Any car electrical boffins here?

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
So I've got a weird thing with my car. This morning my mate informed me that my nearside brake light wasn't working. I dutifully changed the bulb but it's still not working. Turns out the side light on that side also doesn't work. The indicator works, as does the front side light on that side. Anyone got any clue as to what's wrong? Fuse maybe? 2005 Ford Focus.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
@Access Denied - My experience is with far older cars, specifically classic minis, but it might be an earth problem. The positive 'input' for the lights come from the battery via the switch, but rather than run a wire all the way back to the negative side of the battery it is likely simply to have a wire which is attached to the bodywork somewhere to make contact and allow the 'flow' of electricity through the lights to be complete. If this connection to the chassis becomes loose or corroded it can prevent the lights working, and it's very possible they share the same negative or 'earth' connection.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Failing that, hit it with a hammer, see if that helps...

Access Denied

So I took it to the garage to have the lights looked at and the bonnet release sorted out. Apparently the bulb I put in there was the wrong one, which is interesting since I bought it from Halfords and they've got this nifty little ipad motherfucker that tells you which one you need. The bonnet release needed a new cable kit. £168 poorer and it's sorted.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
You'll hate me for this but don't Halfords install bulbs for like £5ish. I only remember because my wife used to have a Citroen which blew through bulbs and I got fed up of doing it myself on the cold or rain, etc.

Access Denied

You'll hate me for this but don't Halfords install bulbs for like £5ish. I only remember because my wife used to have a Citroen which blew through bulbs and I got fed up of doing it myself on the cold or rain, etc.

They do but since it doesn't happen often and I'm perfectly capable I was loathe to spend the money. Like I said, I got bulb the ipad thingy told me to get and fitted it no problem. I don't know what the garage were on about but the lights are working now, plus the replaced the indicator bulbs which have been an advisory for two years. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom