Advice Any fishermen out there?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I'm thinking of nipping to Wales this weekend on my todd. The missus is away and the lad I was going to drag with me to do a bit of biking has just split up with his missus so he's got moving shit out of his house to do.

I'm thinking of taking my kayak instead. Maybe even leave the bike at home (gasp!). So I could do a bit of a jaunt around the Angelsey coastline and get some kayak fishing in whilst I'm at it.

Now my boat isn't an open-topped fishing kayak. It's a combi tourer - white water and long river trips. As such taking a long fishing rod with me is out of the question.

What I'm after is a cheap (but not utterly shite) telescopic rod and reel set that I could safely land four or five mackerel at a time without risk of breakage, or go after single bigger fish, yet stow away in my cockpit (or, if I must, unobtrusively on my deck bungees).

Any ideas?

There's another caveat. They're going to have to be an online seller that can deliver to me before Friday as I'll be going straight from work.

I can always go on amazon and buy any old shit - but if there's someone out there who partakes of the sport then always better to ask :)

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
You don't like fish?

I know it's a long way from my days kayaking the fairy glen but a trip round coastline like this, with a fuel burning stove, a tent to stop the evening in and fresh fish to eat sounds like a nice weekend to me :)

Edit: Thanks @Raven. I know how to fish tho - I just need a recommendation on a semi-decent telescopic rod + reel. I'll keep and use it semi regularly. I don't like to buy pap that goes in the bin after two uses - that seems so retardedly American ;)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
You don't like fish?

I know it's a long way from my days kayaking the fairy glen but a trip round coastline like this, with a fuel burning stove, a tent to stop the evening in and fresh fish to eat sounds like a nice weekend to me :)

Edit: Thanks @Raven. I know how to fish tho - I just need a recommendation on a semi-decent telescopic rod + reel. I'll keep and use it semi regularly. I don't like to buy pap that goes in the bin after two uses - that seems so retardedly American ;)
Bit dodgey going solo. No one to help you out if you get in trouble etc.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Bit dodgey going solo. No one to help you out if you get in trouble etc.
Meh. It's not like I'd be on a whitewater river. It's the sea. I'm competent. Barring a heart attack away from the shore there's very little that could go wrong - and if that happens I'm in wales and therefore fucked anyway :)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Meh. It's not like I'd be on a whitewater river. It's the sea. I'm competent. Barring a heart attack away from the shore there's very little that could go wrong - and if that happens I'm in wales and therefore fucked anyway :)

This is all some cunning scam isn't it? Next thing we know you'll be in Panama with a fake moustache.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Pfft. Fishing rod indeed. Real men use dynamite.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've caught a lot of mackerel before simply long-lining over the side of a yacht... drop the line straight down, no need for casting, and pull it up laden with delicious fishies! :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The last time I went fishing I was 10 years old. I cast the line and half the rod went with it. I just threw the rest into the Reservoir and decided that fishing is shit.

Lethul

FH is my second home
I fish quite a lot. But my general advice would be that it does not matter much when it comes to telescopic rods, none are considered good :)

If you want something better a 7 piece travel rod could be considered. But i understand why you want a telescopic one.

Penn are really good saltwatet reels.

Mackerel dont really need good equipment tho :)

Lethul

FH is my second home
I fish quite a lot. But my general advice would be that it does not matter much when it comes to telescopic rods, none are considered good :)

If you want something better a 7 piece travel rod could be considered. But i understand why you want a telescopic one.

Penn are really good saltwatet reels.

Mackerel dont really need good equipment tho :)

If you can find any shimano rod they are always a good rod

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
I'd love to get into fishing. Seems so relaxing. Just couldn't be bothered with studying all the gear and techniques etc :(

fettoken

I am a FH squatter
The last time I went fishing I was 10 years old. I cast the line and half the rod went with it. I just threw the rest into the Reservoir and decided that fishing is shit.

Would have had so much more respect for you if only you had been a fisherman instead of a bike nut nowadays!

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've caught a lot of mackerel before simply long-lining over the side of a yacht... drop the line straight down, no need for casting, and pull it up laden with delicious fishies! :)
Used to do that when I was, like, twelve. I'd tie eighteen mackerel feathers on a line, tie it round my waist, go kayaking for a couple of hours and harvest the fish when I got back to the beach. But it's a ballache winding all that wire in.

Short rod + reel is the way to go. Then I can kayak, fish for a bit when I'm knackered, have a bite to eat and stuff, see if I catch, if not, pack rod + reel away easily, move on, rinse-repeat.

I'm not looking at casting at all - just a telescopic rod long enough that I can follow fish round the front of my boat if that's the way they want to go.

Double user-error. Firstly, broke rod. Second - in a reservoir. Only ever sea fishing for me. I wouldn't eat any of the UK's freshwater fish and I've never understood catching a fish, putting a bloody great hole in it's mouth and then throwing it back in the hope that it's not damaged beyond repair.

Fishing is for catching food. Throwing back is only if they're too small. Rest go in freezer.

If you can find any shimano rod they are always a good rod

Yeah, I saw that somewhere else too. They're getting a bit pricey for soon-to-be-jobless me tho :(

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
Is fishing like dogging that you do at sea

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Is fishing like dogging that you do at sea
The only animal sex going on today is this:
runpepparun.gif
:)

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Used to do that when I was, like, twelve. I'd tie eighteen mackerel feathers on a line, tie it round my waist, go kayaking for a couple of hours and harvest the fish when I got back to the beach. But it's a ballache winding all that wire in.

Short rod + reel is the way to go. Then I can kayak, fish for a bit when I'm knackered, have a bite to eat and stuff, see if I catch, if not, pack rod + reel away easily, move on, rinse-repeat.

I'm not looking at casting at all - just a telescopic rod long enough that I can follow fish round the front of my boat if that's the way they want to go.

Double user-error. Firstly, broke rod. Second - in a reservoir. Only ever sea fishing for me. I wouldn't eat any of the UK's freshwater fish and I've never understood catching a fish, putting a bloody great hole in it's mouth and then throwing it back in the hope that it's not damaged beyond repair.

Fishing is for catching food. Throwing back is only if they're too small. Rest go in freezer.

Yeah, I saw that somewhere else too. They're getting a bit pricey for soon-to-be-jobless me tho :(

This. Funnily enough I used to go sea fishing around Anglesey when I was a kid in pretty much the same way, and for mackerel too. Used to do it in boats or off Beaumaris pier.

Then we moved to England and I tried coarse fishing and it just bored the arse off me and I gave up. Only fishing I've done since has been some boat fishing on holiday abroad, but I doubt I'd have the patience to do it here, I'd just end up playing with my phone the whole time.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
I caught a flatfish once while diving, just stabbed it in the back and brought it out still on the knife, we put it on the grill and after 20 mins pulled it out, there was just a fish skeleton and a pool of oil in the tray,,,weirdest cooking experience ever

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Fishermen tend to be outrageous cunts.

Sweeping statement? Yes.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
What about cyclists who fish? That must be like the perfect storm of cunt...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom