PC Master Race Anyone running a full SSD setup?

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
As above - I'm tempted to switch out my secondary 1TB HD for a 1TB SSD.

Any down points?

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I have a 256 GB M.2 SSD for boot, a 1 TB 850 EVO and a 512 GB 840 EVO and it's all just lovely. The M.2 is snuggled up between the PCI-E slots and the 2.5" drives are stashed behind the motherboard tray. Nice and quick and zero drive noise.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I have no spinning rust in the house (except in a drawer) and all is fine.

/edit: forgot the Sky+ HD box. It is slow and annoying.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Any down points?
You lose a terabyte of free storage?

Why not just add an SSD and leave your 1Tb there for stuff you rarely use / access - picture backups or something...

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber

Why not just add an SSD and leave your 1Tb there for stuff you rarely use / access - picture backups or something...
Psh, that's what a NAS is for.

old.user4556

The whole point of switching the HD to SSD was because I hate the spinning up and subsequent mechanical noise of said drive. I'd prefer to have all SSD. This drive in particular is my photo storage and backup drive which syncs to cloud.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
wow you must have a *really* quiet PC or super acute hearing. my server has 4 WD Red's in it and I can only hear them when my nightly backups run.

old.user4556

Yeah it's very, very quiet. I have BeQuiet case fans / PSU with sound deadening panels / foam in the case. The HD is the loudest component.

old.user4556

Oh, and a Noctua heatpipe / fan CPU cooler. The exhaust fan on top of the case is also by Noctua with 2 x 120mm BeQuiet fans at the front drawing air in.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Yeah chum I understand your case will be super quiet. My own is more for maximizing airflow, which basically means that it's a metal cube with front/back/top like a sieve :)

I did swap my Corsair H100 out for a Noctua as I also have a Noctua in my server and that's near-silent. I'll have to look up which ones I'm using and let you know. Both CPU coolers perform really well tbh. That said, I do hear the Corsair case fans as well as my two 970's quite well. That's to be expected ofc given that there is practically nothing between me and the fans.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
One of the things I love about watercooling is the barely noticeable change in noise levels between when idle and everything going flat out (depending on how you set up your PWM profiles ofc). It goes from "practically silent" to "oh there's a tiny bit of fan noise". What I don't like about watercooling is the effect it has on the ambient temperature in my small office in the middle of summer. Yay because it's keeping all the components that much cooler but booo because it's just dumping the heat straight into the already-hot room. :(

Anastasia

Can't get enough of FH
I've been considering dipping my toe into water cooling (pun intended), but haven't taken the plunge (also intended) yet. When it comes to cooling graphics cards, are the cooling blocks engineered to fit a specific card? So if you upgrade your graphics you have to get a new block? Any recommendations on good quality parts for the job. I figure you really don't want to shop purely based on price when it comes to plumbing in your PC.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
I've been considering dipping my toe into water cooling (pun intended), but haven't taken the plunge (also intended) yet. When it comes to cooling graphics cards, are the cooling blocks engineered to fit a specific card? So if you upgrade your graphics you have to get a new block? Any recommendations on good quality parts for the job. I figure you really don't want to shop purely based on price when it comes to plumbing in your PC.
Typically a block is designed and built for a specific card but there do exist some "universal" blocks that will fit on a range of cards. I'd go with a bespoke block every time though. EK Waterblocks make pretty much everything that gets wet in my computer. They are based in Slovenia, make good looking, high quality parts and their support is excellent.

Start off with compression fittings (eg) and 10/13mm (inner/outer diameter) soft tubing and, as long as you do nice straight cuts and make sure the tube is well on the barbed bit of the fitting before you tighten the cover, you can't go wrong. You could also always look at the EK Predator range as well (or other AIO products from Corsair etc) if you just want to cool a graphics card and nothing else (although you can do GPU and CPU with the 360 I believe).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom