Any advice - low fps

T

Trem

Oh god don't get me wrong Throddy he didnt find it funny he was as disgusted as me about it, it was one of those things that you can't look away from and it was his mate who sent him the link, it just kinda puts everything into perspective, so what if I'm skint and stuff like that, please don't think he was enjoying it though he wasn't we were both upset by it.

S

S-Gray

Originally posted by Tremor{KEA}
I'm depressed because my friend showed me a nasty website which showed a Russian soldier having his throat cut by Chechniyn(sp) rebels, I'm sorry guys but this world is shit and I never ever want to bring kids into this, so sorry to bring a bummer on this thread :(

I seen one too hate them clips :/

W

Wilier

Originally posted by ~Lazarus~

Anyone understand if connectivity is linked to fps?

Thanks for the advice so far (even if it didnt help)

I gave up playing last night and turned to MoHAA

Have you tried playing it on a LAN (as in created your own game) at least then you will know if it connection related.

L

legendario

Originally posted by Summo
Easy there, legend. Anti-aliasing is entirely a graphics card feature. If your graphics card is up to the job (and a Ti4x00 series definitely is) then 4x AA will not effect performance at all. I run 4x in ALL games, including GTA3 which is a resource hog and there's no drop in performance.

Oh...i thought it was a cpu thang too.

i only run 2x though as 4x doesnt make that much difference on my l337 *cough* shite monitor.

T

throdgrain

i always leave the box ticked that says "let the game decide how much AA to use".
Is that right I wonder ??

T

Trem

Well i had it ticked(fuzzy text and all) and I also ticked what Summo said, I couldn't hit a thing all night so I removed said ticks and lo and behold the magic returns. Damn you Summo and your tempting ways, I hate you for ruining my evening:eek:

;)

S

S-Gray

You mean you could Hit something before you modified the settings?!

T

Trem

I ruled last night after turning off those settings you cheeky shell suit wearing car stealer:p

S

Skyler

I can use AA 4x and still achieve solid 100fps with my gf4

L

legendario

I ruled last night after turning off those settings you cheeky shell suit wearing car stealer:p

OMG...teh...ribs....they hurt :D LMFAO :D

L

~Lazarus~

must have been after I disconnected :rolleyes: :p

L

~Lazarus~

Just a little update here guys (as if you were interested :rolleyes: )

Changed the settings last night and managed to get 50fps (playable)

Aditionally, ran straight through a smoke gren and the gfx never even flinched.

More tweaking ..... tbc

T

Trem

must have been after I disconnected :rolleyes: :p
You were only on for 63 seconds Laz, why did you leave? I will have you know I hate Cobble and that damn 1tchy kept waiting for me, just me no one else, I still love him though. Honestly after I turned the settings off I was a lot better, it seemed like my bullets weren't hitting where they should, can this kind of thing happen just because of a gfx card setting?

L

~Lazarus~

You were only on for 63 seconds Laz, why did you leave? I will have you know I hate Cobble and that damn 1tchy kept waiting for me, just me no one else, I still love him though. Honestly after I turned the settings off I was a lot better, it seemed like my bullets weren't hitting where they should, can this kind of thing happen just because of a gfx card setting?

I didnt leave by choice m8. Cobble isnt my favourite, but I stick at it (you never know).

My whole PC froze up last night and I had to reboot. I think NTLWORLD are pissing about with me too. After 8 - 10 attempts I managed to get connected - at 32100 kbs. Took me another 3 attempts to connect at 52000.

By that time, the server was full - had to go elsewhere and get humiliated.

Was looking forward to blasting you AND Throddy.

S

Skyler

Damn tweaking pe0ns....

/me basks in the glory of solid 100fps!!! :D

U

-Ultimate

Anyone know What the difference is between quincunx aa and 4x aa :eek: :confused:

L

legendario

Originally posted by -Ultimate
Anyone know What the difference is between quincunx aa and 4x aa :eek: :confused:

I never say that outloud....I get into trouble.

L

~Lazarus~

Apart from the obvious 3X and 4X ?

U

-Ultimate

Apart from the obvious 3X and 4X ?

Well sorry for being a thick Geordie, i didn't know quin was three :(

Thought it was some extra special thing since it wasn't just 3x

L

~Lazarus~

Well sorry for being a thick Geordie, i didn't know quin was three :(

Thought it was some extra special thing since it wasn't just 3x

Sorry Ultimate. Wasnt trying to take the piss.

Mine was more of a question really - i.e. were you asking what it meant or what it did?

I think Im just digging a bigger hole here so I'll stop.

Dont take it too hard - I think most folk know that Geordies are thick anyway - they dont need to make a special efoort in your case.

Oh dear - that didnt sound right , did it?

U

-Ultimate

Everytime i stop lurking and actually post i always end up getting me coat :(

L

legendario

i dont think it is 3x

for a start ... quin means 5...but it isn't 5xAA

Its a GF4 specific type of AA...meant to simulate 4x but with less GPU usage I thinx :/

U

-Ultimate

According to my google sources, its new to gforce cards from gf3, and is basically near 4x aa but at near 2x cpu usage.

S

S-Gray

oi Trem, dont piss me off or i'll knife you again, gerit ;)

-- Anyway i looked up Quincunts and heres wnat it says--:

Geforce3 Features: Antialiasing
Antialiasing, a technique for reducing the unsightly "jaggies", or stair-step effect around diagonal lines on screen, has been implemented on Nvidia cards in the past. But there's always been a significant performance loss when using it. Whereas previous cards have offered 2x and 4x oversampling (rendering the image at double or quadruple its output resolution, then scaling it down) the Geforce3 offers a new mode, known as "quincunx", after the pattern made by the spots on the "five" side of a die. It essentially offers the high quality of 4x with the memory and speed penalty of 2x oversampling.

Left, AA off. Right, quincunx AA. Click for larger versions

Rather than generating the image at a higher resolution then rescaling it, quincunx antialiasing works by sampling existing, neighbouring pixels and using their colour to determine the final colour of a point - known as "multisampling". This method is more efficient than standard antialiasing; the quality is good, and thanks to the fast processor and memory it's well worth making the trade-off in most contemporary games. It improves the image quality no end, and is probably the first time the technique has been something you'd consider leaving on permanently.

L

legendario

Gray you quincunt.

you made my brain melt with that boring post :)

L

~Lazarus~

Originally posted by legendario
i dont think it is 3x

for a start ... quin means 5...but it isn't 5xAA

Its a GF4 specific type of AA...meant to simulate 4x but with less GPU usage I thinx :/

Originally posted by Some Old Git
Dont take it too hard - I think most folk know that Geordies are thick anyway - they dont need to make a special efoort in your case.

Maybe Im actually a Geordie and no-one told me :(

L

legendario

and I was nearly right with my post...i just said it in a less boring manner :D

L

~Lazarus~

Laz, you get your coat, i'll order the taxi :)

You paying for the taxi ?

Where are we* going?

* or is it "am I"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom