Anyone still being 'kicked to desktop' ?

T

Tjorn

I still have a pc that will not run daoc now without kicking out to desktop ! have tried all the usual driver updates, dx8.1 and 9, via4.45v, re-installs etc... waiting for a response from 'rightnow' atm.
Im interested to know who still has these problems and more importantly has any previous sufferer managed to figure out how to fix it ?

Im still getting the usual errorlog :

game caused an Access Violation in module D3D8.DLL at 001b:019bc007.
Exception handler called in main thread.
Error occurred at 2/22/2003 16:31:42.
C:\Games\Mythic\Shrouded Isles\game.dll, run by *****
1 processor(s), type 586.
384 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 33800019 caused an access violation.

O

old.Xanthian

Yup I get that running SI :(
Have to use classic cleint unless im needed really badly in SI.

A

Apathy

What is the max. load on your PSU? In Watts.

If it's under 300W, get a new one, at leas 350W.

a.

T

Tjorn

Originally posted by ApathyEndymion
What is the max. load on your PSU? In Watts.

If it's under 300W, get a new one, at leas 350W.

a.

its a 300w. But i get no problems with other games. Also i was under the impression that psu problems would more likely reboot the whole machine and not just ctd ?

A

Apathy

I used to have a 300w in this very machine and DAoC would just crash randomly. IE would do it too. This was after seriously upgrading the machine, though. Probably because of HD corruptions when installing things because of the PSU.

If you've not added any new hardward to the machine since installing SI, it's hard to say where the problem lies. But a new PSU is always fun to install.

a.

L

Lorthania

If the PSU is the problem, there is no guessing what might happen: crash to desktop, plain freeze, reboot... And even if this is the case, watts is not what you should be looking at. A 300W PSU can do a better job than a 350 PSU, it just depends on how your watts are distributed over the various voltage lines...

Although I don't think this is is probably not what's causing your problems, but if you are interested, check http://firingsquad.gamers.com/guides/power_supply/ for more info.

Now going by the error message you get (game caused an Access Violation in module D3D8.DLL), the problem is most likely linked to Direct3D. Unfortunately, you have done about everything you can, I can only suggest to decrease the hardware acceleration in the Control Panel. Failing that, you can only wait for DirectX 9.1 and hope that's the solution...

E

Envenom2

i get the problem but latley before i start daoc i close a few back ground programs particulary my AIT back ground programs and i dont crash anymore weird

T

Tjorn

Damn, this is bad, i checked over on the vnbaords and it looks like quite a few ppl over there have the same problem and it remains unresolved :(

Here is my right now response:

-------------------------
Hello,

To improve things you can try the following tests :

With you graphics card :
disable the antialiasing or anisotropic options
lower its frequency
if your graphics card is on the AGP port, modify its speed (modify to 4X,2x or 1X) to do so go into your BIOS

in the game itself
try different resolutions
lower the performance options in the configuration menu (water details, clipping, shadows...)

If any of these settings solve your problem, can you please update this issue so we can help people encoutering the same problem.
Regards,
---------------------

lol, pathetic aint it. Especially as i already stated in my initial email that i had already tried ALL those things.

The last thing i can think of to try is a complete rebuild, i'll be reformatting tonight, hope it works cos im out of ideas.

T

Tesla Monkor

I had massive problems with DAOC Classic client on my Radeon 9700Pro - it would just get stuck after a while, or drop to 1 frame per minute or so.. unplayable. Nothing I tried helped.. DX8, 8.1, 9, none of the driver upgrades helped. VIA 4-in-1 didn't help either.

Dropping AGP from 4x to 2x, and increasing the power to the AGP port with 0.2 did help a bit -- now it plays anything I throw at it fine (Hitman 2, Unreal 2, UT2K3, BF1942, SimCity 4), EXCEPT the old DAOC version.

However, installing SI -- it works great. SI runs smooth like warm butter. DAOC Classic crashes, and runs like crap.

Odd, isn't it? o_O

T

tbiird

i had this problem, but my fix was quite simple, cpu was overheating due to me knocking off the fan from the heatsink, doh. just thought id mention it :)

R

Ragnarok1978

Is the system overclocked? That could be your problem if you have parts that are overheating.

T

Tjorn

Originally posted by Ragnarok1978
Is the system overclocked? That could be your problem if you have parts that are overheating.

Im underclocked atm just to rule it out, but anyway overheating would affect many other games as well and everything else runs fine.

K

kinag

I got almost the same problem, i play SI on my computer and suddenly the computer shutdown and starts again...
It is extremely annoying, any one know how to fix it?

I have tried two different updates on my graphic card, and downloaded DirectX 9.. still no luck...

Im Running SI on this comp: AMD Duron 850mhz 512 SDRAM GeForce 4 TI4200 128DDRam

graphics is extremely nice and all and it runs smoother than original DAoC... but the only thing thats annoy me is the Reboot problem.. pls help me fix it :(

And the thing that is quite weird is that the computer only reboots when i play SI, all other games run sweet!

T

toughguy

I still have it ;/ had it before si and still now. Had probs with gf2 mx and kyro 4500 tv out. Kyro wont let me move in si.

T

toughguy

I still have it ;/ had it before si and still now. Had probs with gf2 mx and kyro 4500 tv out. Kyro wont let me move in si.

Users who are viewing this thread