Apple attempting to corner most of the English language

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Starting with "App Store"

Apple to Microsoft: 'App Store name is not generic' ? The Register

Not only are you not allowed to do many things you'd like to with the device you actually own, Apple would now like to claim lots of the English language as an Apple invention.

Won't be long before Apple will be suing you for thinking about their products in a non-approved manner :)

Chilly

Balls of steel
And this is the first ever time you've seen a daft trademark? Classic ZOMG Apple did something so it's news syndrome. It's like watching tiny babies laugh or fart. Amusing but frankly mundane.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
troll-dolls.jpg

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
oh god I have a sudden urge to masturbate :(

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
Such a classless company of utter *****, I really hope they go tits up and spectacularly fail.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Much as I loathe them, Apple have a valid case. Of course you can trade mark generic words or a combination of them, but usually only as part of a recognisable mark/identity (remember the GAME trademark case?).

Of course Apple might want to play down some of their defence; "88% of all references to an App Store refer to Apple" for instance; *puts that into the file marked, "Anti-trust/dominant position evidence"*

Wij

I am a FH squatter
App Store is a combination of two generic words. Admittedly that combination can sometimes be unique and not common sense and therefore trademarkable (MY WORD - TRADEMARKED). In this case though it's common sense and I wish them great failure.

The Cupertino Control-freakery is getting too much.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
App Store is a combination of two generic words. Admittedly that combination can sometimes be unique and not common sense and therefore trademarkable (MY WORD - TRADEMARKED). In this case though it's common sense and I wish them great failure.

The Cupertino Control-freakery is getting too much.

There are thousands upon thousands of trade marks that consist of two generic words, and "common sense" has nothing to do with it, if Apple can show "evidence of use" that has made generic terms distinct in relation to their product/service (which is why they are making the 88% claim). It is quite difficult to get new generic word or word combinations accepted as trademarks, but Apple already have a successful track record in this area. Take a look a their trademark list to see what I mean.

As I said, I loathe Apple and agree about their control-freakery, but it doesn't always mean they're wrong.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
They should have simply called it the "Apple App Store", obviously Google saw this coming and steered away from the name. The other companies should take note and simple choose a new name for their.... app stores.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Common Sense was perhaps the wrong phrase. I'm sure there's something in US TM law that says that it can't just be a description of the good or service. App store imo is just that. Like pawn shop or fork handle.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
They should have simply called it the "Apple App Store", obviously Google saw this coming and steered away from the name. The other companies should take note and simple choose a new name for their.... app stores.

I see what you did there.

And frankly it makes the point. 88% last year. 80% this year. 65% next year.

Apple may have planted the idea of a store where you buy applications in to the mainstream consciousness but does that allow them to trademark the words? Tricky one. I think I am on Microsofts side here.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
some of those trademarks are awesome :)

Aqua and Cocoa o_O

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom