Any form of Guard in WoW?

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
is there any form of guard in WoW?

just at the moment im seriously questioning the need of pallys or warriors in end game pvp in groups, because warriors damage is decent but take a mage instead - enemy players KNOW who to target and so will shoot down the casters and theres enough CC to render pally and warrior useles (ok so pally can heal and has the buffs but can always get another priest instead)

unfortuntly it only seems that warrior pally would be useful to alllow casters to do uninteruptable damage and allow them to live longer - if a warrior/pally runs into combat first they can just be rooted or CCed out the way :S

Sinnica

Fledgling Freddie
this has occured to me aswell, really miss guard in WoW tbh :mad:

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
Darksword said:
just at the moment im seriously questioning the need of pallys or warriors in end game pvp in groups, because warriors damage is decent but take a mage instead - enemy players KNOW who to target and so will shoot down the casters and theres enough CC to render pally and warrior useles (ok so pally can heal and has the buffs but can always get another priest instead)

Paladin isn't really needed. They suck.

Warrior, however........

Mortal strike can make all the difference. The damage output with it is amazing really, but for group pvp, the affect it has on healing is huge! Think about it.

Warrior has loads of other stuff to make them very very good in pvp. Hamstring, int.shout, blah blah. Warrior doesnt die fast either. Too much of a nuisance to be ignored like a weak paladin, yet hard to keel! :D

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
hey lets get stick and face too

in fact, why arent we playing daoc!

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
I want to be able to 3 shot anyone with lifetap in 3 seconds. What, I thought this was daoc? :p

Turamber

Part of the furniture
They should introduce some more bullshit mythos about Azaroth having a gateway to Atlantis, and introduce mind numbingly boring challenges to "add content". While they're at it they should advertise for more players who can not spell and have no concept of grammar, but write things like "OMGIWTFPWNZDU!111", then we really would be onto a winner.

If you like DAoC so much, and let's fact it first love lasts a long time, then why not go back and play it? Leave WoW as it is please.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Turamber said:
Leave WoW as it is please.

Chances of this happening range from anywhere around "never" to "what the f*ck you smoking?" :D

But i do agree with the age old dream of a massive staying as it is. But if that was the case, there would be no new content either.

Nugusta

One of Freddy's beloved
The poor guy asked for a skill like the guard ability from DAoC, I agree with him, this one ability will make us more viable in pvp groups and will help slightly in pve, the chance to block in WoW isn't as high as it was in doac, I don't think its a game breaking suggestion.

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
k9awya said:
hey lets get stick and face too

in fact, why arent we playing daoc!

oh why dont u just shut ur stupid trap i asked if theres a fucking guard, why dont u stop trying 2 get ur +1 and post something useful?

Danya said:
I want to be able to 3 shot anyone with lifetap in 3 seconds. What, I thought this was daoc? :p

why dont u just fuck off?! I ASKED IS THERE GUARD! I DIDNT SAY IS THIS DAOC DID I U FUCK! :flame:

fucking as soon as i ask if theres a ability every1 seems 2 think im asking if this is daoc or try and make themselves look kick ass.

ill take it as a no

and - some of you guys are probably the same guys that say theres too many kids in the game or whatever - well imo ur the ones acting like the kids thinking ur the bo shank dizzle

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
bo shank dizzle

there is no guard

bo shank dizzle de doo dah

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
well this is more pvp not a /stick /face /afk game as daoc was really
you need people thinking on their toes not pressing the guard button, sticking to the guarded target and going back to watch eastenders - people really take for granted how stupidly good an ability guard was in daoc

as for cc you've got faps to use as your get out of jail card

p.s. bo shank dizzle? wtf?

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Darksword said:
and - some of you guys are probably the same guys that say theres too many kids in the game or whatever - well imo ur the ones acting like the kids thinking ur the bo shank dizzle

From what I've been reading in this thread you, kind of, have the right symptomphs (sp?) for being a kid though.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Have to agree. Going on a rampage about how people are f this and f that,isn't helping on the whole "please just answer my question and leave the flames back home" aspect.

Some people do use sarcasm as a form of reply, some people might misunderstand the point of the original post. Best way to answer is to take it cool, smoke one or something, think for a while and then perhaps explain the situation or just say that the "go back to daoc" comments arn't really relevant.

First time you pop the FU can on people, it's a mess not even Wij's mother would clean :D

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I was actually with darksword on this one to be honest, though yes, he did rather explode somewhat.

I think it is a valid question. In PvE a warrior's job is to protect the casters, and in PvP this is also a valid tactic, but other than trying to kill the enemy as fast as possible there is no other form of protection available to them. It's pretty frustrating knowing that your best chance of survival, aka a healer, is getting sliced and diced by a nasty evil rogue right in front of your eyes and all you can do is swing your mighty sword a few times while they die, before you get ganked yourself.

No, I don't need /stick or /face but some form of a protect might be a fair addition.

Now, get off the 'oh my god it's not DAOC FFS you n00b' bandwagon and argue the point properly.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
The, rather underrated, Paladin has the ability to cast a temporary shield on a party member which renders them immune to attack for a short period.

Whisperess

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
It's pretty frustrating knowing that your best chance of survival, aka a healer, is getting sliced and diced by a nasty evil rogue right in front of your eyes and all you can do is swing your mighty sword a few times while they die, before you get ganked yourself.
Would be interesting if the taunt stuff worked in PvP, ala FFXI - but I think Blizzard stated that they would never implement that as there is enough CC in the game already.

As for a Warrior, use that Hamstring and let the caster/healer gain some distance. For Paladin there's Hammer of Justice / Blessing of Protection/Sacrifice/Sanctuary and various heals/Lay on hands to use. The tools are there; use them.

gunner440

Hey Daddy Altman
Whisperess said:
As for a Warrior, use that Hamstring and let the caster/healer gain some distance. For Paladin there's Hammer of Justice / Blessing of Protection/Sacrifice/Sanctuary and various heals/Lay on hands to use. The tools are there; use them.

was about to type the same thing - hamstring and get him or her (priest/mage) to run runrunrunrurnunrunrnun. if you do land hamstring and the priest/mage doesn't react and remains stationary well that's their own fault, not the warrior's.

the idea of group pvp is that it is in fact - a group that works together and not just 5 people in the same party.

Sendraks

Fledgling Freddie
Warriors got their charge ability as well. If you have a hunter in your group, there's a good chance they can spot and tag the Rogue before it gets close allowing the Warrior to get up to it and beat seven bells out of it while the rest provide support.

Hunters also have concussive shot to slow (possibly stun) attackers that get too close to priests/Mages, giving them some chance to get to range. Not to mention traps that can be set up near the support classes which can provide a slight edge.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Jupitus said:
I was actually with darksword on this one to be honest, though yes, he did rather explode somewhat.

I think it is a valid question. In PvE a warrior's job is to protect the casters, and in PvP this is also a valid tactic, but other than trying to kill the enemy as fast as possible there is no other form of protection available to them. It's pretty frustrating knowing that your best chance of survival, aka a healer, is getting sliced and diced by a nasty evil rogue right in front of your eyes and all you can do is swing your mighty sword a few times while they die, before you get ganked yourself.

No, I don't need /stick or /face but some form of a protect might be a fair addition.

Now, get off the 'oh my god it's not DAOC FFS you n00b' bandwagon and argue the point properly.

Tbh the way i'd do it is to have a proper kind of taunt on a warrior which forced a target lock on the warrior for say 5 seconds when he taunted someone in PvP. Would mean that they could draw fire off of casters/ets and would be much more useful. Would mean that casters would have to think a but more on their feet rather than just clicking on a target and blasting away.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
to be honest.

healers in wow have ways of protecting themselves, a priest can certainly stay alive long enough for a warrior to kill a rogue ;>

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
Sendraks said:
Warriors got their charge ability as well. If you have a hunter in your group, there's a good chance they can spot and tag the Rogue before it gets close allowing the Warrior to get up to it and beat seven bells out of it while the rest provide support.

Hunters also have concussive shot to slow (possibly stun) attackers that get too close to priests/Mages, giving them some chance to get to range. Not to mention traps that can be set up near the support classes which can provide a slight edge.

this is essentially why id favour a hunter over a warrior - concussive shot, and wing clip (dont have to generate rage to use - i know it uses like 10 rage for hamstring but still need the rage to use it (and i know about bloodrage aswell but if its down or something)

Hunter has range and can slow down enemy to allow ur priests etc to get range and nuke/heal etc and they have a pet - so hunter can join in the battle as soon as you see an enemy, concussive shotting there melee char and maybe setting ur pet on there healer (yeh it'll get CCed but still) and then shooting at a target - maybe with there mark of the hunter could have mages also targetting that (no im not saying assist train everything) and quickly taking dow there healers or whatever.

to me warrior just doesnt seem that useful in group pvp :(

personally the idea of guard would be a benefit to the warrior class, making them more useful.

also to the person saying guard would suck coz ud just stick and go watch eastenders - that wouldnt work even in daoc :p

if you guard the priest u can also hit the offending rogue at the same time (or whatever)

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
well you're a fool

warrior has range in the form of charge and intercept. warrior also has almost infinitely more useful group pvp abilities than hunter. NO WARRIOR will have a problem finding 10 rage to hamstring. The effect MS has on healing alone makes it amazering for any form of pvp. Then consider the amazing damage it causes if you have a nice slow weapon.

Call warrior useless if you want. Dont play with them. It really is your loss :)

Darksword

Can't get enough of FH
ST^ said:
well you're a fool

warrior has range in the form of charge and intercept. warrior also has almost infinitely more useful group pvp abilities than hunter. NO WARRIOR will have a problem finding 10 rage to hamstring. The effect MS has on healing alone makes it amazering for any form of pvp. Then consider the amazing damage it causes if you have a nice slow weapon.

Call warrior useless if you want. Dont play with them. It really is your loss :)

i play a warrior ;)

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
ST^ said:
Paladin isn't really needed. They suck.

Really??!!
My main is a paladin and from talking in guild and with other players they are considered to be "OP". They have two immune shields (one self one self/other), in one on one duels this means paladins>>>warriors by a long way. I know this does not really apply to group situations, but again paladins have lots of useful utility for groups: heal, insta heal, auras, stun (and a kinda grp heal proc thing which i cant remember the name for:p). Then again i havnt played a warrior so i may be mistaken.
Sorry this isnt reallly on topic :(.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
Achilles said:
Really??!!
My main is a paladin and from talking in guild and with other players they are considered to be "OP". They have two immune shields (one self one self/other), in one on one duels this means paladins>>>warriors by a long way. I know this does not really apply to group situations, but again paladins have lots of useful utility for groups: heal, insta heal, auras, stun (and a kinda grp heal proc thing which i cant remember the name for:p). Then again i havnt played a warrior so i may be mistaken.
Sorry this isnt reallly on topic :(.

please, stop..
paladins are good once every 30mins? a good warrior will still beat them with their shields

Achilles

One of Freddy's beloved
k9awya said:
please, stop..
paladins are good once every 30mins? a good warrior will still beat them with their shields

Paladins shields are every 5 mins.......and are on separate timers. Not a lot of point in arguing this class is better than this etc etc, because WoW is (in most cases) well balanced. I am just making the point that paladins are not "useless, weak" etc

pez

Can't get enough of FH
they should take out assist from WoW its not DaoC ffs!

give /face though...

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
I disagree that warriors cant defend their groupmates - you just have to use certain skills, like:

#Hamstring (slows another players movment to 60% allowing casters and such to get away from them),
#Thunderclap (pbae reduced attackspeed),
#Piercing Howl (pbae daze),
#Intercept (charge with stun),
#Pummel (stops a spellcast and any other cast from same school for 4 sec),
#Recklesness (fear immunity for 15 sec),
#Disarm (no weapon for enemy for 10 sec)
#Shield Bash (stops a spellcast and any spell from same school for 8 sec),
#Intimidating Shout (pbae fear)

These are likely more usefull in groupbased pvp than the direct damage attacks also available.

ST^

Can't get enough of FH
hamstring/intercept/some spellcast interuption thing are of course really useful

dont discount how useful MS is tho

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom