Antivirus for Laptop

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
My freebie McAfee is about to expire. Not sure whether to go with McAfee for another year or go with F Secure.

Any advice?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Not looking at dodgy websites.

best anti-virus ever.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Avira has the best detection rate at the moment. It's free offering does the job quite well.

Syri

FH is my second home
I'd also go with Avira. I wouldn't put mcafee on my PC if I was paid to... well, if I was paid enough I might put it on a VM that never gets used... but anyway, mcafee is pretty crappy for what it costs, Avira is free, has great detection rates, and does everything you need without paying a penny. It might not have a firewall, but in most cases, the windows firewall plus your router will be alright, unless you connect to a lot of public networks, but even then, you're probably better paying for a better one than mcafee, take Avira for AV, and you'll probably have still saved money.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Never heard of Avira, but will check it out

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I just use windows defender and not had an issue in years. For both firewall and virus.

Guess im not the average click on a link pleb

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Stick with Windows Defender, do the occasional scan with something like Malwarebytes, that's all you need. And don't click on dodgy links in emails.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Stick with Windows Defender, do the occasional scan with something like Malwarebytes, that's all you need. And don't click on dodgy links in emails.

And that is essentially the problem with relying in Windows built in security, its OK but not great. If you have kids that try all sorts of dodgy stuff to watch videos/streams etc. usually recommended by others kids or a wife who is not tech savvy you leave yourself open to issues. If it was just me I would not use such tools but because of the family I choose to put some extra protection in.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Kids / Your Parents should be given Linux, not Windows. Protects them from most malware without any effort.

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
Kids / Your Parents should be given Linux, not Windows. Protects them from most malware without any effort.
I used linux/BSD Unix at work for years, no intention of taking that home with me. At home I want a media enriched easy to use and configure environment, not spend days using command lines to install shit that should already be there.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I used linux/BSD Unix at work for years, no intention of taking that home with me. At home I want a media enriched easy to use and configure environment, not spend days using command lines to install shit that should already be there.
Mint or Ubuntu work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom