Another studentquestion!

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Currently in the works on writing a to-bring list to when I travel to uni at Glasgow in September. What do you guys bring? A full to-bring list if possible, with tips and everything. I know they say you're supposed to bring cutlery and crokery, but do that include the whole thing, with saucepan, pans and everything else? How much do I need to bring o_O?

Also, another question. I currently have a 3 mobilesubscription. Can I somehow upgrade it to be able to use it in Scotland, or is it better to a new one there?

Any studenthalls-related tips appreciated people! :)

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
How about a stab vest?

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Mmmm yeah, nr 3 on the list. Check.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
If you're going to buy these things anyway then don't bring them. Get your parent to drop you off with the minimum then have them take you shopping for all the pans and shit. Also get them to buy you 2 weeks food. This will be the best shit you eat for the next 3 years.

pez

Can't get enough of FH
anyway you're 2 months too early.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Whats the point of us telling you what you need to bring if we don't know how you will transport it there. If you are going from Sweden to Scotland you should do what Pez says, take the absolute minimal and buy the stuff when you arrive. You can probably get alot of stuff from charity shops. It would also help to know where you are staying, university halls of residence often have alot of stuff already there.

One thing I would suggest is to take some basic medication, such as paracetamol etc. The chances are you will need some in your first few weeks be it due to freshers flu or a hangover or some other random injury. It can be the kind of thing that is a bit difficult to buy when you first arrive in a foreign country.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Yeah going from Sweden. Staying at Murano Street Student Villages at Uni. of Glasgow.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
If you are coming from Sweden you are going to have a maximum weight limit of around 20kg. Its not particularly pleasant having to travel long distances to your student accommodation and you want to keep the stuff you are transporting to a minimum. The essentials are your laptop + clothes. Then you want to bring toiletries + stationary.

From here:

• All rooms £86.38 per week
  • Fees include: utilities; internet access; personal possessions' insurance ; access to on-site laundry facilities; access to SRC Halls to Campus minibus service
  • All rooms are furnished with: bed, duvet, pillow and bedlinen; desk; desklamp; 2 chairs; wardrobe; storage shelves; book shelf; noticeboard
  • Well equipped kitchens with: cookers; fridge-freezers; microwaves; kettles; toasters; dining table and chairs; individual shelf space
  • Students need to provide their own crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils and towels
  • Computer cluster and common room
  • 20-25 minutes walk from University
  • Wash hand basin in room

I would say take a knife + spoon + tupperware container and then you can make yourself cereal and or toast. Buy anything you need once you arrive and be aware that you will want to locate somewhere to store it because you don't want to be transporting that back and forth from sweden.

Do you have anyone to contact at Glasgow? The university says it provides things like bedlinen but that can often be pretty basic.

With regards to your phone the chances are you will get a much better deal in Scotland. Do take your current phone because you may well be able to get a pay and go sim (that suits your lifestyle) and just put it into your phone. For calling home etc I would recommend getting something like skype. Even if your parents/family don't use the internet much you can set up a Swedish number for them to call which will go through to your laptop. (It will just be a local call for them and cost you nothing, although the service from skype costs a few euros a month)

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
How about a stab vest?

Wise advice.

I love Glasgow, I've had some of the best nights outs of any city in Glasgow. However, I wouldn't like to stray too far out of the nice bits (yes... there are nice bits).

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
When I was at Uni I shared with some Norgies in the first year and they just brought clothes and money with them, everything else was cheaper to buy in the UK (they did get food parcels of that weird sweet cheese and herring delivered though). Get here, go to Argos. Job done. If you're staying in Halls you won't even need crockery and cutlery.

As for the phone, get a local one.

leviathane

Part of the furniture
best to try an see if theres a wilkenson's about, they do cheap as chip pans n shit that you won't loose any sleep over if they break. They pretty much do most things students need.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Yeah, now when I think it through it would be fucking mental to bring stuff from the home. Perhaps I just bring my wok, I love my wok. Will prolly be able to live outa it for quite a while :D

I dont have any real contact in Glasgow but I guess I can mail any questions, have been doing it up til now.

Probably going to buy one of these all-unied packs. Sounds good.

Jeros

Part of the furniture
From my experiance of being a student on my own so far as kitchen stuff goes:

1 x plate
1 x bowl
1 x pan
1 x frying pan
1 x knife,fork and spoon (tho you can get a full cutlerly set for like 2 quid summik at tescos)
1 x thing-to-stir-stuff-with
1 x baking tray
1 x microwaveable container
3-4 x storage containers for keeping leftovers in the fridge

All of the above can be got dirt cheap at tescos, dont buy the vaule pans as they are shite, but i got a decent stainless steel one for 5 quid from there

Aoami

I am a FH squatter
All of the above can be got dirt cheap at tescos, dont buy the vaule pans as they are shite, but i got a decent stainless steel one for 5 quid from there

lol yeah, i learnt that the hard way. bought one of their budget frying pans and it was fucked after i used it twice.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I actually agree with Jeros on that, don't forget a cup or two!

leviathane

Part of the furniture
just go to ikea or wilkensons and pick everything up on the cheap, tescos does the job too :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom