Anyone use Chromebooks?

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Frankly Samsung's new octa-core Chromebook offering looks pretty damn sexy if you get 4 or more gigglebytes of the rams. It's got a frigging 13"1080p screen and is cheap as chips (~300 euros!).

I'm really a bit picky when it comes to CPU's and OSses. It's ChromeOS (duh) which means cloud for everything really, which means always online in whatever way is convenient. The CPU is of the ARM architecture persuasion, which means not x86 which means I'll need online IDE's or whatnot if I want to code....so am I the wrong kind of person for such a thing? I mean, I got a Surface Pro2 specifically to be able to write code against x86 and can run anything I want on it. That said I really dislike certain things about the Pro2 (although I love other things).

What is up with Chromebooks and should I get one?

Embattle

FH is my second home
Chromebook Pixel is certainly yummy but I'm not totally convinced yet and only the ones around the sub £300 price point make any sense at the moment due to limitations.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I think we can safely say that Google will own every letter you type and have a closer relationship with every contact you have than you.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
I guess it depends what kind of coding you're planning on.

If it's Web malarkey then you could always use something like the new editor github have just announced (looks like sublimetext 2, runs in browser), but there's nothing stopping you from installing Android, or better still Ubuntu or similar. In theory you could run Eclipse or whatever you want for your clever shenanigans.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
Oh and Google recently announced a deal with vmware so windows apps are an option soon, if not already.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Mate of mine's got a top of the line one (his kid did some work for google so they gave him one). He likes it, I think it's shit :)

Himse

FH is my second home
Mate of mine's got a top of the line one (his kid did some work for google so they gave him one). He likes it, I think it's shit :)

I don't think there's much you do like, apart from Liverpool and becoming the next Robin Hood :sneaky:

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Stick a distro that supports ARM on it.

TdC

and then do what?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I might or might not have also gone on a "where are they now?" voyage of discovery after seeing that video posted. I bought that single. :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Stick with the Surface Pro 2, its awesome. Love the docking station. Can pretty much leave my work laptop at the office when travelling now. Did a presentation at an airline with it last week, half the audience came to me after and wanted details of the tablet. They were all impressed with the speed at which it was switching between multiple apps on the fly.

TdC

I don't like how win8 handles the app area. Seamless integration...I think not! I've set it up so that it ignores metro and goes straight to the desktop :(

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Start8 ftw! I switch between but agree the normal old familiar desktop. How you liking the Pro 2? Was just playing Torchlight II during my lunch at work. Showed a couple of people Skyrim running on it, awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom