Are there any british shows that Yanks won't steal?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I dunno, i sometimes find US versions much more entertaining. Not that it applies all the time. The US just knows how to make stuff, fun i guess :p

Bit different, atleast with US shows you don't have to focus on what the f*ck the peeps are saying :D

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
I agree that they an do some stuff well. I really like the American office. Don't know that it's better, but I like it.

Shameless however. I just don't see the real humor of that translating well. I see this being just "My name is earl" under a different name.

Fast

Part of the furniture
lol no fookin way. That looks shite..

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
I agree that they an do some stuff well. I really like the American office. Don't know that it's better, but I like it.

Shameless however. I just don't see the real humor of that translating well. I see this being just "My name is earl" under a different name.

Yeah, would have to reasearch this shameless to know more.

Though on a sidenote; i think it's more "Brits sellings shows to US" then "US stealing" ;)

Cerb

I am a FH squatter
No I know I just put it that way for effect more than anything else.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
will h. macy as frank. LOL. Atleast the bird playing Fiona is fit. But it's not really gonna have the same grit really.

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!
It won't work. The same thing was tried with Coupling, it was canned when the american public found it to sex orientated.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
It won't work. The same thing was tried with Coupling, it was canned when the american public found it to sex orientated.

As opposed to being utter shit like the UK version :)

Shameless wont work in America, not in the same way it does here.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
No I know I just put it that way for effect more than anything else.

Yeah and it wouldn't go down well if it read "Are there any shows that the british won't sell out" :D

Calaen is most likely right though, US sure(even if they are getting better) is the most sexually supressed(?) country in the world.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
I think when we try and 'steal' US shows and remake them into UK ones they do not seem to work either, the originality of a show and the specific audience it is written for is not something you can rebrand successfully. Like when you get Japanese films remade by the Americans, they lose something in the translation and it just doesn't work...yet they still do it Oo

Aph3x

Part of the furniture
To be fair the British version of Shameless has been shit ever since Kev and Veronica left, along with most of the origional cast.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
lol I am just imagining a USA versions of all creatures great and small, James Herriot with a machine gun going to treat the abused animals of hillbillies and trailer trash "Hay Yo Darroby 485 how you doin?....Helleeeeeeeeeeeeeen get the elbow length gloves!!" Tristan and Siegfriend would be interesting too, could use Frasier and Niles hehe

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
From a British perspective, ok - from MY perspective, any number of British shows converted into dollars would be an instant fail (especially Fawlty Towers). But a lot of British shows are loved around the world - you only have to go onto Youtube to see the +comments.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Yeah, would have to reasearch this shameless to know more.

Though on a sidenote; i think it's more "Brits sellings shows to US" then "US stealing" ;)

It's pretty much entirely Northern English. The only reason the show works is because on the surface it mirrors working class life (in appearances etc.) coupled with fairly ludicrous storylines. To make it American is to remove the only thing about it of any quality. (I don't personally rate the show, but I do like the way it depicts the area and the people, it feels very real even if the rest of it is stupid as shit.) It wouldn't even work if you moved it to the South of England, let alone Yankland.

It's a bit like the US doing Rab C Nesbitt.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Ah, bit like taking a finnish show about a certain part of our capital and making it work in new york :p

Yeah, culturally limited shows should stay that way. Atleast if they fail, they show what life is around the world.

Part reason i watched, what was it, skins seasons 1 or some such. It wasn't that it was in my taste or anything, but it showed a bit more about the culture. Not the culture that REALY is going on, but more of the local taste in TV. Though it ofcourse could be an accurate portrayal of UK youth :p

FuzzyLogic

Kicking squealing Gucci little piggy
Is this the one with Emmy Rossum getting her kit off?

Call me shallow but i'm going to give it a chance ;), after all, if the original still exists, this won't break it. Much like movie remakes, surely.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I think Fawlty Towers would be awesome with Adam Sandler as Basil, Adam Sandler as Sybil and Adam Sandler as Manuel, directed by Fox News and produced by Warner Brothers.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Maybe not a direct copy, but a similar scenario might work with US comedy style.

Someone like Steve Carrell as a mexican stereotype busboy, i mean come on ;)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I'd like to see the Yanks trying to do Are You Being Served or Dad's Army :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Well Allo Allo in Iraq would be funny as hell :p

Though if someone does that now, i want it on record that i called it first and demand 10% ;)

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Well Allo Allo in Iraq would be funny as hell :p

Though if someone does that now, i want it on record that i called it first and demand 10% ;)

Listen very carefully I will blow myself up in a crowded street market only once? Can't see it catching on.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Listen very carefully I will blow myself up in a crowded street market only once? Can't see it catching on.

Well not from a terrorist point of view ofcourse :D

Not that i'm calling you a terrorist :eek7:

FYI; that joke you said would work wonders ;)

Marc

FH is my second home
To be fair the British version of Shameless has been shit ever since Kev and Veronica left, along with most of the origional cast.

The last series was up there with series 2

Keitanz

Can't get enough of FH
They are even stealing The Inbetweeners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ormorof

FH is my second home
Well imagine some US shows in british, also comedy ensues :p

The Wire - London edition?

i doubt the nanny state would allow it :p

and ive met CSI : Humberside

we got burgled, big footprints all over back garden, 3 days later one bloke in a van shows up "its raiined, nowt we can do!" and leaves... hardly awe inspiring television :p

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Pointless even watching the american version considering it will follow the exact same story as the english one did.... who wants to see americans acting ruin a show like shameless :p? I sure as hell don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom