Archibald's Control.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
Archibald’s Control

My former life seems so distant from me now. I am three months from graduating from my Economics degree and about to my married to who I thought was at school to be just my best friend from kindergarten – Sophia Harper. She also has graduated like me, and is well on the way to becoming a barrister.

During my three years here in London, reading at Oxbridge University. I feel that I have shed the shell of my former past. My controlling divorced parents seem nothing more than just a passé part of my life and that my destiny is at hand. I am at last in control and weaving my own destiny.

I have renounced being a Scouser and have adopted a fully-fledged London-cockney accent. None of my friends back home knows who I am anymore and I have even become a vegetarian the behest of my beloved. It feels like a great weight has been lifted from me.

Life seems so full of wonder - even at twenty-four. Every corner I turn has some element of wonder. It feels like the childhood I never had. Each room seems to have possibility and that I have entered a toy store for older children.

I sometimes think about my parents. The mental and physical abuse that they dished out to me. I still have some resentment towards them. Ok, I was not the perfect boy. They couldn’t pass on the lessons of mistakes they had made to me and give a brother or sister the comfort in what they had done to make things right. The trouble is, they kept making those mistakes. Perhaps there is also resentment on their part there for them.

Every corner for them had its challenges when they were a couple or should I say parents joined in matrimony. For me, it seemed as though I was being punished for the things they suffered under their own parents. Despite my travail, I could not make them see what they were doing was wrong. Even though they were god-fearing Catholics, they still beat me with vehemence. Every second was lived in fear of what might happen next. I really cannot fathom why the beat me for the very small things that I did wrong and even right. Still, as I say, that is all in the past now.

I am due to start my new job on Monday as an underwriter. Sophia has her eyes on a house in Cambridge when we get married. It seems a very nice bohemian place to live. Things could turn out rather nice there. Commuting to work each day and having parties on Krug Champagne after work. On the way home, I could buy her some flowers or some food or something to make her happy each, and every day. I have little need of grooming from her given my family upbringing. As I love to dote on her every movement.

Everything seems to be moving swimmingly since I moved here. I have a wonderful set of new friends whom have very rich parents might I add. I am regularly being invited to parties across London. It’s been pretty much that way since I came down here. Last week Sophia’s parents bought me one of those new romantic suits like Duran Duran have on that video of theirs – Rio. She even made me have a hair cut like Simon Le Bon. That’s done wonders for my street-cred. My phone was busy before in my student flat for being invited to parties and the like, but now I even am called up to deliver drugs to my work colleagues and thus the party invitations have multiplied. I can truly say that I am not of my former shell.

The next thirty years of my life are going to be golden ones where everything that was made wrong in my life I feel I can make amends and put right – with bells on. We are going to be so happy when I am promoted in a few years time. I feel that promotion is only a small step away and then the world is my oyster. All I need to do is stop drinking and smoking. Cut out my small gambling addiction and she will love me for the person she wants me to be. Seems like a coaster of a deal if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom