Anyone using GeForce 7900GS graphics card?

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
256MB PCI-Express nVidia GeForce 7900GS

Anyone know how this performs with DAOC?

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I'm guessing not, aren't these the cards that were only released by Nvidia this week ?

Darzil

Chosen

Resident Freddy
They are awesome! My new computer got 2 x of them! :D

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
No personal experience with that card, but nvidia cards work well with DAOC (at least drivers seem more stable than ATI judging by many of the reports here), and its specs are well in excess of whats required. Tempted to buy one myself. As people say you *may* get better performance/cost with ATI.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
personally would got for a 7900GTX 512Mb if you have the money tbh

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
noaim said:
X1900XT is by far the best buy at the moment.

Recieves better benchmarks than the GF7900 GTX etc in some benchtests, all depends what you are playing. Lets be frank no one needs 1000fps to play Pacman, but compare benchmarks for something like oblivion and its not the best performer. Dont think its true to say its 'by far the best', its best in some cases mostly with older games.

Sound advice if you want to buy ATI though :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
noaim said:
I have tried both on the same rig, both single card setup.
HIS Ati Radeon 1900xtx 512mb
MSI Geforce 7900 Gtx 512mb

Noise: I found the Ati to be quieter when it was on silent (when it matters imo), i couldnt even hear the card over my case fans so i dont know why people claim it is horribly loud to be honest. The Nvidia quieter when its going full pelt. Tbh if you are looking for quietness i think you be better off with Ati.

Heat: Ati runs ALOT hotter than the Nvidia, the case temp rose by 1oC and the bad placement of the Chipset on a DFI Lan Party Ultra-D meant the temps would rocket up when the Ati was in (the card hangs over the top of the chipset).

Performance: Nvidia outperforms the Ati, both are running at stock and i got the following scores:
Nvidia: 3DMark06 = 6000
Ati: 3DMark06 = 5500
Edit: 3DMark06 is biased towards Nvidia, i should have really got some numbers from games but i forgot to note them down. Either way Nvidia came up on top

im not going to pretend to know anything about the ins-and outs, or what its like with 2 cards but above is what i found personally.
I also had endless ammounts of problems finding the right drivers for the Ati, where as Nvidia was simply plug and play for me.

but on a side note, despite my findings if the Ati ran at a descent quality on the game i currently play most i would have gone Ati every time simply because with a (correct me if im wrong) Ati you can use a older card with a newer one with the newer as the master card so your older one does the physics and the newer one does the rest. Nvidia on the other hand you will have to throw away/ebay the old card, meaning Ati gives you a certain level of future proofing.

The odd thing i did find was that the Nvidia either performed pathetically or simply fell over on older games such as Aliens versus Predator original, whereas the Ati gave me a increase in performance.

I really do wish Ati would get their drivers sorted because they make truely wonderful cards, i have been a loyal customer until my rescent build because i simply got so frustrated with finding the right drivers, which even in their omega form seriously reduce the performance of the cards.
I was speaking to a friend the other day, he writes codes for graphics cards for a living and was truely astounded at the ammount of bugs/errors there were in the newest catalyst release; to quote him "The drivers looked like they were a beta release, not a production version",
(altho the card i did get sent overheated alot but that wouldnt matter in short benchmarks/running games for breif periods to see if they worked).

All in all its a very close call, there was very little in between them but the way i see it, if you want higher performance for now buy a Nvidia, if you want to future proof then go with Ati :)
Also bear in mind i found the Ati to be £100+ cheaper than its Nvidia equivalent :p

Hope this post helps :)

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Completely agree with chronictanks post. Nice to hear from someone who has tried both themselves, and yeah I know exactly where your programmer friends comming from with drivers...

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
noaim said:

Totally spot on, the X1900XT 512mb is untouchable at the price. As for noise, buy the HSI model if you want low noise, it is a good 10db quieter than the reference card at high temps.

Saggy

Can't get enough of FH
How does X1900XT perform against 7950GX2? For ~350€ you can get 7900GX2 which is slightly slower than 7950GX2 and in the same price range with X1900XT.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Saggy said:
How does X1900XT perform against 7950GX2? For ~350€ you can get 7900GX2 which is slightly slower than 7950GX2 and in the same price range with X1900XT.
If you have a good monitor 7900 GTX and later rip apart the X1900XT in newer games as mentioned earlier in this thread
If your interested in a better card get a Nvidia, if your interested in better value for money get the ATi

If you are dead set on 7950GX2 vs X1900XT i would go with the Ati

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
If you have a good monitor 7900 GTX and later rip apart the X1900XT in newer games as mentioned earlier in this thread
If your interested in a better card get a Nvidia, if your interested in better value for money get the ATi

Care to link to a test where GTX "rips apart" X1900XT? The tests I read shows em very equal, with the X1900XT seeming to come out on top more often than not. The fact that it is also noticably cheaper doesnt make it a less good buy.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
I'm going for nVidia over ATi on my new box for one reason only, that historically ATi has been much more buggy for many people with Camelot than nVidia. Whilst the recent improvements may make this no longer an issue for ever, I'm not going to bet a couple of hundred quid on it.

Darzil

Chronictank

FH is my second home
noaim said:
Care to link to a test where GTX "rips apart" X1900XT? The tests I read shows em very equal, with the X1900XT seeming to come out on top more often than not. The fact that it is also noticably cheaper doesnt make it a less good buy.
pretty much anything you play on a widescreen or HDTV (which as i said earlier, if you have a good monitor), the fact you WILL have driver problems also is a big factor.
Please dont deny it as i have owned one, the fact i had to downgrade my drivers just to play games like daoc to name one, bug free. Searching these forums alone will bring up a dozen at least problems from ATi owners

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Chronictank said:

Crap, the gap is nothing like you have stated except in games where Nvidia has always had an edge because the game was coded on that platform.

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
pretty much anything you play on a widescreen or HDTV (which as i said earlier, if you have a good monitor), the fact you WILL have driver problems also is a big factor.
Please dont deny it as i have owned one, the fact i had to downgrade my drivers just to play games like daoc to name one, bug free. Searching these forums alone will bring up a dozen at least problems from ATi owners

Thats just bs, in fact when you start using AA etc the ATi is actually outperfoming the GTX with quite some margin. When you just up resolution, its very much 50/50. Can also mention that I know several people that has problems duallogging with latest Forceware drivers, you get gfx-glitches. Driverproblems has been as much an issue for Nvidia users as ATi. Bluescreens because of nv4_disp.dll etc.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
noaim said:
Thats just bs, in fact when you start using AA etc the ATi is actually outperfoming the GTX with quite some margin. When you just up resolution, its very much 50/50. Can also mention that I know several people that has problems duallogging with latest Forceware drivers, you get gfx-glitches. Driverproblems has been as much an issue for Nvidia users as ATi. Bluescreens because of nv4_disp.dll etc.
I personally have had no issues and saw better performance on my Nvidia than on my Ati on my hardware, i havent mentioned any benchmarks run by people, i havent given any stats from random.com running benchies.
With the ATi it took a week +Rightnow to resolve issues just to be able to play daoc
With the Nvidia it took a day
I am simply stating my experience with both cards

im not going to argue with you as i actually did my own testing on my own hardware which i intended to use showing which card is better for my setup, until you do the same with identical hardware to me you have no leg to stand on saying im wrong about the experiences of the card on my system which is all i shared

AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.6Ghz,CCBWE 0601 UPMW
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D Bios 06/23/2005 v6.00 PG
G.Skill 2GB DDR PC3200
MSI NX7900 GTX 512mb
WDRaptor 74GB
WDRaptor 150Gb
Seagate Barracuda 350GB
OCZ GameXStream 700w Silent SLI Ready ATX2 Power Supply
Windows XP Pro SP 2

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Mmmm and I been running X850XT PE and GeForce 6800GT -> 7900GT, and X1900XT on both my old system, Athlon X2 4200+, 2GB Corsair PC3200, Raptor etc, and my new (didnt use X850XT and 6800GT on this one) Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB Corsair PC6400 etc.

The issues with certain driverversions has been there with both brands, and if it took you a week + rightnow to solve it with the ATi-card, well then I guess you dont know wtf you are doing.

I can judge it from my own experience, and from countless of benchmarks out there, you choose, but the bottom line is that X1900XT is faster and cheaper and therefor a much better buy today.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
noaim said:
The issues with certain driverversions has been there with both brands, and if it took you a week + rightnow to solve it with the ATi-card, well then I guess you dont know wtf you are doing.
hardly, the issue was i was using the newest Ati drivers at the time
which daoc evidently did not like, unike yourself i didnt pluck a random version out the sky and expect it to work so i right now'd it.
Which took 6 days of casually fxing the issue as some of us work for a living as they went through the ropes finally resolving it with the driver issue which i tried on day 7
7 days = 1 week regardless of techincal competence
wow i must not know what im doing :rolleyes:

im done with this discussion as you have resulted in throwing insults so arent worth the time it takes to type a responce

noaim

Fledgling Freddie
Chronictank said:
hardly, the issue was i was using the newest Ati drivers at the time
which daoc evidently did not like, unike yourself i didnt pluck a random version out the sky and expect it to work so i right now'd it.
Which took 6 days of casually fxing the issue as some of us work for a living as they went through the ropes finally resolving it with the driver issue which i tried on day 7
7 days = 1 week regardless of techincal competence
wow i must not know what im doing :rolleyes:

im done with this discussion as you have resulted in throwing insults so arent worth the time it takes to type a responce

It doesnt take 1 week to figure out that it could be the driver, for someone who has any idea about what he is doing.

Ofc you are done with the discussion, you got proven wrong and you also showed that you are obviously pretty incompetent when it comes to that stuff. Stop recommending expensive stuff based on 1 bad experience with another brand, especially when that 1 bad experience could have been solved in 5 minutes, rather than 1 week.

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
So many people slagging off ATi for something that very few people experience. I have 7 or so ATi cards, all of them play daoc and they are of varying specification and generation. I've not once had a problem with daoc on an ATi card. Nor have I had a problem with the four nvidia cards I've had. People jump to conclusions on ATi having "Driver issues" too quickly.

Majority of ATi users experience no problems at all with drivers, only a minority experience problems. Same with Nvidia, same with anything.

People are too unfair on ATi due to a few select problems here and there.

With regards to the two arguing which is better, it's circumstantial and changes pretty much monthly as to who has the top card. For instance, ATi's X1950 XTX which retails at £320 is an amazing card for that price, better than the nvidia equivalent for that price. However before that Nvidias 7950 gx2 was obviously top dog.

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
Somewhat frustrated. I got a Pentium dual core 3.4 GHz, 2048 MB ram, and nVidea 7900 GS graphics card. Worked brilliantly for three days dual logged, then started getting lines across the graphics on DAOC, went through new drivers, new graphics card, and new motherboard and it progressed into total system failure. Sent it back, got another very similar spec, worked brilliantly for three days and started getting same symptoms. So thats going back.

Dunno if it was two things not talking to each other, or a duff batch of cards, or someone somewhere hates me. My Geforce 6800 always worked fine. My problem is I can't face a third attempt at a similar spec machine, and I can't really see something totally different that I want. I've developed a graphics card phobia.

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Conway said:
Somewhat frustrated. I got a Pentium dual core 3.4 GHz, 2048 MB ram, and nVidea 7900 GS graphics card. Worked brilliantly for three days dual logged, then started getting lines across the graphics on DAOC, went through new drivers, new graphics card, and new motherboard and it progressed into total system failure. Sent it back, got another very similar spec, worked brilliantly for three days and started getting same symptoms. So thats going back.

Dunno if it was two things not talking to each other, or a duff batch of cards, or someone somewhere hates me. My Geforce 6800 always worked fine. My problem is I can't face a third attempt at a similar spec machine, and I can't really see something totally different that I want. I've developed a graphics card phobia.

a few steps to try..

a). Download the latest all in one forceware drivers from nvidia.com

b). Check and install latest mobo drivers.

c). Remove all traces of all video card drivers. If you have used an ATI card previously then even consider a re-install of windows.

d). Re-install using the drivers you downloaded.

Basic stuff, but it does sound like a driver problem. Though ofc faulty memory, cabling, mobo, or monitor faults could cause horizontal lines. Are the lines corrupting the background in some way, or other artifacts, that would point towards drivers. If they are just full width horizontal lines then monitor/cable/memory is a bit more likely.

Conway

Fledgling Freddie
Boni said:
a few steps to try..

a). Download the latest all in one forceware drivers from nvidia.com

b). Check and install latest mobo drivers.

c). Remove all traces of all video card drivers. If you have used an ATI card previously then even consider a re-install of windows.

d). Re-install using the drivers you downloaded.

Basic stuff, but it does sound like a driver problem. Though ofc faulty memory, cabling, mobo, or monitor faults could cause horizontal lines. Are the lines corrupting the background in some way, or other artifacts, that would point towards drivers. If they are just full width horizontal lines then monitor/cable/memory is a bit more likely.

It was kind of weird graphics. Something like a branch or staff would extend as a line across the screen. You got more and more of these and they spread wider and blocked out whole areas. And walls would vanish and stuff.

Did try several drivers. It got worse, but I think that was just it progressively failing rather than the drivers getting worse. I naturally had to give up at the point where the hard disk crashed and the monitor wouldn't even self test so I went for a refund on the computer. Its quite possible there was more than one thing wrong with it, or whatever was wrong was damaging other components.

The bad thing from my point of view was it working fine for three days then starting to fail. Its much easier if something either works or doesn't to start with. Once it started it got worse rapidly. If it was just drivers I wouldn't expect to be able to play two accounts for several hours at a time for three days with no problems, and then start to have things go wrong. That seems more like a progressive hardware failure. It wasn't that things weren't working well when they got hot, because after it started going wrong, I could turn the computer on the next day and immediately had problems. I did get one error message out of it about the device driver being stuck in an infinite loop, which could have been either hardware or driver problem.

If anyone has had anything similar I'd be interested. I would like to know what was wrong, so I have an idea what to avoid on another system. At the moment, I'm really wary of another 7900 series graphics card which is rather limiting since I want to buy something with a decent graphics card. Other people must use those cards, so it seems more likely I got a bad one, or it didn't like the motherboard or the power supply, or the colour of the carpet, but after its happened with two computers in a row I'm depressed. There is of course the cynical view that since I know the second computer got delayed by a shortage of components, they used bits from the first one to make the second one. That would rather explain it having exactly the same problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom