Applying to a game design academy

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
After countless hours of thinking where i should put my skills to use i have decided to apply for a game designer education. I have so many creative ideas circling in my head but i need to learn how to put them to use. Tho, some academys require something like a glimpse of what you have done, for example a game mod, design vision or whatever and i would not know where to start, how to put my creativeness to use.

Perhaps if i wanted to make the simplest game, a platformer with a stick-man jumping around levels or perhaps an isometric view game, just the simplest you could imagine. Or just put my design ideas on paper, how would i go ahead and do it?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
-Title (name, you know, Emorage 3000)
-Summary (2 lines or so)
-General (What is it?)
-Soloplayer (Features)
-multiplayer (Ditto)
-etc (other features that are large enough to mention)
-controls (With what and how)
-controls(mp) (Same as above)
-selling points (What's new? Why?)
-recap (Quick sales pitch)

Basic high concept, write it down ;)

Then create the game with some or such, or don't. Always helps if it's a complete game, but that's pretty much as far as high concepts go in game industry.

Nate

FH is my second home
I have a friend that works in the employment business of the gaming world, he told me going to those gaming academy's or getting a degree in gaming is a waste of time. Better to get a proper one like computer science or smth.

aika

Can't get enough of FH
get a computer science degree, or better math+comp sci combined degree (dunno if you have those things in sweden, you should though).

edit: reason is if you want a serious game, you need a very good algorithmic knowledge and to understand concepts like complexity and computativity of your algorithms.

(so we don't end up with games like some of today's that have simple graphics yet lag badly on the latest rigs :))

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
I have a friend that works in the employment business of the gaming world, he told me going to those gaming academy's or getting a degree in gaming is a waste of time. Better to get a proper one like computer science or smth.

I guess. Thing is the ones i am looking at have contacts with pretty big Swedish game developers such as Starbreeze studios but also some smaller ones and it is a big business esp in Stockholm. And i do not have time for a lenghty computer science / maths course. I am more into design ideas and concepts / graphic concepts but not so much programming.

To be honest. An game design school would be the perfect thing for me. I just need some basic knowledge and ideas and something to do.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home

Computer science for game design is worthless(pretty much) too.

The fact is that there's not really anything you can take to advance game design. for graphics, code, producing etc, all those have some form of school that can be applied, but outside these game desgin schools(which are pointless too :p), there isn't much.

A writing course of some form would be closest, but otherwise it's just a matter of having ideas and knowing how to put them down on paper and especially sell them.

And the key element; knowing how to kill your babies.

xomer

Can't get enough of FH
whatever that you will do, i wish you good luck :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom