Any english servers out there?

Danhyr

Fledgling Freddie
dont come near crushridge 70% Italians

I am getting fed up of Italians... Very arrogant.. ive been kicked from grps before for not speaking italian

i have noticed though that all italian words seem to end in a vowel.

Das_Hibbie

Fledgling Freddie
One thing I've really noticed about the Swedes in WoW is that they speak quite lousy English compared to the ones in Daoc. Makes one assume that the general swede playing WoW is a lot younger though since the education system is quite excellent in Sweden, especially the English education compared to many other countries.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Das_Hibbie said:
One thing I've really noticed about the Swedes in WoW is that they speak quite lousy English compared to the ones in Daoc. Makes one assume that the general swede playing WoW is a lot younger though since the education system is quite excellent in Sweden, especially the English education compared to many other countries.

Tbh its got very little to do with the education the primary schools provide in english - i can honestly say i didnt learn a word of english there. All my english ive picked up myself by reading books in english exclusively (cant remember when i last read a book in swedish) and watching non subtitled, non dubbed movies and tv series. I think the reason why many swedes have a passable english is that we are surrounded by english all day long - most of our tv shows are from the US and its easy to find english litterature etc, plus we have an excellent internet backbone so most people have high speed internet connections and thus spend time on the net where most communication and websites are in english.

And well, i guess thats the difference - those that only rely on the schoolsystem to provide them with their english skills wont get any better at it than students from other countries. What we see in WoW is probably a lot of youngsters, as you say, that have yet to open a book for fun, or seek out info in english on topics that interest them etc.

Keltic

Fledgling Freddie
Rookiescot said:
TBH I think its a bit of a shame that people like the Swedes, Spanish, Russians and all the others dont have their own language servers.
After all it cant be easy trying to play a fairly complicated game with lots of text to read if your understanding of the language is compromised.
I take it that the money these people pay to Blizzard is comperable to what the French, German or us English speaking populations pay?
Dont get me wrong. We have all met the odd guy who spams messages in a language we cant understand. You get ignorant people ALL over the world.
But for the most part these people are trying hard to have fun in an enviroment many of whom are finding difficult.
Yes, in /1 chat or the like it probably is reasonable to expect people to talk in the server language.
But they may be asking a question to which they dont know the comparable English words.

For the record....if I do get griefed by someone in a language I dont understand I just insult them in Gaelic.
Then I just run off giggling my ass off.

hahaha gaelic woopy :D Póg mo thón hahaha :kissit:

Zill

Loyal Freddie
Being English, I havent encounted too many problems with language barriers on the Bloodscalp server. When I have seen players speaking in Dutch or Swedish in general chat (which hasnt been very often) somebody usually replies with, "In English please!" to which they then appologize and continue in English. If Im in a group and members start talking with each other in a diffferent language, I simply tell them I only speak English and on every occasion theyve changed to speaking English.

I have never been thrown out of any groups for not being able to speak a required language and my Orc Warrior is level 50 now. Once way back in Wailing Cavaerns I joined a group and was asked my nationality. After giving my answer I was informed they were all Dutch then they started making little evil smilies. I simply retorted with an "Oh shit" type reply half-expecting to be booted from the group, but they just laughed it off and on we went! During the trip, they all spoke English and were very friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom