Any other(old schoolzzz) purist players around?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Now, what's a purist? Like a purey pure. I like to play one. Especially did in diablo(boo hiss yeah i know...i liked it!)

No powerlevelling.

No items other then that you found/bought yourself with money you looted/sold for yourself.

When in groups and it comes to looting, what auto-share gives you, is yours. No taking/getting items from others.

LEarn it by the game, in other words, no websites, no guides, nothing the game doesn't give.

Ofcourse, no cheats and such.

Interested in the peoples views, interests and such.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
doing it this way on my vamp, lvl 19 so far :) if you do the insta dungeons you can get pretty good low lvl stuff from the Aurulite

though i will be making myself a crafted set for bg1

eSo

Can't get enough of FH
i consider myself in that category, maybe few exceptions, but still. deffo.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I would consider myself a purist although with daoc some of the quests are like finding a needle in a haystack... e.g. go find Rory in the Bog of Cullen... I mean it's a big place?!

So I use guides when I get really stuck

Takhasis

Can't get enough of FH
Suppose i consider myself that (mostly)

Solo'd to 50 (apart from 1 level in Malmo [shudder]) without a BB

THEN i got a BB and level'd it to 50 using hunter.

Had some help fro guild gettin ML and arti's (obviously) ;)

Peeps have it too easy now with PL ;) imo should learn the hard way how to play teh char...

haarewin

Fledgling Freddie
played my vamp on us to 50 that way, and it was kinda fun.
dunno if i'll stick the same with bainshee here.

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
my warden was duo'd to 40 (with my wife's VW) i solo'd my first eld to 40 (no buffs no nothin void etc) warden then grouped (remember that?) to 50

my chanter i kinda mostly solo'd but i used my wifes bard after 40 to help.

druid: well..yeah..didnt solo that one 0o

my NS is now 43, and solo'd 40% with bot, 50% without bot and 10% duo with NS/ranger friends.

i consider myself quite a purist...though after lvl 40 eld, i did ofc use the websites to get info on quests cos lets face it, before cata...figuring em out was just stoopid hard.

Awarkle

Fledgling Freddie
i dunno about the auto split thing because somtimes stuff drops that would benefit other people in the group more, although /random 100 normally solves disputes crafted armour and spellcrafting helps a lot more at lower levels but obviously costs :)

I wouldnt say im a purist but i try and stay away from powerleveling unless im ubah bored ;)

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
My first alt was levelled in that exact way as is my latest project...

Although I'd consider the current one to be more so as I'm figuring out how to do the epic with out asking guildies for help (as no one else in guild has experience with the heretic epics yet)

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
ive always done it that way, never been power leveld once. Never bought money, never transferred money.

Reopening my account tonight when i get catacombs, right looking forward too it!

Flimgoblin

It's my birthday today!
Dakkath said:
My first alt was levelled in that exact way as is my latest project...

Although I'd consider the current one to be more so as I'm figuring out how to do the epic with out asking guildies for help (as no one else in guild has experience with the heretic epics yet)

heretic epics = reaver/merc/infil/cabalist/necro epics.

Zenythe

[GOA] English Servers GM
Personally I try to do this with all my characters to a point, yes I will spellcraft their armour once they get to a decent level but all my characters who have gone above level 30 have started at level 1 and been played through...

I think the hardest part for me though was when I started playing on the US servers as well as the Euro as I had NO provider characters for anything and it really made me remember how hard it can be to find armour and stuff at middle levels...

Dakkath

Can't get enough of FH
Flimgoblin said:
heretic epics = reaver/merc/infil/cabalist/necro epics.

Ok, it's hard to say I figured it all out by myself when someone gives the game away (Ok, I have a 50 reaver and already know how to do those but still)

Guess I'm eliminated from the running as an oldskool player <sulk>

Sharma

Can't get enough of FH
Raven said:
doing it this way on my vamp, lvl 19 so far :) if you do the insta dungeons you can get pretty good low lvl stuff from the Aurulite

though i will be making myself a crafted set for bg1

Doing same here, btw whats your vamps name? I wanna slap you ingame. :p

Leathas

Fledgling Freddie
thats what I am currently doing on my warden,playing totally purist(not even BB).And I played as a purist on ultima online(atlantic,until they screwed with that paladin stuff expansion)

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Playing purist with a Vampiir is easy since they don't need a buffbot (in fact, they can't use attribute buffs!) as well as provide their own mana, endurance and health. :)

Void959

Fledgling Freddie
I consider myself a relative purist (does that make sense?...hmm) but I doubt most people, including myself would satisfy ALL your conditions.

Personally I've never PLed at all, except for my BB. I do transfer gold to get a /level charcter started, ofc I wouldn't even consider buying cash for real money though. I try to do all quests w/o using guides, though theres a couple of times I've had to, both due to bugs.

However I don't even consider rolling a new toon without thoroughly checking out the character builder first, and I think almost everybody who wants a serious toon without going FOTM cookie-cutter spec would do the same.

Thegreatest

Fledgling Freddie
I did lvl my first 50, my armsman, that way. Most of the lvling done with a friend of mine who was playing an armsman too. The other part was just in groups in barrows and SI dungeon. No sc, no bot, no guides etc. Thats why it took me over 1 year to get to 50 :p

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
hmmm im definatly NOT, tho i didnt have a BB for ages, my first SB, hairnetwonder was lvled without buffs etc to lvl 39/40 then i gave the account away and made DS, xped alot in grps, got a bot after a while then PLed a few lvls in modern etc etc...

however if i come back 2 daoc with a vampiir ill b lvling the old way with no buffs etc etc - simply becuase it will b a whole new account and on hib so i dont have a bot or a old account. ive been told its a good solo class so :D my only problem is getting decent items 2 xp with <Shrug> hopefully ill find some nice stuff in catacombs...

this is if i come back tho :)

Yshynsin

Fledgling Freddie
I agree with most of this,

My vampiir, i have gone 1-40 so far no pl, only instancing and one focus CM grp for a few hrs.

For equipment i have used a LGM talor to make the armour and payed him back with money i have earned.

i made about 400g in instances today, going 38-40 and am now transfering a bit of cash from albion for a 40-50 Exping set.

I think that this way i have learned my charecter and have created my own 'unique playing style' for my vamp.

Glacier

Fledgling Freddie
Champ and Ranger was done old-school way.
rest, i couldnt be arsed.. going throug all the crap again :) Daoc is a game of RvR, not of PvE, if you ask me, it should be even faster getting to 50 than it is now, cause that is when the game starts.
Spending days, weeks, maybe even months, getting together your ToA items, before you can finally step out, and enjoy the game for what its worth :)

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Warrior - my first character. Soloed some, grouped alot (these were the good old days when random 8 man expgroups where still common and exc had 3000 people online on primetime). From level 43 i was in Malmohus and in those expgroups there (did 44-47 in one sitting that lasted over 30 hours because i had never had such good exp :) ). When i started the character fatbelly gave me 200g to get me going and i made my first plat at level 48 i think. At 50 i used my epic armour for 4 months while i skilled armourcrafting (and tailoring on another char) to make my own set of armour (was very important for some reason hehe).

Healer - was augspecced at first so i actually soloed it alot at lower levels but you could still get groups easily at this time so exped it in groups from level 20 or so (was pre /level). At level 45+ or so i got help from some 50 guildies to get the rest of the exp since i got tired of random expgrps at that level (no pl as such tho, mostly grouped with them when they farmed df etc, although Aneline did run around spindelhalla with me some :) ).

Shadowblade - I had a buffbot when i started exping SB, thank God, since by now it had become rather hard to get expgroups, expecially for stealthers. Did almost all exp solo with bot, but started ML's at level 46 and got some exp from that.

Thane - Mostly solo with bot. Some grouping, but usually had bot with me then so everyone could benefit from it. Did 2 levels in modernagrav plgroup but decided that it was just so damn wrong for the game that i would rather exp slower and give others a chanse to group with me and get help from my bot. Thats the way i use the bot, to help not only myself but others as well, i.e. if i see someone exping near me without bot i will buff them, and if someone that is of appropriate level asks for group i will group with them at least for a while. Its more fun than soloing anyway , even if it usually takes alil more time.

Valkyrie - well dunno if it will get to 50, but so far its been a lonely road. Exped in Cata areas to 18 and didnt get to group once so activated bot again and exped to 23 outside cata and went bg, where i dinged 24 and 25 in pvp. Ill likely make it a mix of cata solo/grp exp and botexp if i decide to take it to 50.

Belomar

Part of the furniture
Ctuchik said:
ur to high lvl for bg1 tho.... thats like, lvl 1-4... :fluffle:
Score one for j00! :rolleyes: The rest of the world (and probably you) understood what he meant, though?

Ctuchik

FH is my second home
Belomar said:
Score one for j00! :rolleyes: The rest of the world (and probably you) understood what he meant, though?

yes i know what he meant. but thid havent been bg1 for about a year and a half now...

Formash

Fledgling Freddie
old.Tohtori said:
Now, what's a purist? Like a purey pure. I like to play one. Especially did in diablo(boo hiss yeah i know...i liked it!)

No powerlevelling.

No items other then that you found/bought yourself with money you looted/sold for yourself.

When in groups and it comes to looting, what auto-share gives you, is yours. No taking/getting items from others.

LEarn it by the game, in other words, no websites, no guides, nothing the game doesn't give.

Ofcourse, no cheats and such.

Interested in the peoples views, interests and such.

Thats more or less how ive been playing the heretic. I've been using my mincer to get the heretic from a to b quickly - but as for tems n such, ive only got what i rembered from classic quests at early levels, the 7, 11 and 15 epics so far (Currently 19), and the few silver i gained from the task dungeons.

On the flip side i have had to craft a flex weapon with a different toon for the heretic and had someone make some armour, just so i wouldn't die in 2 or 3 hits ;)

SO i spose its a combination of old skool and modern skool, but not up to date skool

[SS]Gamblor

Fledgling Freddie
Well with my friar i lvl'd alot solo, this was all pre SI, the only itam i ever got given to me is when i was solo'ing up in vigis in barrows, trying to get the Craceling ebony sunder as i wanted a glowy staff, the friar that rezzed me gave me one free =). other than that it was solo most of the way. I hated waiting around for tree grps so i mostly Solo'd in the Druid room in barrows, DS and out in the frontier.

My necro i solo'd most of the way, the odd time i'd grp with someone ( usualy a guild) but they where always lower than me, so i was just giving a hand =).

Scout, well could never get a decent grp for him , he's still not 50 ( 49 now as of last night) he's been a side project these last 2.5 years.

I like lvl'ing up, the old fashioned way, picking stuff up as i go. i can still remember the awe i felt when i say a wizzy solo'ing a Sailsbury giant, course as soon as he rooted it my machine crashed ( was a really crap system).

But yeah i'd give myself a old sk00l thumbs up :clap:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom