% sure about the cloak or the amount of melee speed I'm gonna try to fit in, but that's just details =)

Ati

One of Freddy's beloved
vs vamps/wardens/maulers use power-leak and try get a cl desease off during a stun to dick their hots

liloe

It's my birthday today!
vs vamps/wardens/maulers use power-leak and try get a cl desease off during a stun to dick their hots

Using power leak on classic could be rather hard :p The disease idea is good, though ^^

illu

Part of the furniture
Friar is easy mode :> All I remember when fighting them with my SB was that if they didn't die within the first "onslaught", then they would just keep healing and healing and end the fight pretty much at full health. Much like any Mauler that had enough RP for IP.
I fought one guy called "Drom" on my 4th SB Vid who was RR6 and my RR10 SB didn't even really get close :( Saying that, I don't think I played particularly well in that encounter :)

Have fun on your friar. I'm missing the game a lot, but don't really have the time commitment needed to re-roll on another server. Ah well. Long live DAOC!

Oli - Illu

zenobya

Fledgling Freddie
i used to solo alot but figted once or twice agsinta mauler and many times agsint vampires with my tartaros (5.7 for speed is grat and always proced power proc when i trow it-mabe buged donno)
why wild heal 2?(1 is enough to opne crit heal) st1 is useful sometimes especilay good on casters dex 3 is enough i tihnk on dex improvement yet reflex sucks(the only good one was old one 14 point %100 atack bakc with 30sec timer) i newerliked purge so i newer took it (i say i like ot sleep alot) i had toughnes 4 con 4 for tons of hp(couse friar takes huges damge at start of everyfight so need some hp to get back)and i had ip2 yet i surely prefer moc 2 insted(with your 26 rej moc heals around 200ish if i am correct with spec single)i newer trusted style heasl couse the factor ofmissing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom