Anyone got unreal2 yet?

P

PR.

Tis a good game, it illustrates what some good programming can get out of current gfx cards, alot of the technology has never been used on mainstream games before. Good level design and architecture. 5.1 sound + atmospheric. An interesting storyline, but nothing special so far. In some parts it seems unreliable like, if you reloading your gun and it just so happens something else happens like a skaarj breaking through a window it can crash, but it always does it gracefully and gives the option to submit the problem to the developers

K

*Kornholio*

Hmmm... I've played a bit of it so far... not a bad game, no crashes (yet...), but nothing new either really.

S

Sar

Was anyone really expecting anything from this game?

I know I wasn't, other than some fancy gfx, but beyond that I expected it to be another generic shooter.

X

Xtro

After playing for 30 minutes I suddenly realised that I was bored beyond belief and preferred Unreal 1.

Back to the shop boo hiss!

N

nath

I just remembered: unreal 1 was pretty fucking dull too... it's just that the graphics/atmosphere were great. The locations were immense, and the set peices etc were very cool. But tbh, gameplay-wise, it was pretty dull.

No matter how much diamond dust you sprinkle on shit, it still stinks.

N

nath

Game.net ruel #51231231.221b mk2 NO WAREZ ON GAME NET FORUMS PLZZ!! ADMIN BAN NOW PLZ THX.

D

disarr3y

All i can say about this game is one thing:

Its the best game i have played since halflife, great story, great gfx, and gameplay that has never been seen in any single player game before.

But the fun only really starts after the first few levels, for instance the levels where you get to place cannons /force fields , and defend are vfun, i would be suprised if anyone played the game to atleast half way and still thought it sucked....

P

PR.

I completed it after I made my last post, and it only made me like it even more, I won't spoil it for you but there is a surprise at the end and you expect it to be ok but it isn't :(

Theres a nice bit were your running down a corrider for an escape pod and the gravity and inertial dampeners go offline and the whole ship lists to oneside, making the map fantastic :)

I would argue that in BW review that a P3 866 is a normal machine. I had P3 800 three years ago and it wasn't 'uber' then. I prefer my games to push the graphics boundrys than ponder to the gamer who bought a gaming rig 3 years ago and still wants to play the latest games.

9/10 - Needed better storyline in the middle of the game as it lacked

S

Sawtooth

So what spec will run it as it should be seen?

P

PR.

Hmm, well I was running it with a P4 1.9Ghz, 512mb RDRAM, SB Audigy, Geforce 4 4600 128mb,

I had full detail set in the game with 1024x768@75hz I also had 2x2 FSAA and Texture Sharpening enabled in the nVidia drivers

I never had any major slow down although when things got very hectic it did drop down quite a bit, could probably be solved by reducing model detail

G

granny

Crap game, uninstalled it about and hour after installing it. Pretty graphics, too pretty - excessively busy, way too many effects & flashy stuff to actually see wtf's going on half the time. Tedious gameplay, been there, done that, yawn.

Originally posted by nath
No matter how much diamond dust you sprinkle on shit, it still stinks.

Spot on tbh.

W

Will

I found the first level pretty dull, but after that, it livened up a bit. I'm pretty impressed, its not often a single player game can hold my attention long enough that I get beyond the first coffee break.

C

.cage

Originally posted by disarr3y
All i can say about this game is one thing:

Its the best game i have played since halflife, great story, great gfx, and gameplay that has never been seen in any single player game before.

But the fun only really starts after the first few levels, for instance the levels where you get to place cannons /force fields , and defend are vfun, i would be suprised if anyone played the game to atleast half way and still thought it sucked....

go play some final fantasy

S

Shocko

Originally posted by PR.
9/10 - Needed better storyline in the middle of the game as it lacked
You're not one of those fools who belongs to the PC Mag school of thought, when it comes to rating things?

Let me introduce you to how the 1-10 scale should actually work:
1 - Utterly shit.
3 - Pretty poor.
5 - Average.
7 - A really good game.
10 - Best game ever. Not a single flaw. Perfect.

As you can see, you've rated the game as "One of the best games of all time, brilliant in almost every aspect", etc etc. I don't give a toss about the game, and i've not played it and nor do i intend to, but clearly it isn't that good. From what you and others have said, it would seem to fall somewhere inbetween 4 and 7, inclusive.

P

PR.

Erm, no. I haven't read a PC games mag in 4 years

I rated the game by playing it completing it and then conjuring up a score out of 10.

My idea a game that scores 10 is a game you enjoy, a game scoring 1 is a game you hate, then you can pick in between.

Seeing as you haven't played it you really can't comment on how good/bad it is.

In review, your post scores 2/10 - Would have been 1 but the fact your not physically present is a redeeming feature :rolleyes:

S

Scooba Da Bass

He does have a point though, 10/10 should be the best game EVAH, and 9/10 is pretty damn close to the best game EVAH.

Blah, reviewers need to learn about percentages, or just get rid of numerical scores totally.

X

xpok

What would everyone's opinion be on good games then? Hows halflife for single player and quake3 for multiplayer. Quake 3 r0x :D

S

Scooba Da Bass

On a sliding scale, I'd rate Quake 3 an avacado, and Half Life probably a melon.

Bf42 scores a potato.

S

Sawtooth

Well I bought it and I reckon Im half way through now. Graphics are very good but some of the visuals get a bit cluttered in a fire fight. The AI is really mediocre so far with NCPs just coming at you, sometimes from unusual locations. Level design is a bit old hat and storey wise a pale reflection of the half-life experience, but saying that, still something that draws you in to play more (apart from the visuals). Feels a lot like Halo to me without the vehicles. The business of looking for alien artefacts (a weapon) etc. I get the feeling I'm going to finish it feeling it was over too soon (Max Pane anyone?)

K

*Kornholio*

Originally posted by Sawtooth
Feels a lot like Halo to me without the vehicles.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking...

S

Shocko

Originally posted by PR.
My idea a game that scores 10 is a game you enjoy, a game scoring 1 is a game you hate, then you can pick in between.

Seeing as you haven't played it you really can't comment on how good/bad it is.
I wasn't commenting on how good or bad it was, i was merely pointing out that you had your rating totally and utterly WRONG.

The 1-10 scale is stupid enough as it is, for games, since there are 5 different levels of crapness. Maybe if you're rating something where there's a reason to buy a crap product(price), then it might be useful to know just how crap things are. But with games, if it's crap, you don't buy it. It doesn't matter if it's the worst game ever made, or if it's just a bit smelly... Either way, you're not gonna buy it. So for games mags(and you :p), to raise the scale, so that anything below 7/10 is crap, just doesn't make sense.

Oh, and percentages were even more crap :eek: All the fucking games mags had a system, where anything scoring under 70% was considered crap not worth playing... And then they'd give one game 96%, and another 97%, and say that one game was better than the other, from these scores... Rating games isn't a fucking science. Why can't they just do away with numerical ratings alltogether, and just say how good/bad the game is? :rolleyes:

W

Will

Because it doesn't get them advertising space on the back of the boxes.

Unreal 2, my final opinion. Good game, good fun, way too short for the price, time for a trade-in.

N

nath

Cos people often don't read the reviews, they look at the pretty pictures and look at the big/small number at the end.

T

Testin da Cable

Originally posted by Scooba Da Bass
On a sliding scale, I'd rate Quake 3 an avacado, and Half Life probably a melon.

Bf42 scores a potato.

scooba = win

B

bodhi

I want Unreal 2 but I doubt my 1st Genration Radeon can cope with it. Time for a 9700 methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread