Anti Virus thread

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Right, my subscription to NAV 2004 runs out soon, and I want to know what the best anti-virus option is.

I require inbound email scanning, background scanning of common file types, and obviously good detection and elimination.

I believe that AVG is free, and can do all this.

The question is, which is better - the newest, free AVG; or my copy of NAV 2004?

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Norton is satans nut butter. Stay away.

AVG will do you fine, go for it.

Earl

Fledgling Freddie
I've found AVG picks up viruses and can't seem to do shit all with them..

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Earl said:
I've found AVG picks up viruses and can't seem to do shit all with them..
Try scanning in safe mode.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
SheepCow said:
I'm currently using Windows One Care :)
You could just suck uncle bills willy, it'd be more straightforward :p

Vae

Resident Freddy
What about Avast? It's free for home users and seems to work well for me.

Another one to consider is Nod32 (which I know Deebs at least uses) which I've heard good things about.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
I'll give the nod to nod32 (lol), works fine has a low memory/cpu footprint. I love the constant definition updates (3-5 a day).

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Is Nod32 worth the outlay though, compared to AVG? I'm not bothered, I'd sooner have something that doesn't use 54 processes and 9gig of ram like NAV does, if it does a better job that is :)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I've been using Norton Internet Security for about 5 years, I am finally getting off it because it slows the system down too much.

Gone to AVG and ZoneAlarm, both do the job well, with less processor impact.

Note that scheduling is a limited option in the AVG Free Edition, but other than that its a fine bit of software, and free.

BTW, if you do decide to continue with Norton, I recommend you don't subscribe but get a new copy off eBay, its all legal and a lot cheaper and you get the latest edition, if you don't mind not having a box and manual.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Also using NAV untill recently. Sub ran out and CBA to renew. It was just a pain towards the end. Stupid problems with it etc.

Now using AVAST - It's seems decent, i don't generally have virus problems (Or any experience in that area really..) so i can't comment on how good it is protection wise.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Xane, just out of interest I recently had a problem with Zonealarm. Well 2 actually.

One was the stupendous amount of memory that vsmon.exe was using, and the other was that version 6.x of Zonealarm introduces the brand new feature of massive lag spikes while playing Steam games.

I've removed it, enabled Windows firewall, and with the help of this page I've managed to completely stealth my computer.

Its a bit faster now as well.

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
I've removed it, enabled Windows firewall, and with the help of this page I've managed to completely stealth my computer.

One of the key feature with ZoneAlarm and other similar products is the ability to control which installed programs have access to the internet, this is useful for detecting trojans and spyware, plus you can limit programs that periodically "check" your installation.

You don't get this with Windows Firewall, and it doesn't apply to external firewalls like the one in your router.

I've yet to use Steam "in anger" via ZoneAlarm since it has been installed, so thanks for the heads up.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
no probs with ZA and steam ere.

soz about jumping in this thread but somats been bugging me about norton corp:-

anyone ere used norton corp? i used to have the normal one of norton before. and virus scanwould take a while. with corp edition its doing it all in 10 mins, ive set it to scan all drives and everything and still its doing it in 10m mins. there any way for sure to check if its checking all the drives?

Draylor

Part of the furniture
xane said:
One of the key feature with ZoneAlarm and other similar products is the ability to control which installed programs have access to the internet
And one of the side effects of the piss poor way ZoneAlarm does this is to break assorted Windows apps in weird ways regardless of how ZA has been configured to handle them.

ZAs tech support folks seem to have the level of competence youd expect from an Indian call centre, so your better off without it if you actually want everything to work properly.

You did the right thing getting rid of that crap Tom ;)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
xane said:
One of the key feature with ZoneAlarm and other similar products is the ability to control which installed programs have access to the internet, this is useful for detecting trojans and spyware, plus you can limit programs that periodically "check" your installation

Why can't the Windows Firewall do this? You can specify which programs can access the Internet.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
Windows firewall doesnt (by default anyway, maybe it can be done) ask permission before allowing network access to any new (or modified) app.

It also doesnt allow permitting apps to establish incoming/outgoing connections separately.

Windows firewall wins though: it doesnt break properly written apps ;)

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Ah. Get OneCare, it adds said functionality to the built in firewall. Except the inbound/outbound only thing.

Draylor

Part of the furniture
No thanks: adding that will probably break stuff - it does when anyone else does it.

It might be of use to folks with machines riddled with ad/spy ware, its just a pain in the arse for anyone with a clue that likes their machines to work properly.

Penguin

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
Windows firewall doesnt (by default anyway, maybe it can be done) ask permission before allowing network access to any new (or modified) app.

I've not fiddeled with Windows Firewall at all and it asks permission before allowing network access. I'm pretty sure it would be a default setting.. Why wouldn't it be?

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
I think it does for new, but it def. doesn't detect changed apps. The only reason I'm using OneCare is I hate Norton more :)

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Draylor said:
It might be of use to folks with machines riddled with ad/spy ware, its just a pain in the arse for anyone with a clue that likes their machines to work properly.

If you're that person, you'd have a router and thus not need ZA. Plus, you'd probably not need anti-virus software either.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
nath said:
If you're that person, you'd have a router and thus not need ZA. Plus, you'd probably not need anti-virus software either.
Everyone should have AV software, you can't control random dippos e-mailing nasties into your inbox.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
But you can not open silly attachments - and keep Outlook up to date to stop the exploits.

Plus, the vast majority of viruses are a piece of piss to remove if you know what you're doing.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I don't though. I can build a computer and know roughly what stuff does, but I keep my brain firmly in "thick mode" when it comes to computers.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
Well, the fact is these things are a piece of piss if you've done it before/taken the time to work it out. However, it is astonishingly boring so I certainly wouldn't recommend going unprotected to most people. Stick with AVG free, it'll do you fine. Plus, if you've got a router, don't bother with a firewall. If you haven't got a router - get one, Windows + no NAT = baaaaad.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Well as of today Norton decided that I was no longer worthy :) Instead of just failing to update, it turned itself off completely and wouldn't play ball :) Today is the day the subs run out, so I've installed NOD32 and its looking good. Takes up hardly any room, and the computer seems to be running faster as well :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom