any1 here play bass?

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
im after a new bass not sure what to get and if to get a 5 string or not. advice please :>

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
I don't play bass personally, but a friend of mine is damn nifty on his and got a nice Ibanez 5 String and said its definately worth the extra money.

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
I've been playing the bass for a good ten years or so - If you're just starting, it's generally a good idea to get a four string. You can get starters packages for £150 or so, including a bass, a wee amp etc.

Most metal/rock/whatever stuff is done on four strings, so if you're doing mostly covers, that's all you'll really need.

However, if you're in a band, doing original stuff, sometimes you can feel like you don't have enough range - then it's time to get a five, six, or maybe even seven string.

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
5 string basses are for frustrated guitarists.

Anyway, what's your price range?

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
can probly go up to bout 400£ and that ibanez 5 string looks pretty cool :> i been playin for bout a year and a half now. startin a band to :p

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Scooba da Bass said:
5 string basses are for frustrated guitarists.

Err... No. Would you be one of the people who considers the bass an 'easier' instrument, as well?

The added frequency range of a five or six string bass is well worth the premium - If you're going to use the extra strings, that is. I had a six string Warwick Corvette a few years ago, but ended up selling it because I found it a bit of overkill. Just use what you need ;)

stubbyrulz

Fledgling Freddie
so 5 string worth getting then? not that sure bout it atm

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
The best advice would be to go down to a music shop and try out as many basses as you can - that's the only surefire way to get something you like.

An instrument is personal thing - What is a gift from God to one person may feel like a lump of horse dung to another.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Personally I learned to play on a 4 string (yamaha bb1200). Recently I bought a 5 string yamaha RBX765a last year and I'm loving it so far.

In terms of beginners I'd stick with a 4 string. There is emough to learn on a 4 and you probably won't get any benefit from a 5 string so the extra cost probably isn't worth it.

Personally I'm a big fan of yamaha basses (does it show?) and I'd reccomend them for beginners.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom