Arbitrator - An Idea / Suggestion

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
This will mainly be of interest to GMs and officers that have to deal with various <cough> situations that arise between players which can upset the smooth running and chilled out nature of your virtual day.

Scenario: you have two players that are at each others throats over a real (lol, er you know what I mean) or imagined slight, argument, disagreement, shouting match or what ever and it has led to fisticuffs or handbags at dawn.

You are now faced with the daunting task of working out who is at fault and who should be apologising to who.

(Now, I never really admitted this while playing but I generally found that both sides should be apologising as I don't think I've often found that one side only was blameless.)

So.

What can be done to ease this task?

It occured to me that having the option for someone who has been asked to arbitrate these scuffles be allowed to request logs for the time period in question. You get a dialog which prompts for Start and End time, and the names of the characters involved. Once you have done this, each player gets an acceptance dialog, which asks them to confirm this. Each player that accepts has their log sent to the arbitrator either by email or by stuffing into a subdirectory off DAoC - the mechanics are unimportant (for the purpose of this discussion, so any devs out there stop shaking your heads :D).

What this then gives the arbitrator is undoctored logs and the ability to work out what went on without anyone hiding anything allowing GMs or officers to deal with problems better.

Nxs

One of Freddy's beloved
Normaly most disagrements get sorted or put down to bad communications - if things to get heated then durely GOA is the arbitrator anyway

burg

Fledgling Freddie
Imo goa should spend more time on customer support than that :)

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
I don't think I've explained myself very clearly, sorry.

When I was acting as GM I had to deal with arguments from time to time between people. Could be something as stupid as arguing over who was in an area to pull first, or someone was accusing of leeching etc. Sometimes it could be arguments between officers of two entirely separate guilds who just wanted to lay some troubles on the other.

I was the one asked to deal with it. Now its not a problem for GOA as its a social issue in game, rather than abuse of rules or anything so its down to someone to sort it out and get things straightened between 2 people or groups of people.

You can never quite trust logs and screenies are rare. Something like this would have made my life a lot easier at those times when players got heated over something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom