Are there no more challenges anymore ?

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
With each new patch, it seems that our characters are becoming - or at least have the potential to become - massively powerful compared to the days before ToA, SI, or Darkness Falls.

Remember playing the game when it was first released ? Now look at how far the game has advanced. In the old days, 50th level took MUCH longer to attain, there were much less 50’s running around. I can remember that seeing someone who was 50th level to be EXTREMELY rare, and everyone regarded them with extreme awe. 50th level was seen by many of us as almost mythical. Perhaps that was part and parcel of being a newbie.

Now, people can get 50’s in a weekend. For me, the awe given to a 50th level character died long before someone announced on Barry’s World that they had created a 50 Necro in 6 days ! It seems that practically every person you meet has a 50 main, and cos people appear to be able to get to 50 much quicker, we are seeing some very inexperienced players in RVR (who should probably have taken a little more time in PVE before going into Emain as self-proclaimed DAOC veterans (LOL!) learning the game mechanics, learning some manners & courtesy, and learning how to be a more rounded, less selfish team player)

So now, we’re all running around powered up to the eyeballs. 50th level isn’t enough. Even having 5 or 6 level 50 characters is like “yeah, and..?”. Buff bots (which go against the spirit of the game IMO) are now essential for most people (god knows why ! are you lot afraid of what might happen if you didn't have healing on tap ? kinda makes everything easier doesn't it ?). RR10L10 is now considered to be de regeur. ML10 is old news now. We’re gods running around in a world far to big for us all to fill, where the today’s end-game challenges and epic mobs requiring 2 FG are tomorrow’s solo tasks.

Are there any challenges in Classic game PVE anymore ? In the old days, you wouldn’t go near Calleach Priests. I suppose most of you claim you can solo them, yes ? (Anyone who wants to prove to me they can without the aid of a buff-bot, send me a Freddy PM...LOL ! No response ? Miss your BB ? Thought so ! LOL !)

In a world where everyone owns a sports car and races along at 300 kph, is there still a haven for people who still enjoy driving gently around in an old second hand car…?

:)

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
not everyone is ML10 RR10L10 - heck not everyone has a level 50 character ;)

you just read too much Freddyshouse .... :)

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Remember the days when you had to wait for a tree camp (alb)
Remember the days when having a glowing sword actualy ment something
Remember the days when epic mobs in lyn barfog were worth hunting

Really miss those days.

But it all comes down to money i guess, Mythic want people to buy the expansions so add items with better stats, Take Catacombs I think i was reading that new materials can be farmed there to make better armor, why not just have materials that would make existing armor but avaliable with selectable or personalised art, that would be much better for me as a PvE/Roleplayer

Bunnytwo

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Remember the days when you had to wait for a tree camp (alb)
Remember the days when having a glowing sword actualy ment something
Remember the days when epic mobs in lyn barfog were worth hunting

Ahhhh I remember those day <sigh> could also attack someone solo in those days with a good chance that they wouldn't be buffed to hell and back.

And when first heard someone had a plat, was like "Wow!!!"

Red HATred

Fledgling Freddie
i would love to play a full enhance cleric in groups, full time, no bots... as you call them. If only they would be as accepted as other classes.

xp'ing still takes the same time..; ppl are inventive..; their constructive thoughts make all go faster... just human nature in a given system :)

The rest is called Evolution,

encounter wise... i met an gamer in-game once that gave me a golden word off advice....

"it ain't with how many ppl you do something that makes it work.... it is How you do it that makes the difference."

(i'm a bb user, and without it i'm soooooo ...well... i suck. Even more addictive then the game... beeing a power monger :) )

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
Ahhhh I remember those day <sigh> could also attack someone solo in those days with a good chance that they wouldn't be buffed to hell and back.

:worthy:

{Seagul smiles warmly, gently melting then coagulating in a sentimental goo of serendipity for the old days}

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Bunnytwo said:

lol a plat,I remember playing my first toon leveling an avalonian in camp forest - my brother then saying im not sociable anymore and spend all time on the game (this was only 2 days later) so I got him a copy... then were both hooked.

Both started paladins at Prydwen Keep, and while i was out trying to get level 3, he was nattering with someone who gave him 2 gold..... a whole 2 gold !!! and promptly got ht emost expensive sword he could get (not realising it was purple con and degraded sooo fast)

Ahh memories.

One thing im really looking forward to in EQ2 is a fresh start, everyone starting from scratch again

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Flimgoblin said:
you just read too much Freddyshouse .... :)

/agree

Nobody in FH will admit to not being below lvl50, or below RRX (whatever the current 'normal' RR is) because they're all stuck in some kind of "My penis is bigger than yours" schoolyard pissing contest. Why do you think a cry goes up when the XML goes down? ;)

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
I remember being the first one in my group of friends to make it to the loft heights of level 5, and actually getting to choose a proper class. Damn did I swagger at the time!

(and them made a 2-H armsman, DOH!)

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Ancient Seagul said:
Anyone who wants to prove to me they can without the aid of a buff-bot, send me a Freddy PM...LOL ! No response ? Miss your BB ? Thought so ! LOL !)

OMG! It's Master Fnog!

(1 free fluffle to the person that understands that)

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Tbh RR10L10 is still a very tough challenge and not many actually get it :)

frogster

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:

Indeed, out of the 3,600 active characters listed on duskwave, only 7 are rr10. (For Alb/Pryd) I think the average RR is still 3-4

Gibbo

Fledgling Freddie
Asty said:

The only thing tough about getting RR10L10 is the amount of time you spend playing. As a game playing challenge it isn't that difficult. Given enough time anybody playing the game now could get RR10L10. There is no skill involved.

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Gibbo said:
The only thing tough about getting RR10L10 is the amount of time you spend playing. As a game playing challenge it isn't that difficult. Given enough time anybody playing the game now could get RR10L10. There is no skill involved.

Well isnt it like that with lvl50 and ml10 too? just depends how you define challenge.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Archeon said:
/agree

Nobody in FH will admit to not being below lvl50, or below RRX (whatever the current 'normal' RR is) because they're all stuck in some kind of "My penis is bigger than yours" schoolyard pissing contest. Why do you think a cry goes up when the XML goes down? ;)

Actually, the average RR is RR2-3.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
i remember taking 2fg to do WoW's in raumarik :(

was good fun, i still enjoy the game to an extent, probably not nearly as much as i used to (it kinda died for me when my shammy got to 50, i was like.... what do i do now? )

ah the good old days when 5g was alot of money and thanes werent considered gimps :p

Asty

Fledgling Freddie
Svartmetall said:
Actually, the average RR is RR2-3.

Depends if you take it from all chars on server or just every player's highest rr char. I'd assume average is rr4-5

Klonk

One of Freddy's beloved
Gibbo said:

Time put into this game is ofc not to be underestimated. However, a fg of noobs constantly dying in rvr would not get rr10l10 no matter how much they might play, the same is ofc true of most casual players (myself included), try solo to rr11, not all monkeys put in front of a computer 24/7 would manage that.

Tbh the most important factors in getting high rr must be playing a lot ("dedication") and having a good guild/set group to play with. See the difference between my solo char and my group char in my sig? :p

Balbor

Fledgling Freddie
there will come a point when one side gets so many high RR player that they will kill off RvR as non will be able to beat them and therefore no one else wil be able to gain RPs at and meaningful rate.

faldarric

Fledgling Freddie
LOL i remember getting my first glowie sword and thinking i was the dogs bollocks. yeah look at me. im 50 have a glowy sword and have 1.5plat. i rock then i went to rvr and got two shotted by a caster :) lolol brought me down a big bit :)

SevenSins

Fledgling Freddie
Why are you playing an MMORPG is what I wonder.

Real MMORPG's evolve, expand, change and adjust overtime.

Mythic would've never held a classic if DAoC remained in the state it was, even though how I hunger for the old days, I'm sure with the lack of updating the graphical side (2 upgrades so far with SI/TOA), terrain expansion, and giving people more things to do on the PvE aspects (even though not always even "remotely" challenging), fixing class balance, etc, it would('ve) not live(d) up to the competition it is soon getting.

Blizzard has learned a lot from Mythic so it seems, as at this moment WoW seems like any MMORPG players wet dream, but somehow I'm sure DAoC will adjust accordingly, Catacombs with instanced dungeons... it's just a start.

Also there is 1 formula that DAoC holds no game will have (soon, anyway :p), that's the RvR aspect of DAoC.

MMORPG's evolve, expand, change and adjust overtime, if you don't want to see change in a game, you should really stick to the console RPG's :)

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
People certainly aren't all RR10. According to Duskwave, 19 people are on Prydwen, and I'm fairly certain the population is bigger than that !

Me, I'm 2L8, and not bothered by it. When RP's come from keep takes and defences, not running round emain, I'll get a lot more.

Darzil

Lumikki

Fledgling Freddie
In every mmorpg everyone always misses the old days. I do too. But who would play a game that doesn't actually evolve and progress as time goes by?

Things change, too bad daoc changed in a way that it's not enjoyable for me anymore :(.

Oh the times when Thanes ruled the battlefields.. :worthy:

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
Ancient Seagul said:
I can remember that seeing someone who was 50th level to be EXTREMELY rare, and everyone regarded them with extreme awe. 50th level was seen by many of us as almost mythical. Perhaps that was part and parcel of being a newbie.

:D I remember when I was new, and whenever I saw a 50 ride past on a horse to Castle Sauvage (I couldn't even afford horses back then, although I was perfectly content to walk everywhere:) ) I used to chase them as fast as I could to try and look at them for a bit longer before they wooshed past in their gleaming colourful armour, there i was standing in my poo coloured leathers :)

ps. Pk bridge was a good spot to ambush them when the horse slows down and you could run along side them :p

Andrilyn

Can't get enough of FH
Ah the days we(alb/prydwen) took well over 200 albs to kill the dragon and all died hehe, seems you only need 2fg or maybe even 1fg(?) to kill him now thats a bit sad though as I've always seen the dragon as the mob that should be the most challenging of all mobs but he gets farmed like 5 times a week now and saying you have killed the dragon now doesnt mean anything these days.
Same with other mobs, I remember when SotL + LoE did the first Legion raid, took ALOT (dont remember exact numbers) of people and now he is doable in 2fg or something.
Shame really that mythic keeps adding these new abilities (MLs, RAs and I'm sure catacombs will have some also) to make PvE so much easier that I bet within a few more expansions you will have people solo the dragon or legion or some super mob like that.

Sure its fun to get more abilities but they should "upgrade" the old mobs each expansion also to match the new abilities people get and also (which is very important) upgrade the drops, thats the reason you will never see anyone farming epic mobs anymore as they drop 93-95% qua items which are considered useless now.
Also area's in classic DAoC went completely empty when SI arrived and the same happend to SI when ToA arrived, if they would upgrade the old area's and mobs and loot from the old mobs to match the new mobs but still keep some things you can only get in the new area's in the new expansion (like in ToA to activate artifacts etc) people would still buy the expansion but you wouldnt kill all old area's.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Ah the days we(alb/prydwen) took well over 200 albs to kill the dragon and all died hehe, seems you only need 2fg or maybe even 1fg(?) to kill him now thats a bit sad though as I've always seen the dragon as the mob that should be the most challenging of all mobs but he gets farmed like 5 times a week now and saying you have killed the dragon now doesnt mean anything these days.

yeah, i must admit, howermuch i actually still enjoy dragon raids, it wont beat the dragon raids we used to do with almost 200 people on it, and we still managed to die (hey Roo was there, he jinxed us, it wasnt me! :p ) was damn good fun though, i was there with my lvl 17 hunter for the christmas one too while brother went with his thane :)

edit: just abit of memeroabilia (or whatever)

hamsterxmasdance.gif

btw my song should have won :eek:

Ancient Seagul

Fledgling Freddie
The one thing that keeps me loyal to DAOC are you lot. I love the diversity of players, the fact that it can be played by anyone anywhere anytime. I don't play consistently enough to take anything too seriously any more. It's just a game. I can't be arsed to cause arguments and bravely flame ppl behind an anonymous firewall. I don't care that I'm not RR10 ML10. Grats to all those who dedicate themselves to achieving such goals. I simply don't have the time, and I don't wanna spend /waste too much of my life moving pixels round a screen when I have a 4 year old son, a wonderful wife, and loving parents. To be honest, I don't role play. I probably did for the first 10 minutes, then got bored of it. I love chatting, meeting interesting and funny characters. Of course the game has to evolve if its to survive. I just find that the game evolves a little too fast for my own style of playing so hence I preferred it back in the old days when things were a lot simpler and newer.

See you down the pub !

:cheers:

Kelio

Fledgling Freddie
Ancient Seagul said:
The one thing that keeps me loyal to DAOC are you lot. I love the diversity of players, the fact that it can be played by anyone anywhere anytime. I don't play consistently enough to take anything too seriously any more. It's just a game. I can't be arsed to cause arguments and bravely flame ppl behind an anonymous firewall. I don't care that I'm not RR10 ML10. Grats to all those who dedicate themselves to achieving such goals. I simply don't have the time, and I don't wanna spend /waste too much of my life moving pixels round a screen when I have a 4 year old son, a wonderful wife, and loving parents. To be honest, I don't role play. I probably did for the first 10 minutes, then got bored of it. I love chatting, meeting interesting and funny characters. Of course the game has to evolve if its to survive. I just find that the game evolves a little too fast for my own style of playing so hence I preferred it back in the old days when things were a lot simpler and newer.

See you down the pub !

:cheers:

:clap: :worthy:
agree

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
200 people? I still have screenshots of a dragon raid with 380 people! Of course it failed - the zone crashed before we even got to the lair. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom