Anyone use DOAx ?

P

- Pathfinder -

Which is why people don't announce it :)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by - Pathfinder -
If I were kemor I'd prolly object to you posting stuff from a private forum on a public one.

I am quite sure that Kemor has no problem with people being warned off doing things which would lead to a breach of the CoC...;)

P

- Pathfinder -

Probably not, but I for one wouldn't want someone referring to a closed forum :p I suppose I could go find a bug to abuse; if I got banned I'd have more time for NWN :)

J

Jupitus

Originally posted by - Pathfinder -
Probably not, but I for one wouldn't want someone referring to a closed forum :p I suppose I could go find a bug to abuse; if I got banned I'd have more time for NWN :)

Normally I wouldn't, but when talking about the CoC and GOA's stance I wanted to let people know the source, i.e it's not just my interpretation, it's GOA's policy;)

Still need to get NWN, but its gotta wait 'til payday :(

T

Trahg

Originally posted by old.job
I got the impression that barring any form of alt-tab helped prevent account hacking while you are online, someone trying to hack in and pinch your user id's would have a harder time, cos any access would cause the game to drop out, maybe this is just complete b@ll@cks, I just heard it.

Must be complete b@ll@cks :p
Can't find a logical reason why focus/displaymode that is purely client-side would have anything with hacking which is done trough network-communiaction.

F

fatgit

the alt-tab issue is an old & tired one that Mythic will not budge on.

Their stance that it discourages cheating is complete rubbish, the 3 main cheats I know of - 2 work by overlaying IN daoc fullscreen, the last (2 flavours of it) use a seperate linux pc.
No need to window/alt tab for any of them.

Not being able to alt-tab means that during 20min horserides, tedious crafting sessions, downtime, keep watch etc, you have a powerful multitasking pc doing sod all.

Don't know about the rest of you, I like to surf, irc, burn cd/dvd, email do other things on this nice expensive box, not just have it displaying a green bar 18/7.

As it happens, I have a 2nd PC here usually, but without the ability to alt-tab/window etc hardly ANY of the players I know would play daoc. If my 2nd PC is out of action, then yes, I WILL use a 3rd party app, it's that or cancel the account.

I believe daox is the easiest for them to possibly detect, whereas KeepAlive would be damned hard.

In the end, it's up to you if you want to risk using these apps, hell, evel tradeskill helper & alfie are considered illegal aps.

S

SFXman

I myself constantly surf (if anyone has noticed *cough*), also use IRC and my RL friends partially hang-out in ICQ/MSN... so multi-tasking is quite important and sitting in DAoC for hours is a bit boring... with nothing else to do.
Ultima Online they allowed UO assist... UO auto-map and others... windowed too... but then again people did begin cheating (I think).

N

nerys-wychhazel

Originally posted by SFXman
I myself constantly surf (if anyone has noticed *cough*), also use IRC and my RL friends partially hang-out in ICQ/MSN... so multi-tasking is quite important and sitting in DAoC for hours is a bit boring... with nothing else to do.
Ultima Online they allowed UO assist... UO auto-map and others... windowed too... but then again people did begin cheating (I think).

The amount of cheating/hacking in UO is/was staggering.

UOAssist was nothing more than an "approved" cheat programme, and basically set the climate where anything goes, and nothing ever got done about serious hackers that were even caught in the act.

That's what finished me with UO. Tolerating (= active encouragement) cheats just stuffs games totally.

C

cAScADe

Originally posted by old.windforce
i would like a prog to disable that :puke: windows key :rolleyes:
got me killed more then once.

Aye, i pressed the winkey loads.. especly when my fingers got all exited at the bunch of trolls wadling towards me and i wanted to type somthin like "Trolls ahead!!" but ended up more like

Trollz!"!1
Argrh!!
Help me pl[winkey]

LD... couldnt log in for about5mins... hey look.. cotswold...

=\

I did a quick search on google and found a proggy that kills the winkey.. i uploaded it to my webspace...

http://users.0800dial.com/cascade/Winkey Assasin.exe

Its dead easy to use.. double click!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

S

skerit XP

They can detect it? The makers of daox don't think so.
Also, daox is a program that opens a window and plays daoc in it, look at it that way, and so, nothing is hacked so nothing is illegal.
Now, why do they need that stupid alt-tab thingy crashing, dunno, prevent hacking? they detect a hack easily! And we all know that cheating with the risk of being banned isn't a nice idea, so nobody cheats.

But, when you alt-tab out camelot, and alt tab back in (if it survives it I mean) everything looks funky..

T

Thorarin

Can they detect it? They could, unless the program disables the detection routine as well of course ;)

Makes you wonder why they don't just remove the windowed=1 option altogether is they're against it..

Oh well, personally I've learned to live without alt-tab. Then again I have 3 PCs standing here.

T

Tiwaz

If Mythic can detect Daox and such programs?

Well, making a program detect what other programs (processes) is running, is really quite easy. And since you start a program created by Mythic (DAoC that is;) ), they can easily detect if DAoX is running. As if that was not enough DAoX requires you to edit in user.dat, which is just an ordinary .ini file. It would take no effort from Mythic, to check if any 'unauthorized' settings existed in that file.

IF Mythic WANT to hinder the use of DAoX, thats another matter:)

P

- Pathfinder -

Mythic left the command for windowed mode in place, which IMO was a very daft idea if they didn't want people to make a program such as DAoX. I'd think it's a leftover from the debug phase of the game development, but why they didn't remove it afterwards is beyond me.

T

Tiwaz

LOL

Another fine example of extensive testing;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom