AoM vs PD

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
I have just been looking at the RA table over at Shadowedge Gamer. I am confused by the discrepancy between Physical Defence and Avoidance of magic. It seems to me that casters would spec PD to lessen melee and tanks would spec AoM to lessen magic...so why are the percentages returned not identical?

PD is: 2% 5% 12% 19% 28%

AoM is: 2% 5% 10% 15% 20%

At Lvl 5, PD is 40% more effective than AoM 5 - that surely cannot be right?

I accept that few people would choose to spec over Lvl 4 in either, but it still seems unbalanced to me.

waok`whips

Fledgling Freddie
Well if your a tank, I guess toughness would be better, but I have neither cos they are basically too expensive & dont do a very good job unless you spec highly in them. :(

I dunno why they are different, I went off a bit soz, I'll go now...

./shuts door

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
Because mythic hate tanks, and love casters, that ought to be obvious by now.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
aren't archers and mages the only class that can get PD? if so, i don't see the problem.. add melee resistance buffs first :p

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
vf - melee resis would be a bit harsh on tanks tbh - tanks hit for around 300 each weap or smth? casters "swing time" is just as fast and mostly faster hitting 400-600++ so i'd say resis are fine as they are.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
aren't archers and mages the only class that can get PD? if so, i don't see the problem.. add melee resistance buffs first :p

No, Minstrels can purchase Physical Defence as well.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Elvo^Rylu said:
Same reason they reduced Mastery of Magery so much.

Balance.

But it isn't balanced. If it were balanced, AoM should grant *higher* resists to magic then PD does to melee, to reflect the fact that tanks cannot damage until they are within melee range, whereas casters have a huge range advantage.

Actually, just quickly thinking that through a little more, it would be awesome if AoM granted *double* it's current percentage resists, so 4% at Lvl I and 40% at Lvl V. Now that would be balanced...

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
You can't "interrupt" a tank from killing you.

Poke a caster and he can't cast any spells for 3 seconds.

Tanks also already got much higher HP than casters, so they need less resists to survive as long.

Casters have cloth armor and low hp.

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Elvo^Rylu said:
You can't "interrupt" a tank from killing you.

Poke a caster and he can't cast any spells for 3 seconds.

Tanks also already got much higher HP than casters, so they need less resists to survive as long.

Casters have cloth armor and low hp.

Mate that's a terrible argument. I am not disputing the cloth armour aspect, but with MLs (Brittle Guards), Purge and MoC it's a frickin' nightmare trying to kill a caster 1v1.

You seem to ignore the fact that a tank will never get anywhere near a caster ordinarily anyway. Most if not all casters have access to root or stun to hold them at range, then it's nuke, nuke, nuke dead.

A caster can negate the HP difference between themselves and a tank (light tank like myself anyway) with one cast with a good crit.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
so much bs ~~

caster has 1400-1500 hp with a good template, where tanks will get 2300-3000

mage hits for about 400 on 50% resist, add a perfect crit and they hit for 600 dmg once in a while.

tanks will hit a mage for anywhere between 200-1000 depending on spec, crits, offhand hits, etc. light tanks have sick abilities like charge and banelord interrupts (or flatout 60-70% dmg decrease, fair isnt it!!111) not even to mention the retarded interrupt code

but in the end, mages will do fine if they're good players, and so will tanks. its pretty balanced atm from my point of view - even tho casters have the edge at standoffs (no shit) and tanks have the edge in fg vs fg

Kwidz

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Mate that's a terrible argument. I am not disputing the cloth armour aspect, but with MLs (Brittle Guards), Purge and MoC it's a frickin' nightmare trying to kill a caster 1v1.

You seem to ignore the fact that a tank will never get anywhere near a caster ordinarily anyway. Most if not all casters have access to root or stun to hold them at range, then it's nuke, nuke, nuke dead.

A caster can negate the HP difference between themselves and a tank (light tank like myself anyway) with one cast with a good crit.

talking about 1v1 in a mmorpg :p

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
so much bs ~~

caster has 1400-1500 hp with a good template, where tanks will get 2300-3000

mage hits for about 400 on 50% resist, add a perfect crit and they hit for 600 dmg once in a while.

tanks will hit a mage for anywhere between 200-1000 depending on spec, crits, offhand hits, etc. light tanks have sick abilities like charge and banelord interrupts (or flatout 60-70% dmg decrease, fair isnt it!!111) not even to mention the retarded interrupt code

but in the end, mages will do fine if they're good players, and so will tanks. its pretty balanced atm from my point of view - even tho casters have the edge at standoffs (no shit) and tanks have the edge in fg vs fg

Much hostility I sense in you :)

My posts were from my perspective as a Paladin, not a Merc or Armsman. I've never hit anyone for 1000 dmg im my life FFS - I wish! :)

I guess it may be different in Hib or Mid, but TBH I doubt I've ever had 50% resists. My gear is crap because I haven't the stuff in my ToA template yet, but even when it is, I doubt I'd achieve resists of that level in a PUG. So therefore, your 600 or so damage easily can become 1000.

I haven't got access to Banelord so that's out too.

I am not denying your argument regarding 'proper' damage dealing tank classes, but from the perspective of my class my argument is not BS ;)

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Kwidz said:
talking about 1v1 in a mmorpg :p

I know...silly me :(

Actually, I ran into PoC the other night right past a Ranger that had just entered. He shot me a couple of times with his bow, so we had a little fight and I won. I was very happy :)

I think good solo fights, even if I lose, keep me interested when weighted against all the times FGs roll me.

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Much hostility I sense in you :)

My posts were from my perspective as a Paladin, not a Merc or Armsman. I've never hit anyone for 1000 dmg im my life FFS - I wish! :)

I guess it may be different in Hib or Mid, but TBH I doubt I've ever had 50% resists. My gear is crap because I haven't the stuff in my ToA template yet, but even when it is, I doubt I'd achieve resists of that level in a PUG. So therefore, your 600 or so damage easily can become 1000.

I haven't got access to Banelord so that's out too.

I am not denying your argument regarding 'proper' damage dealing tank classes, but from the perspective of my class my argument is not BS ;)

it is bs, because you're wishing your class was another one. the solution lies in rolling a new character, not making a support char a heavy interrupter + damage dealer. it really doesn't work that way

my eld hits for 538 on 26% resist, thats with mom4 and aqui4 - 9% spell damage, 46+18 light, 26 intcap. it practically can't get an awful lot higher. max crit will be around 750-800, so even without 50% i won't hit 1k ;)

Elvo^Rylu

Fledgling Freddie
Also, cleric, druid and shamans can buff against magic attacks.

No such buffs for melee attacks :)

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
it is bs, because you're wishing your class was another one. the solution lies in rolling a new character, not making a support char a heavy interrupter + damage dealer. it really doesn't work that way

my eld hits for 538 on 26% resist, thats with mom4 and aqui4 - 9% spell damage, 46+18 light, 26 intcap. it practically can't get an awful lot higher. max crit will be around 750-800, so even without 50% i won't hit 1k ;)

To be honest, I don't wish my class was another one. I am fairly happy with my Paladin as he is. Remember, this was about reducing the damage done by magic, not my damage in melee which I know is crap!

I got hit by a bolt last night from a void eldy for 919 dmg...I remember that particularly because it hurt ;)

It'll be interesting to see how much better I survive in RVR with a proper suit and capped resists...

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Elvo^Rylu said:
Also, cleric, druid and shamans can buff against magic attacks.

No such buffs for melee attacks :)

Accepted mate ;)

Garbannoch

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
I have just been looking at the RA table over at Shadowedge Gamer. I am confused by the discrepancy between Physical Defence and Avoidance of magic. It seems to me that casters would spec PD to lessen melee and tanks would spec AoM to lessen magic...so why are the percentages returned not identical?

I accept that few people would choose to spec over Lvl 4 in either, but it still seems unbalanced to me.

because last time I checked my buffbot he got 24% slash/thrust/crush resist buffs :rolleyes:

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Garbannoch said:
because last time I checked my buffbot he got 24% slash/thrust/crush resist buffs :rolleyes:

Well that's fine if you have access to a BB - I don't and nor do many others :wanker:

Vodkafairy

Fledgling Freddie
void elds have cold bolts, and plate has a penalty for localized cold damage (legendaries and bolts) - if the eld has good equip and you have crap resists, AND he gets lucky crit, then 9xx isnt weird dmg

you probably didn't have all 3 (or 4?) af buffs up when the bolt landed either

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Vodkafairy said:
void elds have cold bolts, and plate has a penalty for localized cold damage (legendaries and bolts) - if the eld has good equip and you have crap resists, AND he gets lucky crit, then 9xx isnt weird dmg

you probably didn't have all 3 (or 4?) af buffs up when the bolt landed either

IIRC, I was solo at Beno Bridge at the time. I would have only had my own AF buff up. I can see what you're saying re: resists, just need to get the 50 odd Plat I need to finish my template so I can find out how much difference it makes ;)

Aeoric

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:

AoM = 6x resists
PD = 3x resists

Lireihuan

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
so why are the percentages returned not identical?

because there is magic resist buff , but no melee resist buff

Puppet

Part of the furniture
Danamyr said:
IIRC, I was solo at Beno Bridge at the time. I would have only had my own AF buff up. I can see what you're saying re: resists, just need to get the 50 odd Plat I need to finish my template so I can find out how much difference it makes ;)

On bolts alot; on regular nukes fuck all difference if you're solo.

Resistpiercing is totally screwed; instead of giving casters a bonus to damage when the target has resist-buffs it ALSO gives em ( a totally unnecessary!) bonus when the target has no resist-buffs.

The problem is not PD nor AoM; its really caster-damage gets no penalty for decreasing cast-speed (as opposed to swing-speed) and the resist-piercing + the other TOA-bonusses.

A TOA'ed paladin versus a high-RR TOA'ed light-eldritch like Vodkafairy? Outcome: Paladin might kill 2 of the 3 brittles.

And the damage can even be higher Vodkafairy: Add in 20% relics.

And in 1 vs 1 when the melee-class like the paladin finds his 4 first swings totally nihilated by brittleguards and bladeturn he might get a hit in on the 5th swing. However then the eldritch will use his RR5 RA to get another 1500 range and boom hes back in business :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom