Aq2 Model/Skin/Icon Filenames.

• Thread starter ShockingAlberto
  • Start date
S

ShockingAlberto

Running Q2 in Linux, i have come up against one problem. Filenames. Now most of you proberbly know that Linux filenames are case sensitive, so to make Q2 run right you may have to chnage a few 'PAK0.PAK's into 'pak0.pak's, and this isn't a problem.

My problem is the models for AQ2. Having been told i 'need the model packs to play', i downloaded them. I had one problem, there's a specific version of modelpack1 for UNIX systems, and all the mirrors wernt working. Now alot of the windows mirrors were also broken, so i just improvised and downloaded the Windows version, hell, i would have to download a Windows version of the 2nd pack anyway, so it couldn't matter that much.

Now it's evident that the Unix version of the modelpack1 had correct filenames, something which the windows version doesn't.

Now after going through(fairly quickly with the high versatile rename command)and renaming all the files to what would make sense(ie, .md2 rather than .MD2, ect, ect), i tried a server. Now it was trying to download files, the files for the SAS model. I had all the files for it, so i paid close attention to all the names, and went through renaming all the files correctly. It was a TelePac server, and the SAS dir was 'Sas', and most of the model/skins were 'SasPolice, SasJungle, ect', so sorted them all out, and got the models to work fine. The only problem i had was that the Icons(that appear on the scoreboard) were trying to download, and i had them. I noted instead of using 'SasPolice.pcx', it was using 'SasPolice'. Now i assumed this might be a quik with the server, so i left and found a populated BW server.

Shock Horror, i found that the BW server was using a file naming convention the opposite to that of the TelePac server. It wanted my sas models in '/sas', and the filenames needed to be 'saspolice', so being clever i copied the dir, and fixed it up, leaving the one which worked with TelePac there for compatability.

Now i got it to work so that the SAS model worked fine on BW, but i had the issue of the Icons again. BW also was using them without any extensions, 'saspolice' rather than 'saspolice.pcx'. Now my problem is that after taking off the file extensions, it made no differance. I have the files, named exactly as they should be, yet it still wont display them. It is paticurly annoying since whenever the scoreboard is showing, a continuous stream of error messages stops me seeing frags and text(annoying at the end of the map).

Now to me this means that they arent image files. inux wont recognise them as images, no imaging software i have is showing them, and they arent showing up ingame. Now i have a feeling i have seen coloured team icons with other mods, which leads me to beleave that Linux does support the file type...

Now as well as this problem, i think some of my other models may be messed up as the SAS one was, but i'm not getting 'file not found' errors so i dont know what to rename them as. The reason why i think this is because the model that was appearing as both teams before i got the SAS model working still appears for one team. It's an 'FBI-Lookalike', which a big chest and a suite, so i assume he's the default model to use when the game cant use a model the server wnats it to.

So in short, here's my poblem. The icons for the scoreboard refuse to display(for any AQ model), i have problems with differant servers wanting files named with differant capitalization, and i think most of my models are broken because of this.

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know of somewhere to get advice on this, as it's bloody annoying! I dont know why they couldn't have realsed the modelpacks as pak files, which would prevent this happening!

T

throdgrain

excellent ,eloquently put question.unfortunately i've no idea.good night
:)

S

ShockingAlberto

Aye, must have taken about half anhour at least to type that in :/
But looking now, i have a feeling i doubt i'll get an answere :(

Night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom