Competition Anyone played the Health Lottery yet?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
tell that to the couple who just won £101,000,000

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Tell that to the 130 million Euros who think they will win even more now .. even tho for Uk lotto is one in 14million odds of winning

Yup you might get lucky but its more llikely you will play you whole life and never get the jackpot

So tax on hope when ppl can afford other stuff and they still buy tickets just incase thier numbers come up..

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Depends how you look on it...a hope tax is a pretty cynical viewpoint

For me, a couple of quid a week is a bit of fun & aint gonna break the bank

- English -

Resident Freddy
my gf until recently bought lottery tickets until i put it into perspective for her.

She spends 100danish kr a week (£11.50), which is 2 games, wed and sat. She played the same numbers every week and always made sure they were put on (incase they came up that week). Times this by 52 and its 5200kr (£600) for the year.

I then give and take 1000 kr away, as she occasionly hit 3 numbers, and perhaps once in her life 4 numbers .. so lets say 4000kr. (£460)

btw 3 numbers pay somethng like 47kr (£5.50) back, and 4 numbers pay 100kr (think theres 7 numbers total).

so if she didnt hit the big jackpot, of 6 or 7 numbers she would be down 4000 kr a year. Times this by how many years .. 10, 20, 30 and your talking a big number.

Yes theres always 1 in 100 million chance of hitting the jackpot, but for some reason the danish pot is always shit .. something like 2mil kr on a wed, and perhaps 4-10mil kr on a sat.

So i said to her, lets say you were offered 40,000(£4637.93) kr in 10 years if you didnt play the lottery, or a very very small chance of winning 2,000,000 kr (which is £231.896.48)

So she now takes the money she would use and puts it in a jar.

I would persoanlly buy a euromillions ticket for fun when theres such a high rollover, though since Denmark isnt in the euromillions i cant.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
What you say makes perfect sense ofc...but you can do the same with anything you like, any habit

Put all the money you spent on booze in a jar, or cigarettes, or playing golf, or drugs, or horse-riding, or chocolate...none of them are essential. They're what? Nice, yeah? Fun?

Bah, don't take all the fun out of life. Its a short one. Might as well enjoy yourself.

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Depends how you look on it...a hope tax is a pretty cynical viewpoint

For me, a couple of quid a week is a bit of fun & aint gonna break the bank

QFT! whats the big deal? Don't like it, don't play. Don't pretend your in on some big secret and everyone else is a sucker.

For me, a couple of quid every couple of weeks isn't a huge amount of money, its a bit of fun to think what you would do with the money anyway.

Not played the health lottery yet, was tempted as the prizes for the 'easier to get' winners are bigger than lotto. Most I've ever got is 4 numbers, was around £60 quid, but 4 numbers on the health lotto is £500!
(pretty sure its the same amount of balls as well?)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
pikeh....are you early with your santa avatar...or not changed it from last December ? :)

pikeh

Resident Freddy
pikeh....are you early with your santa avatar...or not changed it from last December ? :)

It got to halfway through the year and then I just couldn't be arsed anymore...Not here much anyway nowadays!

:p

- English -

Resident Freddy
What you say makes perfect sense ofc...but you can do the same with anything you like, any habit

Put all the money you spent on booze in a jar, or cigarettes, or playing golf, or drugs, or horse-riding, or chocolate...none of them are essential. They're what? Nice, yeah? Fun?

Bah, don't take all the fun out of life. Its a short one. Might as well enjoy yourself.

Your right about the fun thing, though i do think £11.50 a week is a lot for the lottery ( its like £1 in england?), and thats the price of denmarks lottery tickets. Okay, it might not be much to some people here, or other danes since they earn so much, but for us 2 who are still educating ourselves with low incomes and no full time jobs, then any unncessary waste is useful.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yeah, £1 for normal lotto, £2 for Euromillions

Mey

Part of the furniture
Its 1euro for the rest of europe..

Con!

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
hmm so uk ppl put more in to it than the rest of you ..

you pay 2 euro we pay 2 pounds bloody cheek should be 1.80 or something hehe

pez

Can't get enough of FH
It is a tax on the poor like Moriath says.

Lottery tickets are one of those few items you buy more of the poorer you get (another item is cigarettes).

Same reason bookies are called the poor man's bank.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
We've got that in my store. Bloody complicated to set up on the terminal. Instead of a slip of paper you scan, or simply manually inputting the damn number, you have to swpie a card that has the numbers written on, manually input the numbers anyway and THEN once it's spat out the ticket, you have to scan it into the till!

Although it's only 5 numbers so the odds are shorter and the prizes are good for £1

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
It is a tax on the poor like Moriath says.

Lottery tickets are one of those few items you buy more of the poorer you get (another item is cigarettes).

Bollocks really. It's fun, it costs peanuts and no matter how rich i was, i'd probably put more into it just for added fun. Same goes with ciggies, being rich would only mean i would never run out.

The poor vs rich mindset is for people who couldn't cope going broke :p

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
If you don't play, you will never win

But i will still have my pound a week or whatever to spend on other stuff and maybe have something to show for it.

Astronomer Alan Harris has made that calculation. Allowing for the number of Earth-crossing asteroids — the kind that can hit us because their orbits around the Sun intersect ours — as well as how much damage they can do (which depends on their size), he calculated that any person’s lifetime odds of being killed by an asteroid impact are about 1 in 700,000

from Death by meteorite | Bad Astronomy | Discover Magazine

So you have a much greater probability of being struck and killed by a meteor than willing the lottery.

Just how silly is that

Also the return .. unless you win the a big jackpot is rubbish

Odds of a 3 number win are 57/1 but you only get 9/1 payout on it as you win a tenner

Odds of a 4 number is 1030/1 but you only get like 60 quid or something

So your return for risk isnt very good either

Better odds and reward for sticking your money on a roulette number imo

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Still, someone wins.

If you can afford the lottery and think it's fun, there's no reason not to play. the "you'll save cash by not doing it" falls flat on its face when you could save in everything you do.

Odds of winning are pointless, it's like an y scratch ticket, or playing hold 'em(well, skill does help there), or eating candy.

Eating candy is LESS useful then lottery as you will not win anything with candy.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
but candy provides calories and therefore helps you live so you gain by eating candy .. you only gain on the lottery very very rarely hehe

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Eating candy is prolonging life now? :D

Candy is so overpriced that it's a stupid tax on poor people to buy candy instead of bread.

megadave

I am a FH squatter
The Health Lottery is bollocks anyway, if you play the lottery at least do the National one.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Eating candy is prolonging life now? :D

Candy is so overpriced that it's a stupid tax on poor people to buy candy instead of bread.

stop mis quoting me .. i didnt say prolonging life in the sense that you do .. but if you were starving and ate a candy bar it would give you calories to live a little longer... not to say that eating just candy will make you live to 150 or anything :p

megadave

I am a FH squatter
Who doesn't love thinking about what they'd do with 100m though? That's the fun of the lottery :p

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Hands up all those who would rather sit on the grass and wait for a meteor to hit them.

OK, now hands up all those who would rather spend £1 for a chance of winning £100m?

Are you really going to miss that £1? What would you do with it? Spend it down the pub? Buy a Porsche?

If you don't play you'll never win, as Corknock says (and yes, 10 years down the line I still cant spell or pronounce his name).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom