Anyone else here using phpBB? Had success?

O

old.Veneficus

Has anyone here used phpBB successfully on their sites? If yes, it would be great if you could tell me how you set it up. I use freesql, which is quite slow, but I am thinking seriosly of getting a paying database provider.

Any help would be appreciated! thanks!

O

old.©h®°n°

I use Ikonboard instead, it looks more cleaner and user friendly :D

Also, some good priced hosting is available @ www.qwerf.com

J

Jasio

heres what i say: Ikonboard blows.

I use phpBB on BW and it roxors. Loads pages in seconds, is VERY easily modified to look like ANY other board. You can make phpBB look like the BW Forums which are vBulletin. Anywayz.. if you want to see a working copy which I use for my tribe go here: http://www.soldiersofdestiny.barrysworld.net/forums

The forums might be down or look weird sometimes because im modifiying them all the time :)

O

old.©h®°n°

i dunno why but all phpBB boards i have seen have this unfinished look to them
I see that yours are not finished but even completed and operational ones have the unfinished tacky look.
Ikonboard is clean and looks professional.
Its like comparing Paint to Photoshop :D

J

Jasio

Well its cause I have the template look on mine... which is tacky. Take a look at www.unreal2forums.com and feast your eyes on some real nice looking phpBB boards.

J

Jasio

Embattle, you are a genius. :D You hit the sweet spot :D

M

MYstIC G

Originally posted by ©h®°n°
phpBB sucks.

Ikonboard rocks...
but Ikonboard isn't supported on barrysworld hosting as there are no CGI-BIN's anymore so just shut up about it, Ikonboard blows on barrysworld cos it wont run.

J

Jasio

Mystic G... you are now my HERO!

/runs over to Mystic G and asks for his autograph :D

S

suj

so like erm......

like ermm, where the hell do i get this phpBB from? looks good, the #allnighters chan on bw uses it too. looks flash...

O

old.LeitMotif

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7885

tbh most of the BB solutions out nowadays are becoming increasingly bloated, although phpBB is pretty customisable its performance leaves alot to be desired but you can take features from the templates.

phpBB2 is Release Candidate 2, which means its not really ready for the prime time.

S

suj

erm

english please :D

and how the hell do i install it? where's the readme.txt or openmefirst.txt or howtoinstallme.txt ?

O

old.LeitMotif

depends which database you want to use, look in the compressed file an read the install_rc2, faq_rc2, readme_rc2

run the install.php script ?

;)

S

suj

canm you not jstu tell me one and tell me how ?

i don't have all day unfortnatly

J

Jasio

You cant run it on BW anymore, there was a MySQL Trial and that ended. So databases are unavailabe at BW. FreeSQL is also down because of money problems. Basically you cant run phpBB on most sites unless you run your own server. I managed to get MySQL activated and I run phpBB 2 RC-2 version. For a look visit www.soldiersofdestiny.barrysworld.net and select forums. So basically you cant install it on BW.

M

MC Hammer

It wouldn't be wise to try and run a forum on freesql.org, I found it painfully slow.

M

MYstIC G

all we've gained from the above posts

phpBB is l33t (cos MYstIC G uses it)
#allnighter is l33t (cos MYstIC G uses it)
DBs is l33t (cos he let me in the mySQL trial)

;)

Seriously though, while phpBB2 is great its still not anywhere near totally complete, its just craploads better than all the alternative free php/mySQL forums out there.

It will run on BW but you'll need to be a part of the mySQL trial or have a database hosted elsewhere. You download the latest CVS to get it as the RC flavours are out of date in a matter of days (i'm not explaining how to do this, browse the phpBB2 preview forums for more info). Oh & freeSQL wont host this kinda script anymore due to over stressing itself with traffic (shame really).

R

raw.

Ive been using this. A modded version of php 1.4 looks very nice, however im also looking at phpbb 2 as it looks very very nice for a free board.

J

Jasio

Very spiffy RAW... great board design and layout. Im runnin phpBB 2.0 RC-2 but no mods in yet, other then playin around with the colors but TAKE A DAMN GOOD LOOK at the phpBB 2.0 admin panel, its amazing. phpBB 1.4 and whatever else sucks in terms of customizations compared to phpBB 2 and its SUPER admin panel!!!

:clap: G0 :clap: pHpBb II :clap:

T

Tempy_Incursion

What's so good about the admin panel compared to other boards? (never used admin on a phpBB 2 board :( )

J

Jasio

well the admin panel has been completely remade, its 100x more powerful, looks better and is just plain awesome.

enuff said. its cool thats it.

M

MYstIC G

phpBB2's admin panel is piss easy to use thats what

O

old.cheaten

*Giggles*
Now thats tacky :p

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not query config information

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1146 Table 'soldiersofdestiny.phpbb_config' doesn't exist

SELECT * FROM phpbb_config

Line : 164
File : /websites/hosted/soldiersofdestiny/forums/common.php

J

Jasio

what do you mean?

I just use Barrysworld with their SQL backend. I connect using PHPMyAdmin and thats all.

S

suj

WHAHWT?!!?

WHICH MYSQL BARRYSWORLD BACKEND?! I WANT MYSQL ON BW! TELL ME HOW!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom