Archer Questions ...????

Lau Cusa

Fledgling Freddie
I have played a lot of MMOLRPGS and archers seem to do really well but it doesn't seem so in this game. Archers are generally looked down upon here and I was wondering why. Having NEVER player an Archer in any Game and only having player Pally and a Necro in this game I would welcome some advice and comments on archers.

Lets assume I want to start one - what stats should I adopt and why? What Race and class should I start off as? As my Necro is a fairly good crafter (tailoring) my woodworking skill is quite high - could I craft decent arrows for it? Any other tips please?

Finally is it feaisble to play a crossbow toon and if so how would I go about that?

I sorta have a vision of picking off mages from afar as I am frd up with being on the reciving end of the "get mezzed, get rooted get nuked combo" our enemies continually throw at us :(

Thanks for all constructive help and suggestions in advance.

Bishibosh

Fledgling Freddie
the main problem with archers in exp groups is that they are a mixture of tank and nuker, without being nearly as effective as either class. Therefore the spot is usually considered best spent on useful classes.

You need to be a fletcher to craft arrows, though it is very fast to get it to 500 in order to make arrows

you should make

Saracen

15 dex
(rest in str quick con as you see fit)

and have a spec roughly at 45 bow 34 stealth 29 slash/thrust 42 shield, though there isn't really a fotm scout spec, its really down to personal opinion.

Personally, when we get the free respecs I will be trying a 50 slash 45 bow 34 stealth rest shield spec, though this is certainly not advisable for PvE.

As a scout you cannot use xBow, only longbow/hunting bow.

In rvr scouts do make effective soloers, able to kill light tanks at a distance with ease, and the whole distance killing thing certainly adds to your safety. But there are downsides, such as ineffective close range fighting.

A scout is certainly an interesting class, but be prepared to have a hard time leveling up, thats all.

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
I have played a lot of MMOLRPGS and archers seem to do really well but it doesn't seem so in this game. Archers are generally looked down upon here and I was wondering why. Having NEVER player an Archer in any Game and only having player Pally and a Necro in this game I would welcome some advice and comments on archers.

Can't comment on other games with archers but they perform very well in daoc, only problem is you get made road kill by assasins without RA's to help.

Lets assume I want to start one - what stats should I adopt and why? What Race and class should I start off as? As my Necro is a fairly good crafter (tailoring) my woodworking skill is quite high - could I craft decent arrows for it? Any other tips please?

I think most go saracen for the massive dex(bow dmg) of the race.

If your around 800+tailoring anyways, you can get about 500fletch skill for best arrows, tho its a lot of hassle to save a few gold, I tend to get merchant ones.

I sorta have a vision of picking off mages from afar as I am frd up with being on the reciving end of the "get mezzed, get rooted get nuked combo" our enemies continually throw at us

Still happens if you get caught leeching ;D

Personally, when we get the free respecs I will be trying a 50 slash 45 bow 34 stealth rest shield spec, though this is certainly not advisable for PvE.

Was some screens posted on critshot.com from a french scout having that spec, 200-300 dmg in melee and critshots 1k, normal 500 or so, want to try it out myself :)

Atm I've 36bow(too low;<) 39slash 42shield 35stealth, can stand on my own in a few up close fights but think I need IP etc to insure a win.

I lvl'd with spec high sword and shield spec for grouping, guard my plus, but harder to kill something solo, I think max bow would be a better solo spec for PvE tho.

Tualatin

Fledgling Freddie
200-300 dmg in melee? Maybe when he was SC'd / Buffed high RR, and target misses all that.. but you won't see such damage much on lvl50 chars you see in RvR :)

Bunnytwo

Fledgling Freddie
Definately wouldn't bother with making your own arrows, much easier to just buy em (the time taken to make those arrows you can make the money a lot quicker on your necro).

I'd go Sara 10dex 10con 10 quick.

As for final spec I'm rather addicted to 50bow 42 shield 34 stealth rest thrust. Yep you suck melee, but tbh if I'm meleeing I'm prob dead anyways, slam buys a bit of time to get away or for someone else to kill the sucker on me.

50 bow also gives best chance of taking down those casters with the full pierce BT chance.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Tualatin said:
200-300 dmg in melee? Maybe when he was SC'd / Buffed high RR, and target misses all that.. but you won't see such damage much on lvl50 chars you see in RvR :)
Why would he be RvRing without buffs and SC? :p
I don't think it's beyond the realms of credibility by any means - my minstrel used to hit for well over 200 on many targets (SBs in particular) and that was before TOA (which tends to boost damage).

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
Bunnytwo said:
50 bow also gives best chance of taking down those casters with the full pierce BT chance.

Thats on "non personal" BT, so self casted doesn't count :/

In my experience, a buffed Scout gets popular in PBAoE groups, due to the insane block rate on guard which is higher than Paladins due to higher dex and the fact that a small shield still blocks 3 enemys on guard.

Can't speak for other archers tho.

Lau Cusa

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the very interesting and helpful comments apprecited.

I am thinking of making a scout but was wondering what to do with the spare 30+ points - I can see the 10/10/10 option dex/speed /conbut what would happen if I wanted to have a bow only non melee ( read fire and run away!) kinda archer and went 15 dec/15 quick or ecen 20 dex/10 quick. I have never made characters before so please go easy on me for suggesting this :)

:cheers:

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
With my Saifang, I didn't add +qui at start, and with yellow buffs with +23% bonus she has 251qui, and the cap is 250.

Prob best with 10con 15dex if you plan on bow mostly.

TeaSpoon

Fledgling Freddie
Aye, the con is damned usefull, but if you're going thrust, the dex will help the bow, thrust and shield :)

Talim

Fledgling Freddie
Archer LOL

Play your pally Lau Cusa - I know who u are LOL. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom