Anyone know why I get these graphic glitches?

B

Biggilus

Couple of screenies to show what I'm on about...

All those pixels, it's weird got them in other games too, Planetside I remember to be one where they flickered about and were just annoying, no idea what causes them, I've changed graphics card, processor, monitor, since I got them in PS and still I'm getting them.

And then this one...

The big thin line you can see goign form the 'Main' part of the chat window to the top of the display, ones like that flicker instantly on and off and really bugs the hell outta me, but NOT noticed thi sin any other game.

So anyoen knwo if there's something I can fiddle with to stop these?

Laddey

FH is my second home
Mate, i'm running TOA and/or DR with a G Force 2 MX 800. Those graphic bugs are like a dream come true for me.

I'm not a genius but what i do (til end of month) is update drivers, latest DirectX. Don't know if increasing your graphics memory would help. :) Hope ya' get it sorted

confused

Can't get enough of FH
Looks like some artifacts, either your card is overheating, or it has done in the past and taken some damage...

say card spec / drivers /os etc

Artifacts are not repairable, thus you'd need a new gfx card

griralith

Fledgling Freddie
had this problem with my old gfx card.... got red dots all over and wierd errors. reason was that gfx card was semi old and unsupported (FX5200)... better drivers helped alittle but if card is unsupported u might as well get a new...

B

Biggilus

hmm yea i do alt tab a fair bit during loading screens to check the forums and have also noticed it progressively gets worse, ill stop alt tabbing maybe it is an issue. *may* be overheating woudlnt have thought so tho but ill drop the OC ive done a little.
the pixel problem occurred with my last graphics card/cpu/monitor setup aswell also on a different game, planetside. previously had a ti4200 (yes, i know :p) with an athlon 1600+, now ive got an athlon 2.5+thingy with a 9800xt, latest catalyst drivers. got this card off a mate ive known for years (for free, so yay :D) who had it overlocked to its max potential already... but also happened with my ti4200 which i didnt touch.
maybe the mobo or memory? only two major ocmponents i havent changed in years, an NF2 asus mobo and 2x512mb of generic ram. currently running winXP but pixel prob occured with win2k too.
and regarding the graphics glitch, the one with strecthed textures form 'Main' to the top of the display, well I remember this old chestnut when I started DAoC when the game was new, most predominantly in Yggdra forest, when I was running on winME (lol) with a 800mhz duron cpu and god knows what video card i had then!

anyhoo ill stop alt tabbing for now that may be the pixel prob sorted... and to the second poster, what do you mean the glitches are a dream come true?!

:)

Yeke

Fledgling Freddie
I'd drop all overclocks to start with and see if that helps if its 2nd hand and been overclocked al its life then it could be damaged ireparably if after dropping your oc you still get the same problem run atitool and test for artifacts.

if they indeed are artifacts and the first picture does look like them then you need a new gfx card im affraid :/

Ovron

One of Freddy's beloved
Well - can't say why it is like this, however, the line going from the chat box I'd say is caused by malfunctioning rendering by the drawlib/driver. Seems like some geometry-function has gone nuts; correct on the X-axis but messed up on the Y-axis.

You should have (MS) DirectX 9.0c installed - however, if your card does not support this by nature, anything can happen. I once tried running a Geforce Ti500 in a three year newer computer (compared to the card), and basically all I got was large, solid-coloured, basic geometry-shapes (point is? - DirectX is picky if the vidcard doesn't have native support).

Even though you don't get "Renderer creation failed" (or something) when DAoC initiates DirectX, doesn't mean it's all good.

I'd say try updating the installation of DirectX, if you don't have version 9.0c, then get it :). www.microsoft.com/directx - if for some reason you can't use their authentication system, search google for a directx 9.0c redist.

/Ovron

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
I'm having similar problems as of late, and I don't know what's causing them. Strange thing is, when I play Battlefield 1942 for instance I don't get them, but it's intolerable in daoc these days. Even stranger is that when I turn on fraps, they all dissappear! :eek7: And come back once I turn fraps off.

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
I've been thinking ( Gasp, shock ) If my/our cards were damaged, why don't these errors occur with other games? I'm going to try and reinstall my daoc-client, perhaps it's bugged or something.

B

Biggilus

lemme know how a reinstall goes Equador, i would give it a go but ive only bought the digital licences so woudl have to download gigs again :p
just checked and im up to date on DX9.0c too
and i do find it odd that the only other game i get this in is planetside, dawn of war was fine, eve online was fine.
its not so bad that its gonna force me to buy a new card, the pixel effect i can put up with but the geometry bugi find only happens in thidranki and the frontiers to an extent, i think, only times ive noticed it anyway, ill see what happens now :) also gonna see if not alt-tabbing delays/stops the build up of non-drawn pixels.
posting in a couple of hours, hold your breath!

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Graphic errors like this are caused by bad drivers (9 times out of 10).

Hardware faults and overclocking problems probably account for the last 10% but I wouldnt suspect them if your machine works fine with other applications and you havent been playing with temperature extremes.

Equador said:
I've been thinking ( Gasp, shock ) If my/our cards were damaged, why don't these errors occur with other games? I'm going to try and reinstall my daoc-client, perhaps it's bugged or something.

Games are so complex, that driver issues can manifest themselves in a number of ways depending on the code, your machine and a thousand other differet factors. As someone whos programmed direct X a lot and seen it do the strangest things nothing suprises me any more.

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
Well, reinstalling catacombs didn't work so I went all the way, reformatted my pc and reinstalled everything. Didn't work, and now I'm at a loss what to do :( I'll send in a rightnow with a couple of screenshots showing the glitch, maybe they'll know a solution.

B

Biggilus

totlaly at a loss, i got the pixel effect with my old (non-fiddled) card in planetside, and the strectehd textures with my very very old ti4200 4 years ago when the game was first released.

can only really narrow the pixel thing down to my mobo as thats teh only component tahts the same since i played planetside...
ah well :/

Jeros

Part of the furniture
griralith said:
had this problem with my old gfx card.... got red dots all over and wierd errors. reason was that gfx card was semi old and unsupported (FX5200)... better drivers helped alittle but if card is unsupported u might as well get a new...

I have that card but never had a problem really, suprising as it was fairly cheap, sparkle FX5200

Equador

Fledgling Freddie
Biggilus said:
totlaly at a loss, i got the pixel effect with my old (non-fiddled) card in planetside, and the strectehd textures with my very very old ti4200 4 years ago when the game was first released.

can only really narrow the pixel thing down to my mobo as thats teh only component tahts the same since i played planetside...
ah well :/

I share your pain my friend, I share your pain...I'm now ordering a new mobo and gfx-card, and if that won't work I'll simply erase parts of my brain until I don't care!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom