News Apple finally get a slap

Kryten

Old Cow.
For their consistent adverts/60 Seconds of Lies shows. I was one of the 17 people who raised this complaint with Ofcom/ASA and glad to see that at last someone is taking action against these monopolising morons.

BBC NEWS | Business | Apple made to drop iPhone advert

Not having a dig at the iPhone, as much as I hate using and dismantling/repairing the damned things, or indeed it's owners, but as much as I dislike Apple for how they get away with murder in advertising pure bollocks, this is one that made me grin from ear to ear :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I saw that and thought the complaint was fair enough, but can we just stop and acknowledge that Kryt... you're a complainer :\. It's all downhill from here, shouting at the TV, phrases like "In my day..!" etc.

Dude :\.

:D

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'm sure I saw this advert earlier, and it clearly said at the bottom of the screen that the load times were sped up to decrease the time of the advert, or words similar to that effect. The 'network performance may very' business came on just after that.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Aye, but it's not just that is it. It's all the bollocks about the "worlds thinnest laptop" "worlds greenest laptop" "worlds best phone" and all that crap.

Yeah I'm a complainer, some things can't be helped. I just like to see people who constantly push their luck finally get some action taken against them. If apple pushed their luck any harder the engine would start and it'd fly them to the moon and back :/

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Meh, doesn't get to me too much, though the iPhone net speeds thing deserved to be dealt with, it is false advertising. Worlds thinnest laptop though? Is it not accurate? I agree, big who gives a fuck on that front, but if it's true they should be able to say it.

Generally though I just hate all adverts - the latest screenwipe pretty much echoed my opinions on them. The "science bit" in ads drives me up the wall. Also I always thought it was interesting that those eyelash makeup ads (whatever that shit is) says at the bottom "filmed using lash inserts" - I don't see why that is allowed? I clearly take make-up ads very seriously. :/

Will

/bin/su
83% of women agreed our shampoo and conditioner were better*.

*Than plain shampoo. 13 women asked.

KevinUK

Can't get enough of FH
Haha I thought of you Kryt when I heard the ad had been pulled, I knew you would have been involved ;)

My issue is how national campaigns can be broadcast when only 60 ish % of 100 asked in surveys agree.

What was wrong with the Iphone ads though? It clearly showed at the bottom something like "edited to appear faster" or something.
edit - oh think I'm talking about one of their other ads.

I know all ads are propaganda so instead of listening to the message I stare at the bottom of the screen and laugh at the text (true message) instead.

I was annoyed with the crazy frog ring tone, not at their pricing but at how the public said they were being ripped off when it clearly said at the bottom of the screen "you have to unsubscribe or we will leach you of all your money".

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's written in small harder to read print for a reason. They would prefer not to draw attention to it but are legally obliged. Well fuck them I say, be upfront about what you're selling or fuck right off.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Nail on the head. This is our product, want it, should be the message. Not "this is what we want you to think our product is, want it". Hence £100 anti wrinkle creams designed to make you think your wrinkles are less pronounced, laptops that are the thinnest in the world except 2 others at the time of advertisement but we wont tell you that, phones that browse that fast but don't really, etc etc.

All of this is designed to prove one thing - that people in general can be idiots and most of them will indeed buy whatever your advert is telling them. I've always said that Apple could sell yellow snow to Eskimos, and they probably would/could. Because it would be the yellowest snow in the world.*

*Except on a snowy day in Hull.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
I didn't know that about the laptop thing - what laptops were thinner?

RandomBastard

Can't get enough of FH
There was a voodoopc (hp) that was a couple of mm thinner and included hdmi out

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I dislike the cult of Jobs and all it's products with a fashion. For instance the iPhone is a smartphone aimed at stupid people, who can't figure out Symbian or WinMo. Seriously Steve no cut and paste? No picture messages?

Clearly from the same person who thinks you only need one mouse button to use a computer.

But you know what I dislike more than anything? That smug patronising **** who does the voiceovers for the advert. "On our really expensive phone we don't let you do anything with, we make it realy easy for you to spend more money with us. iPhone. Because you're a sucker." FUCK OFF YOU AIDS INFESTED CUM GUZZLING *****LAP!!!!"!"!!"!

Ahem. Sorry

nath

Fledgling Freddie
lol :)

To be fair, the iPhone interface is currently unparalleled. It's awesome-o, but that doesn't make up for its flaws.

Kryten

Old Cow.
I didn't know that about the laptop thing - what laptops were thinner?

And indeed the Toshiba Portege R100 series, quite a way thinner and definitely better specified/featured.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
ARGH THE ADVERTS JUST BEEN ON AGAIN!!!!!!!!!! MAKE HIM GO AWAY!!!!!!!

It's such a bag of wank. It does less than my old W950i but does it with shinier buttons. How fucking stupid are some people?

Kryten

Old Cow.
Definitely a matter of taste I suppose. If you want/have one, fine - as long as it's on the devices very few actual merits.

I shouldn't really complaint too much, after all if it wasn't for Apple's legendarily poor hardware quality I wouldn't be making a packet fixing the bloody stuff :D (Yes, Mr iPhone Screen, I'm talking about you!)

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
My favourite was always, "9 out of 10 cat owners, that expressed a preference, said their cats preferred it". This was the second iteration after advertising watchdog made them change it.

Heineken, probably the best beer in the world!

`mongoose

One of Freddy's beloved
the thing with apple tho, is that they're arrogant cocks now.

The response from the company "the average user would realise that the words "really fast" were relative and not absolute".

Would they fuck. The average user probably saw the first thing it did and said "oo shinies, me want"

I think the iPhone (like the iPod) is vastly overpriced and over-rated. The issue may be that Apple (yet again) have got a simple concept with an amazing interface and that will overcome all of the negatives for the majority of users.

M

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I can't fault Apple really. They make things, sell loads of them, and pocket loads of cash.

I wish I was as clever as that.

Kryten

Old Cow.
Well that's exactly it, they're marketing folks are one of the best I know, they just know how much they can get away with :/

YoDa

Fledgling Freddie
lol how sad can you be to really complain along with them 16 other people who have nothing better to do with there life. Its only a silly advert get over it.

Kryten

Old Cow.
YoDa: I don't think it consumes my life, having these little annoyances, however as I'm quite likely the most selfless person most people will ever meet, I don't like the idea that other people will fall foul of false or exaggerated claims. It doesn't make me sad, it means I can take a couple of minutes out of my otherwise not-particularly-busy schedule to type out a quick email of complaint.
I bash Apple a lot, everyone knows that, and not everyone likes it; that's to be expected, it doesn't mean that everyone also feels the need to act like a child about it. Constructive arguments help the world progress. Childish comments like yours hold it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom