armsman whine

C

Cavex ElSaviour

Sorry about me whining, this is my first, and hopefully my last whine. Since the beginning of the game, and since i found BWhine ive never whined against GoA, Mythic, Mids or hibs, i just accepted the things as they were. But the coming patch (ok, ok, might take a while before its in europe) is worth whining for an armsman.

The first day i started playing i played an armsman, never EVER i had troubles grouping him. Not that we were popular, but it was a simple "of course we can use an extra tank", sure, alays place for a good tank. we werent loved like clerics, pallys, theurgists, minies or sorcs. but this was ok. Armsman are the solid "mid" class, not popular and not hated in groups. In RvR we are doing ok, in 1 vs 1 fights we stand our ground, and loose due to luck, RR, skill and when beeing jumped. Imo, this is what it should to be. With the coming changes Mythic pushes us in the "supporters" roll. we SHOULD be albion's MAIN tank,, not a supporters tank. With the coming changes we are either forced to go S+S or play a supporter for the main tank. But who should be the main tank then? aren't the armsman the heavy, thus main tank in albion?

But why the whine you might ask? only the damage of our stun style gets toned down, and that could be justified, Other classes, like scouts, casters and clerics got more reason to whine. They got nerfed badly.

All the other classes got their "golden" era, in the beginning of the game scouts were the gods of RvR, they could shoot someone from a great distance without running any risk, their dmg alteration is somewhat justified for the balance of the game. (although not historical correct, ppl ALWAYS go down after taking a few arrows). Clerics got their damage altered and their insta mezz on a timer because it was said they shouldnt be able to take down a tank that jumps them. (insta mezz --> stun --> smite smite smite --> helloooooo RP"s!!!!). Altough i think it has been toned down too much there are some pre's about nerfing them somewhat. Altough casters arent "nerfed" directly they are nerfed via SC, RA's resists etc, but again, they had their golden age pre SC, tanks were nothing more then rp cows for Any caster. (except when you jump them). dont try to charge a caster because you will be down to 10% before you can reach them, a slow tank might even lose then because of pbt (lost a stick fight against damionus theurg, no styles, had a damn slow pole, almost no qui and he had running pbt, didnt hit him once :p).

So whats your point? My point is that every class that got nerfed one way or the other had a golden era, where they were fotm, where they were "uber". We are no PvE gods like pallies, or RvR gods like mercs (they will get their nerf sooner or later), we are a stable, solid class. I do not wish to be Uber or godwtfpwnu4tehwin like. I like my class with all its pre's and cons. (too little endurence, double speccing). I chose to be a poler to be an offensive tank. some people argue that the change s are good, because in RvR you help the other tanks out and with the stun chaining of a back style this should be easier to use. yes, its a bitch for soloers but it's a realm vs realm game and not a solo game....
Bah, even in the biggest zergs there are small fights to win. engage another tank, and fight him/her one on one (or with help from a fellow nuker/cleric ofc :p ). And besides that. even when you don't engage a mid/hib alone, the armsman should be the MAIN tank because they are the HEAVY tank of albion.
Another reason why not to implement the changes is because of the total redundance of the lvl 50 style. That style also chaines after a back style, with the option between that style or the stun style ppl will never use it again, so why train pole to 50? you can get "almost" the same dmg with SC and RR.

Bah, armsman never got love, never whined greatly, and ppl never whined about armsman beeing uber. So why the change?

IF the pole changes come in (still not gone live on the "real" servers) I'm 100% going to try out the X-Bow spec (46 slash, 46 shield and 40 x-bow), might be a future fotm spec :p

P.s.
I know whining doesnt help, but it does feel good :)

C

chretien

Totally agree matey. When I rolled Chretien, I intended him to be an armsman then I found out that Avalonians couldn't be armsmen so I made him a pally instead and I've been glad of that ever since.
If I ever made another tank alt I'd probably consider a friar before an armsman at the moment.

A

Arlone

Agreed, even tho I'm speaking as a fully shieldspecced tincan.

I think Mythic looks at armsmen when they balance the other classes. They never check for changes in the armsman-line cause afterall they are remaking every other class based on how they would perform against the old armsman-class.

Thing is ... with the changes to paladins we are more or less an unwanted class (speaking of s/s-specc ... not sure on polers). Why grab an armsman cause he got slightly more HP and damage output when you could go with a paladin that will keep aggro of all mobs, heal and restore endurance (no downtime)?

One of the things I think would help not only armsman but all other heavy tanks aswell would be to base the endurance-pool on a persons con-value (boost for all heavy tanks). This would also hurt assasins a bit and thats all the better...

I'm making a new main anyway cause I know mythic will never change armsmen ... :(

S

Shike

hehe, my 2 characters back in the old days was Armsmen :)

from a druids pow:

That snare (crippling blow) is dreadful, i HATE it.

Beeing hit for 700+ quite often in fully SCd gear and 29%slash as max really really hurt, not to mention it ruins my shiny armor. As a comparison, most albs with a onehander usually hit me in the 200 range.

If you get a backstunchain on the pole, you nearly have an annihilation handed to you, and iirc albs have whined about annihilation for ages. Although, slam is on same timer etc.

Armsmen take a while to take down (heloo 34% abs) and have access to determination which make them as silleh as every other det-tank.

Based on what I see every evening when I face you albs (mostly way too many), I rather have a pallie on my tail than a poler, pallies simply just dont hurt at all, so I wouldnt be so quick to shelve or give up on a poler just because of a stylechange that only affects the battle when another tank is hitting from in front of you. Backstyles are far better on support since we run like little rabbits as soon as something tankish is comin our way ;)

C

Cavex ElSaviour

Aye, a back style is important, but we do have a good one now with snare in it. The stun nis needed to take down other tanks.

F

faderullan

Armsmen are pretty ok atm i think. Might need the same ws/hp as warrior but other then that they are fine.

C

Cavex ElSaviour

agree 100%. they are ok as they are now (yes, some minor fixes might be possible, but hey, no class is perfect). so why the cjagnes?

K

Kagato.

I don't care about the damage reduction to Revenge, it just pisses me off no end that our only frontal defense in a duel or one on one fight has no been switched to chain from a rear positional style, that ALREADY has a very good level 50 style following on from it with a very long duration heavy snare. Theres absolutely no point in having two good styles follow on from the same rear positional style, certainly not when the style they are changing was already much loved where it was.

And whats the point in Poleaxe coming after Rage now? Poleaxe is a crap style, even IF they reduce the endurance cost (which they have mentioned nothing about) the damage from that style is no where close to the same damage as Rage, so why bother using it after Rage? I'd much rather save the endurance to land two or three more Rage styles, if you can show me an enemy capable of taking that kind of damage.

I know my opinion is biased due to being heavily into dueling and soloing, but theres simply no justification for the changes, Armsman already served there role perfectly well with the Phalanx/Aegis combination, all these changes do is force us to be even more group only without the option to duel or solo anymore.

And if you read the latest Armsman TL response you'll see that they have declare no changes to the dreaded double-speccing issues in the near future.

i'll also be trying the crossbow spec for a laugh after 1.65, just before I quit.

B

bulge

When grouped with a pally for end regen the armsman is useful.

The problem lies when you dont get endurance regen from a pally, all I end up being is a block bot as I am s/s specced.

Heaven help that I may have to get aggro off something. This means that I have to save some endurance for enrage which means I get to do 1 slam and a couple of amethysts or enrages before I am hitting unstyled and ooe.

I know that usually in a group you will run with a pally but I dont think we should have to rely on another class to be completely useful.

V

Vim

Originally posted by chretien
If I ever made another tank alt I'd probably consider a friar before an armsman at the moment.

Friar doesn't count as a "tank" anymore. No Determination, bad defense, Mediocre damage = No real groups. Without Purge nobody wants you, with Purge you maybe won't die to Hib/Mid instamez all the time.

Not like Friar should be "ubah tank" because it's hybrid, and damn flexible one already, but it brings nothing to groups (Don't start me with resists, they aren't enough of a reason), especially when everyone has buffbots so even baselining isn't needed..

C

Cush

Originally posted by bulge
When grouped with a pally for end regen the armsman is useful.

The problem lies when you dont get endurance regen from a pally, all I end up being is a block bot as I am s/s specced.

Heaven help that I may have to get aggro off something. This means that I have to save some endurance for enrage which means I get to do 1 slam and a couple of amethysts or enrages before I am hitting unstyled and ooe.

I know that usually in a group you will run with a pally but I dont think we should have to rely on another class to be completely useful.

You dont know how it is to go out of end fast untill you played a hunter imo. If you have shot 1 arrow you can do 4 styled hits on a end bar. If no arrows your able to get off 5 styles.

L

Lumikki

Hard to say what mythics logic was for those changes...

Never saw armsmen overpowered in any way :(

xx

T

thegreatest

I still cant believe the armsman tl, told that the response to the tl report was very positive and he was happy about it. I couldnt read any single point in the response from mythic that they promise to give something to armsmen. Most of what they said was 'this is not a thing we can implement in 1.64'...I would be glad if we got something like a self endurance regen or just endurance reduction or something similar, but I'm 100% sure that we wont get it....

V

vindicat0r

It wasnt a nerf it was Love.

If anything they have just said, 2h and pole are the only viable spec's for arms now AND they just made the Pole line more than useful for RvR, I hear all this talk about ppl not being able to duel or solo anymore................ your an armsman you were not designed to solo, you are a group tank. A Primary Group tank at that.

Look at the stat's of an arms when he unbuff'd and run's ooe, Looks pretty crap. Now Buff that arm's and Give him a paladin in group < As every Tank need's end regain !!> And watch him work his magic.

Arms are not meant to solo and NO class was designed for dueling, Dueling means 0 , nothing, nada. Just because you cant land a 1v1 stun anymore all of a sudden arms are nerfed o_O ? The 1 thing Polearm was lacking was an actual useable Stun. 1 fg V 1 fg is the best example I can use because an arms should never solo < buff bot or not >.

When 2 grp's meet other I will bet money irl ^^ that the arms will be the 2nd last or last guy to go down. Now, so after 6 r 7 of your group members are dead u get to do that Elite Stun!!! yay, which will be blocked or Guarded from the MA. WIth this Arms get to stun support/casters without having to go the awful hybrid spec which was like having a lvl 44 warrior in plate in a grp.

Anybody who style's on an Armsman in even a 4 V 4 Fight is a fool, so If you do have your "small " fight against ppl, the only ppl that you will beat are idiot's....... I know for a fact if I was trying to kill an arms I would not style unless It was a stun move. So again the arms woudl be left till last and then it doesnt matter. So really ........ The only person this attack effect's is Solo arms ........ rolf. I think everybody will live with that :D

Arms issuse's are still needed yes, Double speccing is the biggest problem for arms. Make it worth while or remove it. The Endurance Pool idea isnt terrible because it means a chance to perma sprint with it etc < chasing supp even if no pally >

Ps. Kagato: Poleaxe had it's Attack Ratting upped to High < they should deffo increase damage and lower End tbh, or else all arms will use rage again >

As for lvl 50 move being useless, not really. Imagine Doing Phalanx, Then Revenge < stunned for 9s > , Phalanx < comes out of stun just as next blow > Aegis 12sec snare. Ohh I could like that I think, once the stun doesnt give immunity to snare that is < cant see why it would though as its no stun etc >

So guys's it's not so glum for arms yet, we were never wtfpwn!!1! and we wer not omgnurf'd!!!!1!

G

gunner440

armsmen are great if u expect anything more then just role a savage

M

mabs0r

Originally posted by vindicat0r

When 2 grp's meet other I will bet money irl ^^ that the arms will be the 2nd last or last guy to go down.

Anybody who style's on an Armsman in even a 4 V 4 Fight is a fool,

and thats WHY we die last, because people wont style us, thus we take less damage. Once we lose it, everyone will style us and we will go down like a sack of sh1t :)

T

TeniForTehWin

Originally posted by Vim
Friar doesn't count as a "tank" anymore. No Determination, bad defense, Mediocre damage = No real groups. Without Purge nobody wants you, with Purge you maybe won't die to Hib/Mid instamez all the time.

Not like Friar should be "ubah tank" because it's hybrid, and damn flexible one already, but it brings nothing to groups (Don't start me with resists, they aren't enough of a reason), especially when everyone has buffbots so even baselining isn't needed..

<quote>bad defense<endquote>
is this cause we dont have advanced evade?
<quote>mediocre damage<endquote>
500 at 1.6 speed? ok. "mediocre"
<quote>with purge you maybe won't die to hib/mid instamez all the time<endquote>
30 sek duration ? this is a free mezz invul timer even for friars
I only choose to purge castable mezzs
<quote>brings nothing to groups<endquote>
insane damage, basebuffs, resists(doesnt help often tho with FOTM Melee grps around), heals with smart spec ofc

For all this you need god SC, capping everything, not rejuv tho you should use specheal anyways baselines are to small, for RvR atleast, tho I get +7 rejuv and everything capped with my template and only quest itams..
/respect to high RR friars IMO, hard to get there

V

vindicat0r

Originally posted by mabs0r
and thats WHY we die last, because people wont style us, thus we take less damage. Once we lose it, everyone will style us and we will go down like a sack of sh1t :)

No that's not why we die last, we Die last because we Wear 34% absorb plate with extremely high AF < 2nd to only pally> and have Most hit point's < when buffed anyway> in alb with exception to perhap's a merc which I cant say for sure.

Most ppl do NOT know about defender's rage, only ppl who have played/ dueled an armsman will know about it, even most ppl who duel you just say ' wtf u slammed me with no shield ?' :D

So this is NOT the reason we die last, it's because we are double hard bastard's and a cleric/ minstrel die's alot faster than us ^^

J

Jenkz

agree with vindicat0r

the revenge change is nothing but love for armsman who actually RvR in groups.

being able to snare and 9sec stun from behind when you want is a godsend vs support classes who run away.

B

Balbor

Originally posted by Vim

i was thinking today, how effective is a frier unbuffed, answer terrible, that means they have to have high level buff in order to be on a level with other classes, yet those other classes can get buff themselves and be even better, while all a frier can get is the str/con (and seeing as they have no need for Str really).

If you look at the other realms secondary healer you have to offer a group on top of baseline buff and resists:
Bard, Best speed, CC and instent CC
Warden: caster speed, PBD, resist and other chants.
Shamen: Good group buffs, Diseas and DOT, CC

now Friers are given the ability to train in weapon and perry, but so is the warden who is much more group friendly than the Frier. I think its time that friers were given 2spec points per level like Bards to allow them to become more group friendly. Added some better healing spells, like the heal over time similar to the Shamens one.

C

Caeli

Originally posted by Cavex ElSaviour
All the other classes got their "golden" era, in the beginning of the game scouts were the gods of RvR, they could shoot someone from a great distance without running any risk, their dmg alteration is somewhat justified for the balance of the game. (although not historical correct, ppl ALWAYS go down after taking a few arrows).
How about having one of your arterys perforated by a big two handed sword? Bet that would drop you like a sack of potatoes.
Bear in mind that this is a game tho. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom