Anyone know anything about uPVC frames?

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
Got a real problem, mum is moving to a new flat in 4 weeks but her sofa is massive and the door to the new place is only 27inches wide so there is no way it will fit through. I have measured it all up and removing the uPVC frame will definately leave enough room but I have no idea how practical this is, if it needs the experts or something I could manage myself? Any advice would be most welcome.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Got a real problem, mum is moving to a new flat in 4 weeks but her sofa is massive and the door to the new place is only 27inches wide so there is no way it will fit through. I have measured it all up and removing the uPVC frame will definately leave enough room but I have no idea how practical this is, if it needs the experts or something I could manage myself? Any advice would be most welcome.
I wouldn't try it mate. I guess you could crack on and if it goes to shit you could get it done profesionally!

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Most double glazing comes out from the inside by simply prising out the trim
that holds in the glass, Start one corner with a screwdriver and work along with someone holding the glass till it's all free, a wooden mallet will bang it back in.

Dudley52

Part of the furniture
Most double glazing comes out from the inside by simply prising out the trim
that holds in the glass, Start one corner with a screwdriver and work along with someone holding the glass till it's all free, a wooden mallet will bang it back in.

I don't think he means just taking out the glass. On about removing the whole frame?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Ok, if you need to remove the whole frame, you really need to get someone who knows what they're doing......but you will need to de-glaze the frame, as any fixed panels, ie, ones that dont open, will have fixings within the rebate and you need to get the glass out to get to them

How old is the window, it might have the beads on the outside or the inside. If its externally beaded then there will be a black rubber gasket on the inside which needs to come out, that will loosen the beads. then with a flat pallet knife, pop the beads off, if its a big pane, then get someone to put their hand on the glass

If the beads are internel then the outside gasket doesn't come out, you just need a sharp pallet knife on the inside to pop the beads off

now sometimes externally beaded windows have an internal 'security tape' instead of a gaskett, basically its a double sided foam tape that sticks the glass unit to the frame, the beads will come off easily, but you will have to cut through the tape with a stanley knife, do this b4 you take the beads off though, as the glass will fall out otherwise

this is what i do for a job, so PM if you want to

Laddey

FH is my second home
Ok, if you need to remove the whole frame, you really need to get someone who knows what they're doing......but you will need to de-glaze the frame, as any fixed panels, ie, ones that dont open, will have fixings within the rebate and you need to get the glass out to get to them

How old is the window, it might have the beads on the outside or the inside. If its externally beaded then there will be a black rubber gasket on the inside which needs to come out, that will loosen the beads. then with a flat pallet knife, pop the beads off, if its a big pane, then get someone to put their hand on the glass

If the beads are internel then the outside gasket doesn't come out, you just need a sharp pallet knife on the inside to pop the beads off

now sometimes externally beaded windows have an internal 'security tape' instead of a gaskett, basically its a double sided foam tape that sticks the glass unit to the frame, the beads will come off easily, but you will have to cut through the tape with a stanley knife, do this b4 you take the beads off though, as the glass will fall out otherwise

this is what i do for a job, so PM if you want to
Edmond for PM.

Toggers

One of Freddy's beloved
finally something i have a bit of knowledge of! all i needed was someone to start a thread about upvc frames or a mysterious rash on the funzone and im there!

it is pretty much exactly as edmond said, there will be some plastic packers probably underneath/in the corners when you deglaze it and make sure you put them back where they were.

personally tho, i would ring up a little tinpot local glazing company, a one man band type and offer them the job to remove and refit, £100 for it would be more than enough, if you crack all the trims (unless the flats new it probably has trim round the internal and external which if you break will be a major pain in the a$$ to replace, also you can easily crack the frame,break the glass the opening sash especially if its hinged on the side can you give you problems when you reglaze it, locks might not align properly, sash could drop etc etc

its not rocket science if youre quite handy and careful you will probably be ok, if not dont give yourself the headache :clap:

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Our next door neighbour had it done for £60, so you can get glazers to do it quite cheaply. Phone around and haggle.

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I installed my own windows and doors last year. Removing them is easy. UPVC windows and dorrs are simply held in with four to six 6 inch screws. Honestly they are so easy to install and remove I was pretty shocked.

When it comes to reinstalling it, you may need a bit of self expanding foam, just incase the doorway isn't quite square. You screw the frame back in, making sure you don't stress it and then use the foam, cut ithe foam back once it is dry and then silicon all the way around, job done.

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
finally something i have a bit of knowledge of! all i needed was someone to start a thread about upvc frames or a mysterious rash on the funzone and im there!

it is pretty much exactly as edmond said, there will be some plastic packers probably underneath/in the corners when you deglaze it and make sure you put them back where they were.

personally tho, i would ring up a little tinpot local glazing company, a one man band type and offer them the job to remove and refit, £100 for it would be more than enough, if you crack all the trims (unless the flats new it probably has trim round the internal and external which if you break will be a major pain in the a$$ to replace, also you can easily crack the frame,break the glass the opening sash especially if its hinged on the side can you give you problems when you reglaze it, locks might not align properly, sash could drop etc etc

its not rocket science if youre quite handy and careful you will probably be ok, if not dont give yourself the headache :clap:

Thanks, it is a front door though, no glass just a solid uPVC door and frame. Does that make a difference?

megadave

I am a FH squatter
i dont believe you chodax. if your fat arse can fit through the door then so can any sofa :p

collegien

Can't get enough of FH
An extra bit of info into the pool.

It might be worth checking the sofa itself. I have been selling them for years and many will be designed so that you can unbolt the arms and then refix them when inside.

The way to check this would be to take the base cloth off ...it will be stapled normally or maybe zipped... and have a look around inside usually 2 - 3 bolts.

Also check the height of the sofa without the feet on as when on its side it may go through that gap anyway. I am sure you looked at this before but just incase.

If any of this is possible its lots easier and cheaper for you.

good luck :)

cHodAX

I am a FH squatter
An extra bit of info into the pool.

It might be worth checking the sofa itself. I have been selling them for years and many will be designed so that you can unbolt the arms and then refix them when inside.

The way to check this would be to take the base cloth off ...it will be stapled normally or maybe zipped... and have a look around inside usually 2 - 3 bolts.

Also check the height of the sofa without the feet on as when on its side it may go through that gap anyway. I am sure you looked at this before but just incase.

If any of this is possible its lots easier and cheaper for you.

good luck :)

Thanks bud, already measured minus the feet but I will defo look into the other stuff over the next few days. :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Edmond just out of interest, whats your job/trade?

I have my own window/glazing company, although my trade is stained glass/leaded windows

If its a front door and you are going to deglaze the panel, then as Toggers said, you need to make sure all the packers go back in where they came from or the door will not shut/lock properly

You need to pack the bottom hinged side and the top keep side, its called 'toe & heel' and it squares the door leaf up, the most important part of fitting a door is making sure evreything is level

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom