Question Are AMD that bad?

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Are the new AMD chips that bad...?
Like the AMD PhenomII X4 940 and 955

From what I can tell they perform just as well as many of the Intel chipsets.
Some even do really well against the stupidly expensive i7.

Since AMD seem to be cheaper and are performing just as well I have started to wonder about perhaps going for one of these instead...as you seem to get more from your money..

Ive been looking at upgrading for some time now so was just wondering what everyone else thinks about AMD these days?

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm kinda biased towards AMD as I've never actually used a machine with an Intel chip (at home) but I think the new chips do give the I7s a run for their money. I'm actually in the same boat as you, the PhenomII chip looks rather sprangly for the money and speed.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I tend to stick with AMD, have done for years tbh. Don't see any reason to change.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
Incidentally, lost all respect for intel when they pulled out of the one laptop per child program.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I was a huge AMD fanboi till I decided to swap for my quad core C2D. As of this current thought, when I actually get around to upgrading, I will either get an i7 for the quad hyperthreading or whatever coolness AMD will be offering.

I just didn't buy into the 3xcore thing they were doing. that was bad.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Incidentally, lost all respect for intel when they pulled out of the one laptop per child program.

The OLPC program has many negative points. It was a reasonable idea but it was, as usual, terribly implemented. Many companies had good reason to withdraw. In a few years you will be able to get a laptop for $100 anyway.

Chilly

Balls of steel
I was a huge AMD fanboi till I decided to swap for my quad core C2D. As of this current thought, when I actually get around to upgrading, I will either get an i7 for the quad hyperthreading or whatever coolness AMD will be offering.

I just didn't buy into the 3xcore thing they were doing. that was bad.

3core architectures can be amazingly efficient. Imagine a cache resolution problem:

4 cores, one chip, connected via a routed bus (intel)
3 cores, one chip direct bus links from every core to every other core (amd 3core)

if you need to check another cores register for a cached item, its two direct requests and no hops/extra shit.

With an intel you need to get onto the bus, do some negotiation bollocks and get a response. Makes more a lightly less efficient cache architecture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom