Anyone got a Slingbox?

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I'm thinking of getting a Slingbox and I just wondered if anyone had used one and what their thoughts were? I'm not actually interested in it for personal use; my Ma lives in Cyprus and can't get all British TV via satellite, so I figured she could watch stuff via my home PVR. Cyprus DSL isn't wonderful (1MB) but should be adequate. Thoughts?

ford prefect

Can't get enough of FH
I'm thinking of getting a Slingbox and I just wondered if anyone had used one and what their thoughts were? I'm not actually interested in it for personal use; my Ma lives in Cyprus and can't get all British TV via satellite, so I figured she could watch stuff via my home PVR. Cyprus DSL isn't wonderful (1MB) but should be adequate. Thoughts?

I had an early model that had an annyoing tendancy to hang or crash, and it wouldn't reset unless you did it manually which kind of defeated the whole point (possibly due to poor DSL at home).

My father-in-law bought one in the summer though, and he swears by it when travelling, he's on 8mbit cable at home though, don't know if that makes a big difference.

Malecheon

Fledgling Freddie
I borrowed one to try for a week or so recently and found it to be ok. The picture quality was ok, and it seemed to be able to cope with the network stream well enough.

There are a couple of different versions now, think we tried the slingbox classic, but the one we had struggled to work with the V+ box we have from Virgin media. It will depend on your setup and the PVR, but you can (at least you could on this version) only watch the same channel/source that is being viewed on the tv at the time; i.e. if you change channel on the slingbox, people at home get the channel changed as well, you both have to be watching the same thing.

That might be ok for you, depending on how your PVR is linked into the rest of your setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom